PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BTW, congrats to UNT

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BTW, congrats to UNT

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:31 pm

they kicked our arses in every phase of the game. This game was important to them, as it should have been for us, and I give their fans credit for not coming on here and rubbing our noses in it. Things are looking up in Denton and I hope we can soon say the same for SMU football.

** side note ** I think I heard yesterday we have never beaten them in Denton. I know most SMU types look down on UNT, but I think this has the makings of another metroplex rivalry. I've always thought that with over 30k student enrollment, UNT has a tremendous upside in today's world of college athletics. That win yesterday could really jump start their program.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: BTW, congrats to UNT

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Good post and agreed.

Just as we passed them in basketball, they have gone flying past us in football.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby floridianstang » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:58 pm

I did not like going up there, their fans are the worst. I say we dump them after 2015 and never play them again. It is not a rivalry and could care less for them, we will be better than them again once we get a real coach in the hilltop.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby ponyscott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:10 pm

disagree floridian..they played well and SMU didn't ..they beat our [deleted] and deserve accolades. With a new dedicated program, we will dominate them again.
ponyscott

Postby floridianstang » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:15 pm

ponyscott wrote:disagree floridian..they played well and SMU didn't ..they beat our [deleted] and deserve accolades. With a new dedicated program, we will dominate them again.

Didn't say they did not play well, we did get our butt kicked. I did not like going up there because of their fans, they were really rude to us.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:19 pm

floridianstang wrote:
ponyscott wrote:disagree floridian..they played well and SMU didn't ..they beat our [deleted] and deserve accolades. With a new dedicated program, we will dominate them again.

Didn't say they did not play well, we did get our butt kicked. I did not like going up there because of their fans, they were really rude to us.

Just check the tone of this board to understand why. Lot's of arrogant types associated with SMU. Some people can't give credit where credit is due, so they attack UNT's academics. Unfortunately, that is our reputation with too many public schools we've competed against. We don't get a warm reception at Houston or at Texas Tech, either
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:35 pm

Yes, thousands of UNT eyeballs view this board every day and they are mad, mad, mad.
SMUer

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:39 pm

I want the record to show that MRS H-E-B is a UNT grad and she was very tactful to me during and after the game. The Ponies are her second team, after the Mean Green. We have her out-numbered in the family, though, with our daughter and one son being Mustang graduates
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby GiddyUp » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Fans were good. Didnt say a word where we were
GiddyUp

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:51 pm

They're generally good people, but there are some older ones with real hate towards SMU. If they can't take a little smack talk, then they need to quit athletics all together. The comments posted this past week were pretty PG.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby TidePony » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Everyone was nice to us yesterday, although that fool with the obscene hand painted sign was a bit much. They need to work on their parking situation and that canon - I don't have words for that, just a simple gesture.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

BTW, congrats to UNT

Postby GiddyUp » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:14 pm

They copy everything from big schools - flags, bells, cannons. That was a bit much for sure. Human mean eagle was weird
GiddyUp

Postby sbsmith » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Charleston Pony wrote: I know most SMU types look down on UNT, but I think this has the makings of another metroplex rivalry.

Not unless people start attending the games.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:46 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote: I know most SMU types look down on UNT, but I think this has the makings of another metroplex rivalry.

Not unless people start attending the games.

Last time I attended a UNT game vs SMU at Ford, they brought more fans than Houston does. I would say we had about 13k that night and UNT brought about 7k. The attendance issue, or lack thereof, is SMU's problem
Charleston Pony

Postby sbsmith » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Last time I attended a UNT game vs SMU at Ford, they brought more fans than Houston does. I would say we had about 13k that night and UNT brought about 7k. The attendance issue, or lack thereof, is SMU's problem

From what I saw yesterday it's their problem as well. Rivalry games don't struggle to fill 30K stadiums. I know some people want this to be a rivalry but it never will be and the reason is up in those stands.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Next

Return to Football