PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Jones Extension

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The Jones Extension

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:03 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Part of it is smart scheduling- i.e., no more Montana States, Arkansas States, etc. We need to be playing teams that people have heard of and care about to get people interested....and then beat those teams.

SEC:
Arkansas
Missouri
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

PAC:
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado

ACC
Virginia
Wake
Duke
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 am

PonyTime wrote:
Part of it is smart scheduling- i.e., no more Montana States, Arkansas States, etc. We need to be playing teams that people have heard of and care about to get people interested....and then beat those teams.

SEC:
Arkansas
Missouri
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

PAC:
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado

ACC
Virginia
Wake
Duke

Arky won't play us here, they already play A&M at Jerryworld going forward. Take out Wake, UK, and Duke, there would be 15k in the stands for those. I agree with the rest and would add UCLA, Ole Miss, and Miss. State.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:11 am

Stallion wrote:I'll make it easy. I don't think SMU is a candidate for a P5 conference. I see no real tangible evidence that our fanbase can justify it or any demand that we achieve it. The lack of response from SMU fanbase to 4 straight bowlgames tells you everything you need to know. Some on this board will blame the administration-that's not SMU's problem right now. We won't be getting any breaks because we are a poor little private school and we won't be buying our ticket to a P5 conference just because we have some deep pocket alumni

We are 0-46-1 against B12 South opponents post-DP, with our average loss being by more than 30 points.

As this plays out, in the very near future, we will still be playing a Baylor, TCU, maybe Tech. We will have 5-year seniors on the field going against their 5-year seniors. During these seniors time at their respective schools, our opposition will receive ~$225M more dollars from their conference affiliation than we will from ours. How do we possibly compete (remember, we currently average losing by 30+ points now) And if we don't play these opponents, how do we sell season tickets or even get 15,000 to a game?

That is what's at stake here. That and what you think the cost to SMU would be academically and financially if we get left behind.

Within this context, I say who gives a rats [deleted] what the perception is of us retiring/firing JJ. I agree with LA, we could spin this as a positive if need be. Question is do we make one last push for inclusion. And while I agree the odds aren't great, nobody I know correctly called Rutgers going to the Big10. That was less than 1 year ago and is the same school that was passed over twice by the ACC.
SoCal_Pony

Postby gostangs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 am

June aint retiring. He wants to force a three year extension and then retire. He is calling our bluff due to people like those on this board who are concerned with how it looks. I think it would look fine frankly. We let the world know average bowls and 2 star recruits are not the goal around here. If you think we are crazy - tough - watch us. We are committed to winning.

Let June know he is going one way or another. Do you want a thank you party or a kick in the tail? Get the search started early so that we aren't waiting for the musical chairs to start and then stop - that will kill a recruiting season which we cant afford - since our last two were average even for us.
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:44 am

Stallion wrote:
Part of it is smart scheduling- i.e., no more Montana States, Arkansas States, etc. We need to be playing teams that people have heard of and care about to get people interested....and then beat those teams. It would also help if all of our games didn't kickoff at 11AM but I realize that TV drives the bus in regards to that.

Sounds good, but since BCS inception, haven't we only defeated 3 BCS schools, Kansas, Wa St and Pitt. All had losing records, I suspect average Sagarin ranking was #90.

In order to beat these quality schools you propose (and I agree with) we need a talent infusion JJ is incapable of providing.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:47 am

gostangs wrote:June aint retiring. He wants to force a three year extension and then retire. He is calling our bluff due to people like those on this board who are concerned with how it looks. I think it would look fine frankly. We let the world know average bowls and 2 star recruits are not the goal around here. If you think we are crazy - tough - watch us. We are committed to winning.

Let June know he is going one way or another. Do you want a thank you party or a kick in the tail? Get the search started early so that we aren't waiting for the musical chairs to start and then stop - that will kill a recruiting season which we cant afford - since our last two were average even for us.

