PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Buzz Williams?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Buzz Williams?

Postby smubrooks » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:41 pm

BUzz Williams is next topic on PTI. Odds they mention SMU?
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby smubrooks » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:43 pm

ponydawg wrote:"The Aggies reportedly would have had to pay $2.6 million to buy Williams out of his contract with Marquette, and though Texas A&M is willing to pay a lot for a head coach, they likely weren’t willing to pay THAT much plus fork over a new contract."

I think we can can probably cover that!
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby ponydawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 pm

smubrooks wrote:I think we can can probably cover that!

I assume that is the royal "we".
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

smubrooks wrote:BUzz Williams is next topic on PTI. Odds they mention SMU?

Just watched, I like him, make it happen. Thanks.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Digetydog wrote:
Comet wrote:Maybe her source asked her to keep it quiet. And if she wants to keep getting info, it would have been to her benefit to comply. Just speculating though.

If her source leaked on condition of her keeping it quiet, she should be fired for writing about it.

She is a professional and probably has lots of sources. While some of them probably wanted things kept off the record, she probably had multiple sources who didn't care if it leaked early or who might of wanted it leaked.

Unlike Laken, who openly roots for UT and seems to gloat when bad news happens to SMU, Kate gives us the good and the bad. I can live with that.

BTW:
1) If you want to kill the deal, leaking it to the DMN is probably a good start.
2) Some people are always kissing up to reporters and cannot keep their mouths shut.

She has limited sources, just one big one. The coaches have always had issue w/the way we deal w/Kate. She burned her source this time, but the the reality is that it was ripe. Its the talk of the JUCO nationals according to a bunch of people, and was coming out today regardless.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:54 pm

hoopmanx wrote:She has limited sources, just one big one. The coaches have always had issue w/the way we deal w/Kate. She burned her source this time, but the the reality is that it was ripe. Its the talk of the JUCO nationals according to a bunch of people, and was coming out today regardless.

You would think 94 would have learned his lesson by now.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smubrooks » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:56 pm

ponydawg wrote:
smubrooks wrote:I think we can can probably cover that!

I assume that is the royal "we".

Haha, yeah. It's easy to spend other people's money!
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby gostangs » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 pm

not saying it could happen - but the thought of landing Buzz makes me giddy.

also - endless marketing potential with the name - and a budget that can actually do something with it finally.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby goldenstang » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:04 pm

ponydawg wrote:Article from last year when aTm couldn't land him. You'd think we could cover that.....easy for me to say since it isn't my money or budget.

"The Aggies reportedly would have had to pay $2.6 million to buy Williams out of his contract with Marquette, and though Texas A&M is willing to pay a lot for a head coach, they likely weren’t willing to pay THAT much plus fork over a new contract."

Was this before or after his extension he signed last year.
goldenstang
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 pm

goldenstang wrote:
ponydawg wrote:Article from last year when aTm couldn't land him. You'd think we could cover that.....easy for me to say since it isn't my money or budget.

"The Aggies reportedly would have had to pay $2.6 million to buy Williams out of his contract with Marquette, and though Texas A&M is willing to pay a lot for a head coach, they likely weren’t willing to pay THAT much plus fork over a new contract."

Was this before or after his extension he signed last year.

my guess would be after:

March 27, 2011 - Buzz Williams signs extension
May 9, 2011 - Mark Turgeon leaves TAMU for Maryland
CalallenStang

Postby SMU Pony Mom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:13 pm

I really like the idea that we're being serious about the next coach. The only thing that bothers me a bit is potentially taking someone from within the Big East. I'm sure that would go over really well with our future conference mates. I was trying to think of any other time that has happened in the Big East - no one comes to mind right away.
SMU Pony Mom
Heisman

Postby DFW HOYA » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 pm

[quote="SMU Pony Mom"]I really like the idea that we're being serious about the next coach. The only thing that bothers me a bit is potentially taking someone from within the Big East. I'm sure that would go over really well with our future conference mates. I was trying to think of any other time that has happened in the Big East - no one comes to mind right away.[/quote]

No head coach has directly transferred between programs, though Rick Pitino had a 10 year break between Providence and Louisville.
DFW HOYA
Scout Team

Postby CoxBizGrad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:53 pm

It's too funny certain individuals here are so angry over a journalist doing her job. I doubt that PonyFans and certain individuals are her only sources. If your so envious get a job with the DMN or another media outlet. :lol:
CoxBizGrad
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:57 pm

So when the June thing was going on, and he told ED "if SMU offers, ill take it, but if a word gets out about talks before the sugar bowl, no deal," had Kate gotten wind and rolled with it and screwed things up, would people have said she's just a journalist doing her job ?
RGV Pony

Postby mrydel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 pm

RGV Pony wrote:So when the June thing was going on, and he told ED "if SMU offers, ill take it, but if a word gets out about talks before the sugar bowl, no deal," had Kate gotten wind and rolled with it and screwed things up, would people have said she's just a journalist doing her job ?

Good point but the truth of the matter is had that happened all anyone would have ever said was that Jones was never serious about coming here. This could play out the same way.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball