PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Tom Mason to Hawaii

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coach Tom Mason to Hawaii

Postby ghost » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:52 am

He did a wonderful job at SMU. The players liked and respected him too from what I heard. Would still be at SMU if we had the same output on offense.
ghost
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:57 am

ghost wrote:He did a wonderful job at SMU. The players liked and respected him too from what I heard. Would still be at SMU if we had the same output on offense.

Thank God he's not. He ran out the same, terrible excuses that JJ used for years. Morris does none of those things and truly believes that we can accomplish great things here. And when I say great things, i don't mean 4 low level bowl games, I mean actually being ranked,winning meaningful games, and punching the big boys in the mouth.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Casey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:31 pm

freqz wrote:Until I see evidence otherwise, I'm working under the assumption that Tom Mason was a good man caught in a [deleted] situation.

Thanks Coach and good luck.

You're absolutely right.

Good luck, Coach Mason!
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby Casey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Warbow wrote:Can someone fill me in on the type of defense(s) he uses? Attacking? Bend but don't break? 4-3? 3-4? What's his recruiting like?

See [deleted] LeBeau's system in Pittsburgh. Same deal. Defensive line ties up blockers, linebackers make a million tackles, he likes to call tons of "fire zones" … and no, I'm not quite sure what that is.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:14 pm

@BillyEmbody 1m1 minute ago
Congratulations to @TomMason20, the new DC at Hawaii. Loved being around him the last 5 years at #SMU. Great coach, but an even better man!
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malonish » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Casey wrote:
Warbow wrote:Can someone fill me in on the type of defense(s) he uses? Attacking? Bend but don't break? 4-3? 3-4? What's his recruiting like?

See [deleted] LeBeau's system in Pittsburgh. Same deal. Defensive line ties up blockers, linebackers make a million tackles, he likes to call tons of "fire zones" … and no, I'm not quite sure what that is.

Send the 3 Down Linemen to occupy blockers and 2 LBs blitz. Zone coverage for the remaining 6.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:39 pm

I wish him well.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby AustinPerson » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Hawaii signed an OL from highland park. Most of the posters on this board will now think that Hawaii will win a national championship bc HP kids are so "special and better than everyone else."
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:29 pm

I have always thought [deleted] Lebeau is a great football coach.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby 03Mustang » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:18 pm

[deleted] Lebeau is as good of a football coach as [deleted] Van [deleted] is an actor
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:46 pm

[deleted] he must be a good coach to be censored
smupony94

Postby ojaipony » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:15 am

Really happy for him. I think he just burned out here. Attitude was terrible at the end, very "loser-ish". :-)

Let's give HCCM a few years here and see if he's still excited. I have a feeling he's either going to be a huge success or a flash in the pan (meaning he has a good year here, whenever that happens, and then bounces for greener pastures). I don't see him hanging out at a losing program collecting checks like the "blue hair squad" did from 2011-2014.
ojaipony

Postby CA Mustang » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:48 pm

ojaipony wrote:Really happy for him. I think he just burned out here. Attitude was terrible at the end, very "loser-ish". :-)

I'm sure it was a tough season on everyone involved. If he was walking around with a happy, go-lucky attitude, then folks would have accused him of not caring. A true no-win situation.

ojaipony wrote:Let's give HCCM a few years here and see if he's still excited. I have a feeling he's either going to be a huge success or a flash in the pan (meaning he has a good year here, whenever that happens, and then bounces for greener pastures). I don't see him hanging out at a losing program collecting checks like the "blue hair squad" did from 2011-2014.

It is all about your options. If CM can't build a winner, there won't be many schools clamoring to hire him in the future.

SMU had winning records (and bowl wins) in the '11 & '12 seasons. Yet that's part of a losing program?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:45 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
ojaipony wrote:Really happy for him. I think he just burned out here. Attitude was terrible at the end, very "loser-ish". :-)

I'm sure it was a tough season on everyone involved. If he was walking around with a happy, go-lucky attitude, then folks would have accused him of not caring. A true no-win situation.

ojaipony wrote:Let's give HCCM a few years here and see if he's still excited. I have a feeling he's either going to be a huge success or a flash in the pan (meaning he has a good year here, whenever that happens, and then bounces for greener pastures). I don't see him hanging out at a losing program collecting checks like the "blue hair squad" did from 2011-2014.

It is all about your options. If CM can't build a winner, there won't be many schools clamoring to hire him in the future.

SMU had winning records (and bowl wins) in the '11 & '12 seasons. Yet that's part of a losing program?

And we had losing season's in the most recent '13 & '14 seasons with players that mostly Mason admittedly recruited. And we were on a downward trend with the 1-11 season and poor recruiting. I wish him well and I think he will do better in that conference because they do not have very many hurry up offenses.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby CA Mustang » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:10 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:SMU had winning records (and bowl wins) in the '11 & '12 seasons. Yet that's part of a losing program?

And we had losing season's in the most recent '13 & '14 seasons with players that mostly Mason admittedly recruited. And we were on a downward trend with the 1-11 season and poor recruiting. I wish him well and I think he will do better in that conference because they do not have very many hurry up offenses.

The OP included the '11 and '12 seasons (winning records) in his statement about a "losing" program. If your point is he was inaccurate and should have mentioned only the '13 and '14 seasons, I agree.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football