PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We may have played the Best Team in the Big XII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We may have played the Best Team in the Big XII

Postby KillBilly » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:02 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Tech is not very good. I thought we played as well as they did for 2 1/2 quarters but the worst thing about the game is our defense couldn't stop a walk on freshman QB. I still have no idea why we didn't blitz more. I'd like to hear JJ's response to that question.

The difference in Tech's play between the 1st and 2nd halves was TE Jace Amaro. Amaro served a half-game suspension before entering the game and basically leading one drive by himself. Amaro is a physical freak. Too fast for LBs to cover him and much too big for CBs to cover him. Because of Amaro's play and even just his presence, your defense had too muchto cover and the game opened up for Tech's offense.

Also, no way in hell Tech is the best team in the Big 12. :lol: We have a young and still gelling OLine and a true FR QB until at least game 6 of this season. Plus there's that new HC situation. Had Brewer played from game 1, Tech is a legit 8 win team not including a bowl win. Now? Beats the hell out of me and every other Tech fan. If week one results are any indication, which is shaky...I know, Tech will make a bowl game but that's not saying much these days in CFB.

Thanks again for your hospitality Friday. The Boulevard today is much more fun than I recall it being back in the early 90s, although I must admit my memories are somewhat fuzzy of those days. However, I do remember that everything SMU does is first class and the pre-game and game festivities Friday were no exception. There are a few bad Tech fans getting called to the carpet on RedRaiderSports but I hope, like in our section, that you and the Tech fans around you were respectful and had a great time at the game.
KillBilly
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:34 pm

There were a few Tech fans in 104 and they actually just sat quietly. Very respectful of the fact they were sitting in an SMU section. They were older fans, 30s or 40s. No complaints from me other than I wish SMU fans had used the seats.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:20 am

I was of course making a joke. However after week one the Big XII (11) had West Virginia almost lose to W&M (depth saved them), TT had three quarters of suspense from the Ponies (depth saved them), TCU lost to LSU who has a terrible QB and couldn't decide which QB to play, ISU, KSU, lost to FCS teams. OU, Baylor and UT looked fine against weaker opponents. OSU beat a decent Miss. State team. KU on the clock. Let's be honest here, the Big XII with the exception of OU, OSU and UT may be mediocre this year.

The ACC looks about like they always do. In the American, Louisville certainly looks like the class of the Conference with a big win.

Did Utah State manage to hold on against Utah? I went to bed and they were winning.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:42 am

KillBilly wrote:There are a few bad Tech fans getting called to the carpet on RedRaiderSports but I hope, like in our section, that you and the Tech fans around you were respectful and had a great time at the game.

It was not just a few. The chorus of boos when SMU had a number of players with serious injuries is totally classless.
:roll:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 am

Whatever Tech as a team does this season, we did face the front seven from Tech that started last season from the second best defense in the BigXII.
Go Ponies!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Prideful Pony » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 am

The PonyGrad wrote:
KillBilly wrote:There are a few bad Tech fans getting called to the carpet on RedRaiderSports but I hope, like in our section, that you and the Tech fans around you were respectful and had a great time at the game.

It was not just a few. The chorus of boos when SMU had a number of players with serious injuries is totally classless.

There was definitely a lot of Tech fans booing SMU injuries. The injury to Parks stands out to me since it happened right in front of me; he came back in a play later with his ankle taped but could hardly get off the field after the possession. Stay classy, Tech fans.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:22 am

Wishing Tech well the rest of the season, but I would be surprised if they won 6 or more.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Come on guys, Tech fans have their issues but our guys being down had the appearance of flopping to slow the drives. Their hurry up was killing us. Schools use the tactic, so it wasn't completely out of line for Tech fans to grumble.

Their grumbles created more noise than our fans on 3-down D (face in palm of hands).
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:11 pm

But they also booed when we weren't stalling such as in a kickoff. Their guys were crumpling up a lot too - even on offense. Most of them have no class.

BTW. They were pretty darn quiet most of the game. They barely got the raider power bs even going.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby CoxMustangFan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Treadway21 wrote:But they also booed when we weren't stalling such as in a kickoff. Their guys were crumpling up a lot too - even on offense. Most of them have no class.

BTW. They were pretty darn quiet most of the game. They barely got the raider power bs even going.

Not saying Tech fans aren't bottom of the barrel, just that boo'ing over what looks like a flop to stop a drive isn't that out of line. Other than one annoying guy that sat right behind me I thought they were ok for the most part. I was just angry that in my season ticket holder section I was completely surrounded by Tech fans. Way to push your tickets on Stubhub Mustangs.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:29 pm

every up tempo team in the country boos when they perceive the opponent is flopping injuries-and you've got to be pretty naïve not to realize June is teaching this after the last 4 years against Tulsa, Houston-all of which booed SMU players too
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Stallion wrote:every up tempo team in the country boos when they perceive the opponent is flopping injuries-and you've got to be pretty naïve not to realize June is teaching this after the last 4 years against Tulsa, Houston-all of which booed SMU players too

Houston, yeah that is a great fan measuring stick.
Go Ponies!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:54 am

bringing back another classic...now was Tech or TCU the best team in the Big XII? No wait, that might be Baylor, the team we decided NOT to get smoked by this year
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:43 am

Tech and Baylor may very well be in the hunt for the title. OSU loses to WVU. OU loses to ND. UT to everyone (except Rice), KU to everyone. KSU to everyone. Iowa State to almost everyone. WVU to Maryland badly and almost to William and Mary. TCU, OU and OSU battling for 3rd.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ponyte » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 am

OU actually beat ND. Kinda a shock cause the officials weren't the usual ND homers.

OU would have the advantage in the Big XII-II one would think at this point.

TTU appears better overall than TCU at this point.

BU’s offense has been unreal.

I would think those four teams, with OU followed by BU and TTU to be the best.
ponyte

Previous

Return to Football