PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Buzz Williams?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Buzz Williams?

Postby smubrooks » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 am

Is this even realistically possible? Do we have enough to pay what he would demand? Won't he have a big buyout? I don't know much about college basketball just read this on the DMN website. http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... -sear.html
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Buzz Williams?

Postby goldenstang » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:59 am

It would obviously be great but the cost has to be way too much.
goldenstang
Heisman

Re: Buzz Williams?

Postby Digetydog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:04 pm

goldenstang wrote:It would obviously be great but the cost has to be way too much.

If we can't outspend Marquette, we aren't the SMU I know and love.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Buzz Williams?

Postby goldenstang » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:12 pm

His contract is 2 million per for 7 years. So we would have to give him a raise and buyout the rest of his contract. That is a whole lot of money for any athletic program.
goldenstang
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Hoopmanx seems to be saying that this should not have gone public at this time by Kate.

Kate Hairopoulos ‏ @khairopoulos

Also hearing SMU wants to take a run at Marquette's Buzz Williams. I waited until I heard from a handful of people bcause seems unlikely.

Hoopmanx Hoopmanx ‏ @Hoopmanx

@khairopoulos we all know who feeds you on that beat, and you're compromising their best interests. Nice work, Kate!
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Boycott the DMN! She steals all my [deleted], including her coaching list, and when I pushed her on it this morning. She knew, that I knew, about some bigger fish. I didn't name names, and wouldn't have no matter what, but she felt compelled to beat everyone to the punch.

She's a hack, has no professionalism, steals info. and compromises the beat that she works, just to be first. Eff her & if she screws this search up, so help me God. I'm not a journalist and I luck into a lot of info, but her going public w/names like this, right before the Sweet 16, is insane. What happens to precious SMU, Kate, when Buzz has to answer an SMU question at a presser this week? Think that muddies the water at all...l
Last edited by hoopmanx on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Boycott the DMN! She steals all my [deleted], including her coaching list, and when I pushed her on it this morning. She knew, that I knew, about some bigger fish. I didn't name names, and wouldn't have no matter what, but she felt compelled to beat everyone to the punch.

She's a hack, has no professionalism, steals info. and compromises the beat that she works, just to be first. Eff her & if she screws this search up, so help me God

Looking at the twitter exchange it does seem like she was trying to unnecessarily make a point. Unfortunately it seems as if she does not care about SMU but just making a name for herself.

Seems that when Hoopmanx posted this she just opened her mouth about everything regarding Coach Williams.

Hoopmanx ‏ @Hoopmanx @khairopoulos Might wanna add Hewitt, but you're missing their biggest candidates, the ones they need to keep quiet
Last edited by SMU 86 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMU 86

Postby skyscraper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:53 pm

She's a journalist, she doesn't work for SMU. Not sure why people think she would sit on info if she can get it confirmed.
Understand why fans would be irritated if this stuff gets out, but don't understand why people think she has an obligation to keep quiet about it considering her job is to find this kind of stuff out.
skyscraper

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Boycott the DMN! She steals all my [deleted], including her coaching list, and when I pushed her on it this morning. She knew, that I knew, about some bigger fish. I didn't name names, and wouldn't have no matter what, but she felt compelled to beat everyone to the punch.

She's a hack, has no professionalism, steals info. and compromises the beat that she works, just to be first. Eff her & if she screws this search up, so help me God

Looking at the twitter exchange it does seem like she was trying to unnecessarily make a point. Unfortunately it seems as if she does not care about SMU but just making a name for herself.

Exactly, look at the exchange. I say "Might wanna add Hewitt, but you're missing their biggest candidates, the ones they need to keep quiet"

She says, "who? Buzz Williams'

That's not quiet, Kate
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:58 pm

skyscraper wrote:She's a journalist, she doesn't work for SMU. Not sure why people think she would sit on info if she can get it confirmed.
Understand why fans would be irritated if this stuff gets out, but don't understand why people think she has an obligation to keep quiet about it considering her job is to find this kind of stuff out.

B/c she can't confirm, that simple. She just wanted to be first, which in this case hurts SMU. You really think she got a bevy of emails confirming in the minute it took her to respond to my initial tweet. If she had those emails confirming, it would have been on her updated list this morning.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:04 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
skyscraper wrote:She's a journalist, she doesn't work for SMU. Not sure why people think she would sit on info if she can get it confirmed.

B/c she can't confirm, that simple. She just wanted to be first, which in this case hurts SMU. You really think she got a bevy of emails confirming in the minute it took her to respond to my initial tweet. If she had those emails confirming, it would have been on her updated list this morning.

OK. I guess the easy solution is don't drop hints to her via Twitter. If you think she can't be trusted, don't bait her. You're a good dude and I love the hoops knowledge you share on the board. But if it's supposed to be secret, then keep it secret. Reporters want scoops.
skyscraper

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:08 pm

I think she was asked to keep it quiet, that's why.

SMU 86

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Interesting tweet by Kate now on the negative responses.

lots of responses like this RT @TU_BLA Why in the world would Williams want to leave MU...for a coaching death sentence like SMU?

SMU 86

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 pm

skyscraper wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

OK. I guess the easy solution is don't drop hints to her via Twitter. If you think she can't be trusted, don't bait her. You're a good dude and I love the hoops knowledge you share on the board. But if it's supposed to be secret, then keep it secret. Reporters want scoops.

She didn't know what I had, and I wasn't telling. She blurted what she had, so while I'll take responsibility for pushing her, that doesn't much excuse her going all tabloid
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 pm

SMU 86 wrote:Interesting tweet by Kate now on the negative responses.

lots of responses like this RT @TU_BLA Why in the world would Williams want to leave MU...for a coaching death sentence like SMU?

Response isn't out of the blue, but it is from a jaded Tulsa fan.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball