PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU marketing in Houston

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU marketing in Houston

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:12 am

Image001.jpg
Image001.jpg (134.11 KiB) Viewed 843 times
SMU really needs step up its marketing efforts. In the past few years I've seen TCU billboards in Houston near the Woodlands off of I-45 and now this in the Houston Chronicle sports page!
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TCU marketing in Houston

Postby huskerpony » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:34 am

If we had a baseball team to market, that would be a great idea.

Saw that kid pitch yesterday. He was really impressive. I did sport the SMU shirt to the games, so it wasn't all purple. Somehow my nephew talked my sister into buying a frog shirt. I wasn't happy with her, but I guess "horned frog" is funny to a four year old.
huskerpony
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:28 am

meanwhile I'll bet the majority of folks in Collin County don't know that they'll drive right by a D1 football stadium by heading south on 75 for about 20-25 minute
RGV Pony

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:35 am

One thing I've noticed is that probably 90% of the SMU ads out there are ads for the Cox MBA program. Cox seems to understand the value of advertising (see their ads at Love Field, TV spots, newspaper and magazine ads, etc. etc. etc.). It's a shame that the university does not understand that.
CalallenStang

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:53 am

CalallenStang wrote:One thing I've noticed is that probably 90% of the SMU ads out there are ads for the Cox MBA program. Cox seems to understand the value of advertising (see their ads at Love Field, TV spots, newspaper and magazine ads, etc. etc. etc.). It's a shame that the university does not understand that.

I agree. ditto Cox's ads on The Ticket. Also, they've actually increased their presence and updated their ads at Love.
RGV Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Is there anyway we can trade our elite soccer program for an elite baseball program? College baseball is so much more marketable than college soccer. Could we fit a baseball diamond in where Westcott Field is now?
East Coast Mustang

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:01 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Is there anyway we can trade our elite soccer program for an elite baseball program? College baseball is so much more marketable than college soccer. Could we fit a baseball diamond in where Westcott Field is now?

FACT: That parcel of land is where Armstrong Field (baseball) used to be.
CalallenStang

Postby 03Mustang » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:07 pm

RGV Pony wrote:meanwhile I'll bet the majority of folks in Collin County don't know that they'll drive right by a D1 football stadium by heading south on 75 for about 20-25 minute

Drives me crazy that there is ZERO SMU gear anywhere in Collin County. I was at [deleted]'s Sporting Goods in Allen yesterday and there was no SMU (OR TCU, for that matter) gear anywhere. Same at Academy in Plano and McKinney.

Then again, most people up here are more excited about our colossal waste of taxpayer money high school stadium than college ball anyway.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:40 pm

03Mustang wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:meanwhile I'll bet the majority of folks in Collin County don't know that they'll drive right by a D1 football stadium by heading south on 75 for about 20-25 minute

Drives me crazy that there is ZERO SMU gear anywhere in Collin County. I was at [deleted]'s Sporting Goods in Allen yesterday and there was no SMU (OR TCU, for that matter) gear anywhere. Same at Academy in Plano and McKinney.

Then again, most people up here are more excited about our colossal waste of taxpayer money high school stadium than college ball anyway.

PGA Tour Superstore in Plano/almost to Frisco has SMU stuff.
RGV Pony

Postby Wuba » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:50 pm

03Mustang wrote:

You should open a store and sell some.
Wuba
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:51 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Image001.jpg
SMU really needs step up its marketing efforts. In the past few years I've seen TCU billboards in Houston near the Woodlands off of I-45 and now this in the Houston Chronicle sports page!

That same ad was in 6-7 daily newspapers throughout the state. Somebody is on the ball.
Bergermeister

Postby The PonyGrad » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:45 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
03Mustang wrote:

PGA Tour Superstore in Plano/almost to Frisco has SMU stuff.

Yep, gotta shirt there.
:D
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby peruna81 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:57 am

The Big 12 has only a verbal agreement that the conference will maintain a 10 team structure...nothing is in writing yet. TCU realizes that keeping the media buzz about realignment (particularly in a major market like Houston) allows them to remain in the fringe of the conversation.

The folks in Austin/College Station/Norman are by no means wedded to the new Mack 10. The 'leftover 7' should use this reprieve (real or perceived) to make bold plans for the day that those schools walk. TCU seems to be adopting that tack. I hope SMU chooses to do the same.

l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Is there anyway we can trade our elite soccer program for an elite baseball program? College baseball is so much more marketable than college soccer. Could we fit a baseball diamond in where Westcott Field is now?

And perhaps softball for equestrian and rowing?
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jason54858 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:17 pm

I dont know if you can, but i wish you could. I didn't know college soccer even existed until I came to SMU. Not having a college baseball team to root for is a travisty in my mind. When I moved to Texas I thought baseball was huge down here considering the caliber of players coming out of the state into the Major Leagues. I root for the Rangers now, but it would be nice to have a college to root for.
jason54858
Varsity

Next

Return to Football