Between you and LA, 2 solid posts.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Ponymon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:30 pm

gostangs wrote:June aint retiring. He wants to force a three year extension and then retire. He is calling our bluff due to people like those on this board who are concerned with how it looks. I think it would look fine frankly. We let the world know average bowls and 2 star recruits are not the goal around here. If you think we are crazy - tough - watch us. We are committed to winning.

We should begin the search NOW! We can't wait for the end of the year given the fact that recruiting begins MUCH earlier than it did 5 or 10 years ago. Otherwise the 2015 recruiting class will be a goner new coach or not.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:08 pm

June came to SMU because we doubled his salary to 2mm plus the facilities upgrades over HI.

He thought recruits would throw themselves at him because of his NFL street cred and success at HI.
They didn't and he was stunned. He hired Klemm and AK made recruiting better but certainly not at a level that would let us compete with BU or TCU.

He couldn't get the players, no hype around the team (see E Mudiay if you want evidence what a star player can do for the perception of a program's tragetory), sloppy unproductive offense resulting in mediocre seasons and blow out losses to lower tier Big 12 teams.

What if he had gotten the players, then he beats a TTU or BU. Whoa! Now people are interested and want to come see this team.

JJ did hire Mason, his addition of Mumme has the offense running as well as it ever has, and he hired AK.
But the ASU debacle was a self inflicted wound from which he never recovered.
He will "retire" this year with a full buy out and SMU will hopefully get a coach that helps us win AAC and at least compete with Big 12 teams.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:37 pm

I believe this is June's last year. If that is the case some type of deal will be worked out quietly and confidentially where June and SMU both come out looking good in the end. Due to the agreement, both sides will agree to say great things about each other. June will be thanked for bringing SMU out of the dumpster of college football, plus be hailed the conquering hero and SMU will say June was the only person that was capable of taking on this challenge and succeeding. At that point June will say thank you to all that gave him the opportunity of a lifetime and move back to the islands and will enjoy a good life.
That is just my opinion.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby PonySnob » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:41 pm

lwjr wrote:I believe this is June's last year. If that is the case some type of deal will be worked out quietly and confidentially where June and SMU both come out looking good in the end. Due to the agreement, both sides will agree to say great things about each other. June will be thanked for bringing SMU out of the dumpster of college football, plus be hailed the conquering hero and SMU will say June was the only person that was capable of taking on this challenge and succeeding. At that point June will say thank you to all that gave him the opportunity of a lifetime and move back to the islands and will enjoy a good life.
That is just my opinion.

Will he get a statue?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby lwjr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:43 pm

PonySnob wrote:
lwjr wrote:I believe this is June's last year. If that is the case some type of deal will be worked out quietly and confidentially where June and SMU both come out looking good in the end. Due to the agreement, both sides will agree to say great things about each other. June will be thanked for bringing SMU out of the dumpster of college football, plus be hailed the conquering hero and SMU will say June was the only person that was capable of taking on this challenge and succeeding. At that point June will say thank you to all that gave him the opportunity of a lifetime and move back to the islands and will enjoy a good life.
That is just my opinion.

Will he get a statue?

I thought about that. I would think they would at least name something after him. Then again I can see SMU asking Jones the same question and he says no.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:45 pm

When I make my trillion dollars I'll donate the IPF and name it the June Jones Indoor Football Center. It will have tiki torches out front and a stonewall with his face engraved on it (think Mt. Rushmore)
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby lwjr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Now we are rolling. ECM, what about this thought. We build a statue of King Kamehameha out front but with June's head?
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:47 pm

somebody explain the overhead projector incident, please?

how about this scenario: since we have to pay him anyway, he is "promoted" to special assistant to the president for athletics. on surface, he works a little, to promote smu interests in the new conference and other conference opportunities and/or smoozes television execs for conference/fcs inclusion.

doesn't get fired. doesn't immediately retire. after a year finds another job or fades into hawaii or both. gradually spends more and more time in hawaii anyway. which he prefers.

smu has another coach next year.
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:51 am

good point-you see that a lot at state schools but wouldn't be surprised if there is a non-re-assignment provision in a contract with a private university-I dunno but would love to know the answer. That would definitely ensure a negotiated settlement and take much of any leverage June might have
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football