PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Extends June Jones Contract

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Extends June Jones Contract

Postby smupablo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:44 am

smupablo

Re: SMU Extends June Jones Contract

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:50 am

I am surprised they did not wait until tomorrow or at least closer to 5pm today.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:52 am

turn out the lights...the party's over.

I'll check back in 2 years from now when our new coach has to dig us out of the recruiting hole that Jones left him with.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:55 am

Well at least they did not announce during the halftime of the UConn game.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:05 pm

There might be a lot of things in this contract to make JJ more accountable in all areas. And they were probably smart enough to have an out for next year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby TidePony » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Mustang Nation firmly divided: 25% favor keeping June, 75% favor termination (anecdotal of course).

Heck it might be 10% to 90%.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Personally I think this is a way over reaction. We already knew an extension was out there. The only question was whether or not Jones was going to accept. We needed either for Jones to leave or to have an extension in order to be able to recruit at all, good or bad.

If it is, as was speculated, a 2 year with no buyout after this year, I think we are in about as good a position as we could be unless the CoC was willing to ante up $2 million which it does not appear they wanted to.

For those abandoning the program after today, I will gladly welcome you back when you return. We want your support. I for one was hoping for a change but now will support the team as I always have.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:10 pm

mrydel wrote:Personally I think this is a way over reaction. We already knew an extension was out there. The only question was whether or not Jones was going to accept. We needed either for Jones to leave or to have an extension in order to be able to recruit at all, good or bad.

If it is, as was speculated, a 2 year with no buyout after this year, I think we are in about as good a position as we could be unless the CoC was willing to ante up $2 million which it does not appear they wanted to.

For those abandoning the program after today, I will gladly welcome you back when you return. We want your support. I for one was hoping for a change but now will support the team as I always have.

Agreed, surely it is an extension in name only which was the only choice if no one was willing to pay the extra money.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:11 pm

What a spineless move to announce the decision right as everyone travels for the Holidays. i emailed Hart and got an out of office reply.

SMU = no accountability, anywhere, from AD to HC to waterboy.

eff this program and its lack of direction.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:16 pm

I figured we would fart out this news as close to Christmas as possible to diminish the outcry from the few diehards we have left.

Smooth move by Hart and RGT.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby PonySnob » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 pm

And just what until you see the new giving levels for the Mustang Club to keep your seats. PONY UP!!!!!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby smumustang1980 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:19 pm

mrydel wrote:Personally I think this is a way over reaction. We already knew an extension was out there. The only question was whether or not Jones was going to accept. We needed either for Jones to leave or to have an extension in order to be able to recruit at all, good or bad.

I have been going to games for decades, since I was three. However, I will not renew my season tickets, and I will not attend another June Jones coached game, period. No more. If you want to sit in the stands alone, I commend your loyalty. I doubt we will ever have a competitive program and frankly I am sick and tired of wasting my energy on SMU.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:20 pm

smumustang1980 wrote:

I have been going to games for decades, since I was three. However, I will not renew my season tickets, and I will not attend another June Jones coached game, period. No more. If you want to sit in the stands alone, I commend your loyalty. I doubt we will ever have a competitive program and frankly I am sick and tired of wasting my energy on SMU.

here here!
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:25 pm

ponyinNC wrote:turn out the lights...the party's over.

I'll check back in 2 years from now when our new coach has to dig us out of the recruiting hole that Jones left him with.

Do you mean in 6-7 years, when that coach actually digs us back out of that hole?
SMUer

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:28 pm

SMUer wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:turn out the lights...the party's over.

Do you mean in 6-7 years, when that coach actually digs us back out of that hole?

sorry, I meant when our new coach gets here and begins the rebuild. what a freaking joke!!
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football