PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Darryl Fields to Transfer

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Darryl Fields to Transfer

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:10 pm

I admire people who can finish what they start. EVEN if its much later.
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Hoop Fan wrote:dont know how big a factor but has to be frustrating that JJ won't give anybody but Line any carries.

If Zach keeps producing the way he did last year, it will be tough for anyone else to earn any carries

I agree HF - you need to give him a rest out there. Doesn't make sense to play the entire game.
GiddyUp

Postby mrydel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:18 pm

GiddyUp wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
Hoop Fan wrote:dont know how big a factor but has to be frustrating that JJ won't give anybody but Line any carries.

If Zach keeps producing the way he did last year, it will be tough for anyone else to earn any carries

I agree HF - you need to give him a rest out there. Doesn't make sense to play the entire game.

There is nothing wrong with playing a whole game. Players have done it for years and in the more distant past they went both ways. If he gets to 150 or 200 yards perhaps he needs a brief rest if it is a hot day, but in normal play there is no problem with playing every play. Much more concerned with injury than rest.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:25 pm

I generally agree but if you can find a change of pace those guys can really cause problems. Kind of like the McCluster kid at Ole Miss a few years ago. I don't really think Earl Campbell (Pope) or Dickerson(Fields) are really what I'd like to see in that role to complement Line. Texas Tech under Leach had a lot of luck with the scatbacks when they spread their OLM-but they had big time talent in their OLine. Jones seems to definitely prefer the big back type.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:41 pm

[/quote]
There is nothing wrong with playing a whole game. Players have done it for years and in the more distant past they went both ways. If he gets to 150 or 200 yards perhaps he needs a brief rest if it is a hot day, but in normal play there is no problem with playing every play. Much more concerned with injury than rest.[/quote]

This isn't the old time...

He probably blocks more than he runs and got injured last year. I'd like to see him not get INJURED - we don't have a reliable backup. If we had a McNeal type to complement Line, it would be great.
GiddyUp

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Yeah like we need someone eligible to throw a ball to?
One Trick Pony

Postby Junior » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Just a question, but have we had any POSITIVE news come out of the program lately?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby mrydel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:24 am

I have no arguement with a change of pace theory. Just saying that it should not be a problem for any of the skill position players to play the whole game from a stamina perspective. Padron does not sit. Sanders did not sit out. AR did not sit out. Beasley does not sit. As far as injury, I would say if we can predict on which play Line may be injured, then yes, sit him out that play.
mrydel

Darryl Fields to Transfer

Postby GiddyUp » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:29 am

I like to play a backup every know and again so when they have to play they are ready. We did play Line and McNeal by the way
GiddyUp

Postby mrydel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:51 am

GiddyUp wrote:I like to play a backup every know and again so when they have to play they are ready. We did play Line and McNeal by the way

This I totally agree with. I am just saying I do not think rest should be a viable reason. It is nice to know your back up has some experience. Problem we have had is we never seem to get to a point of being comfortable enough to put in an inexperienced backup. But yes, we need depth and the depth should be experienced. The OL does need rest and they have done a pretty good job of getting some depth there.
mrydel

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:15 am

He was highly recruited out of HS and probably was told that he'd get lots of playing time at SMU right out of the chute. But he got Wally Pipped. As a true freshman, he needed time to learn the offense, Line came in and did a great job. And suddenly Fields was looking at a back-up role until his senior year. Add in our more rigorous academic side and the writing was on the wall. I wish him well and hope that he turns things around so that he can play FBS again.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby westexSMU » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:15 am

In coming RB, KC Nlemchi 6'0" 205, will remind you of a quicker smaller version of Zack Line. He will learn the offense. Should provide much needed depth this year and will have a great future here in the Run & Shoot.
westexSMU
Hall of Famer

Postby ponydawg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:17 am

Stallion wrote:I generally agree but if you can find a change of pace those guys can really cause problems.

ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:34 pm

IIRC the report on Line and his injury and rehab was optimistic. That is, there was no mention of any obstacle that would keep him from being ready this fall. Having said that, has anyone talked to him lately. Does it still look like he will be good to go?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 pm

ponydawg wrote:
Stallion wrote:I generally agree but if you can find a change of pace those guys can really cause problems.

ShanDerrick was the 1st guy who came to my mind; sure wish we had another one like him right now
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football