PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Jones Extension

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The Jones Extension

Postby mustangxc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:36 am

Rebel10 wrote:Fedora had more success than Bower ever had, he won a CUSA championship for them which Bower never did. The best seasons Bower had were like 7 or so wins. USM was right to fire Ellis Johnson because he totally lost the team and had a staff that was not good.

Bower won 4 CUSA championships!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bower ... n_football)
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:37 am

ponyte wrote:One wonders who gets to 'write' the check if there is some form of ‘buy out’.

Originally, one was lead to believe that Jones' base was paid by donors, not the Athletic Department (unknown if that is fact or speculation). But assuming it is paid by donors, then the 'buy out' might not be the decision of the AD or Turner.

Perhaps the Jones contract and the potential options after this year are more limited than any of us know. A great deal of speculation may not, in fact, even be a possibility as the money and decision are not apparent to those speculating on possible options.

That's what i was trying to get at. If our AD doesn't have the funds for helmets, who is paying a buy out and paying the new coach/staff??
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:46 am

he will be getting paid one way (retirement) or the other (extended contract) for 2014-or at least a negotiated settlement-simply because we can't afford to let him recruit as a lame-duck Head Coach
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12 am

Dooby is correct regarding the public perception if we fire JJ at the end of the year. While watching the A&M game at bar here in LA I was chatting with a knowledge college football fan and he looked at me like I was crazy when I said I wanted June out. But our public perception sucks right now anyway, so who cares. That said, I'm not really sure if JJ was fired it would hurt our effort to hire a new coach because I believe people within the coaching inner circle know what is going on here.

If you pay any attention to our program it's obvious JJ has checked out and he has forced our hand. The media is even starting to pick up on this. Other coaches and program can see this. Our games are on TV and our recruiting class rankings are available to anyone who cares to look.

I'll go as far as saying if we do fire JJ it will send a message to the rest of college football that we are not going to tolerate mediocrity anymore. In the interview process let candidates know we expect to recruit and compete with BCS schools, and that SMU will give them the resources to do it. Bottom line is another year of recruiting like the last three will set this program back for years, and may be fatal.
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Dooby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 am

"Retirement" means from SMU. He fully intends to coach again. I hope Norm Chow is renting.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:19 am

Under no circumstances will we fire JJ. It will be a negotiated exit.
ponyboy

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:26 am

ponyboy wrote:Under no circumstances will we fire JJ. It will be a negotiated exit.

You're probably right. I just wanted to give an opinion that the perception of firing him with the people that matter might not be such a bad thing.

LA_Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Dooby is correct regarding the public perception if we fire JJ at the end of the year. While watching the A&M game at bar here in LA I was chatting with a knowledge college football fan and he looked at me like I was crazy when I said I wanted June out. But our public perception sucks right now anyway, so who cares. That said, I'm not really sure if JJ was fired it would hurt our effort to hire a new coach because I believe people within the coaching inner circle know what is going on here.

If you pay any attention to our program it's obvious JJ has checked out and he has forced our hand. The media is even starting to pick up on this. Other coaches and program can see this. Our games are on TV and our recruiting class rankings are available to anyone who cares to look.

I'll go as far as saying if we do fire JJ it will send a message to the rest of college football that we are not going to tolerate mediocrity anymore. In the interview process let candidates know we expect to recruit and compete with BCS schools, and that SMU will give them the resources to do it. Bottom line is another year of recruiting like the last three will set this program back for years, and may be fatal.

Solid Post LA. That is why I like you, even if you did vote for Obama (twice).

I was always of the opinion that JJ would not simply retire, but want his full $$$, I won't fault him for that. You simply have him say he's retiring back to the Islands and pay him his full $2M.

I guess the question for Stallion / Dooby others....what impact do you think keeping JJ around for another year or two will have on our chances to gain P5 membership? Apparently from your posts, not much, but I want to hear what others think.

His recruiting has stunk so badly since ASU, I don't want him around anymore. We have to roll the dice. Time is not on our side.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:31 am

ponyboy wrote:Under no circumstances this year will we fire JJ. It will be a negotiated exit.

Fify.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:Solid Post LA. That is why I like you, even if you did vote for Obama (twice).

8) My iPad was hijacked the night of that post and I haven't bothered to delete it.

LA_Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:35 am

SMU2007 wrote:Honestly, I think we would be fine if June stayed, if we could just get a few staff members who were young and aggressive on the recruiting trail (like we had with Klemm.........). I don't think he's a bad coach, I just think his laid back attitude permeates throughout this team and extends to his approach to recruiting, without anyone else available to balance him out. If we had some fiery young guys to balance him and to lead the recruiting front, I'd be fine with June on the sideline. Unfortunately, he's had several chances to make hires, and the majority of the time, it's more of the same. I have little hope we'd be able to get the ideal situation.

You are a good poster 2207, don't go soft on me.

You know JJ, his quirks, his ego, his way of doing things.

What have you possibly seen from him over these past 6 years to think he would change? Wasn't the overhead projector proof enough?????????
SoCal_Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:36 am

mustangxc wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Fedora had more success than Bower ever had, he won a CUSA championship for them which Bower never did. The best seasons Bower had were like 7 or so wins. USM was right to fire Ellis Johnson because he totally lost the team and had a staff that was not good.

Bower won 4 CUSA championships!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bower ... n_football)

Your link does not show anything regarding his record. Did he ever win 12 games like Fedopra?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 am

I'll make it easy. I don't think SMU is a candidate for a P5 conference. I see no real tangible evidence that our fanbase can justify it or any demand that we achieve it. The lack of response from SMU fanbase to 4 straight bowlgames tells you everything you need to know. Some on this board will blame the administration-that's not SMU's problem right now. We won't be getting any breaks because we are a poor little private school and we won't be buying our ticket to a P5 conference just because we have some deep pocket alumni
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:40 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
What have you possibly seen from him over these past 6 years to think he would change? Wasn't the overhead projector proof enough?????????

overhead projector???????
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:57 am

Stallion wrote:I'll make it easy. I don't think SMU is a candidate for a P5 conference. I see no real tangible evidence that our fanbase can justify it or any demand that we achieve it. The lack of response from SMU fanbase to 4 straight bowlgames tells you everything you need to know. Some on this board will blame the administration-that's not SMU's problem right now. We won't be getting any breaks because we are a poor little private school and we won't be buying our ticket to a P5 conference just because we have some deep pocket alumni

I don't disagree, our fanbase leaves a lot to be desired, but I think we've made a lot of strides since before JJ got here. I think if we hit the "next level" (10 wins, conference championships, beating P5 teams) then we'll see a substantial uptick in alumni support + increased interest from the casual DFW fan. Problem is, we need to do that FAST.

Part of it is smart scheduling- i.e., no more Montana States, Arkansas States, etc. We need to be playing teams that people have heard of and care about to get people interested....and then beat those teams. It would also help if all of our games didn't kickoff at 11AM but I realize that TV drives the bus in regards to that.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Football