PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Larry Brown?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Larry Brown?

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:28 am

larry Brown would be a great coach. Problem is recruiting. If Brown were hired he would need at least 2 heavy weight recruiters on the staff and the budget to let them recruit. I think kids would buy into the concept of a great teacher HC coach who was not their main recruiter if the recruiter coaches were significant elements on the staff. I know this pretty much profiles most of the top established coaches today, but the high energy younger coaches are very much into the road and their own recruiting skills.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:09 pm

We are not even going to interview him are we. Larry Johnson all over again.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Now that we know how well this has turned out recruiting wise lets take a trip down memory lane and see who was pushing Larry Brown and who was not. Glad we did not go for the 28 year old assistant from Mudhole state like some of you wanted.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:27 pm

PoconoPony wrote:larry Brown would be a great coach. Problem is recruiting. If Brown were hired he would need at least 2 heavy weight recruiters on the staff and the budget to let them recruit. I think kids would buy into the concept of a great teacher HC coach who was not their main recruiter if the recruiter coaches were significant elements on the staff. I know this pretty much profiles most of the top established coaches today, but the high energy younger coaches are very much into the road and their own recruiting skills.

Exactly what we did. Turning out great thus far
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 am

hoopmanx wrote:The good news for many of you, is if Larry Brown is hired, I'm done. Tired of being a joke, and that hire is a farce. Great coach, but a horrible idea to build a program long-term. He'll quit a year into the Big East and we'll be sitting here again, in no better a position

Glad you didn't throw in the towel on us!

Pretty funny to read thru all of these different reactions. Everyone seems to be on board now and for good reason! Even if the worst case scenario happened and he did quit a year into the big east, the program has gotten a HUGE shot in the arm and the big donors paying the salary have seen what the right coaches can do recruiting wise at SMU.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:37 pm

This hire was always about Jank & its still is. Does SMU AD Hart and Jank have the ability to retain Howard & Maligi when Brown hauls? Yea, verdict is out on that.

I fully admit to being hot-headed, and overwhelmed at times during coaching hires. That post illustrates it. What I said still holds alot of water. Also, we aren't exactly crushing the Big East in recruiting, and Johnnie Jones, the guy I mostly advocated, may be dong better than us. We should probably stop w/the post bumps and the high fives. Long road ahead. Damn fun so far, though
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm

ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Blvd_Stang » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:01 pm

hoopmanx wrote:This hire was always about Jank & its still is. Does SMU AD Hart and Jank have the ability to retain Howard & Maligi when Brown hauls? Yea, verdict is out on that.

I fully admit to being hot-headed, and overwhelmed at times during coaching hires. That post illustrates it. What I said still holds alot of water. Also, we aren't exactly crushing the Big East in recruiting, and Johnnie Jones, the guy I mostly advocated, may be dong better than us. We should probably stop w/the post bumps and the high fives. Long road ahead. Damn fun so far, though

I don't think that Johnnie Jones would ave pulled anywhere close to the same recruiting class without the LSU name brand recognition. Maybe a couple locals and Mickey, but that's no better than Brown has done.

I agree though, it all comes down to if we can keep the ball rolling once Larry leaves after year 2-4.

I think it's unfair to judge Jank so quick. He's a former HC of a pretty respectable program and is going to get a couple years of LB teaching.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby mathman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Just a question here. Any chance that this is Brown's last stop? If he stays 2-4 years here that puts him in his mid 70's and he might not want to start all over somewhere else. I'm pretty sure that money is not really a big deal to him at this point but if he is well taken care of he might just decide to stay and leave his mark with SMU.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Blvd_Stang wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:This hire was always about Jank & its still is. Does SMU AD Hart and Jank have the ability to retain Howard & Maligi when Brown hauls? Yea, verdict is out on that.

I don't think that Johnnie Jones would ave pulled anywhere close to the same recruiting class without the LSU name brand recognition. Maybe a couple locals and Mickey, but that's no better than Brown has done.

I agree though, it all comes down to if we can keep the ball rolling once Larry leaves after year 2-4.

I think it's unfair to judge Jank so quick. He's a former HC of a pretty respectable program and is going to get a couple years of LB teaching.

Johnnie would have recruited to SMU. It would be a different looking class, but it would probably include Mickey & Frazier. We may still get Frazier. He wouldn't have pulled Tim Quarterman to SMU, that's for sure.

Even if you look at Benford, he's had good success at UNT. Ultimately, Brown has done wonderfully so far, but the other guys have done pretty well also. As for Jank, he's very capable just not dynamic yet. He's gonna have a bear of a time keeping that staff aligned
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Comet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:16 pm

But would Jones have been able to bring in that recruiting class at SMU? LSU is a much easier sell than SMU in my opinion.

edit - err disregard, I just read the thread fully before I quote and ask a question haha
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
Blvd_Stang wrote:

Johnnie would have recruited to SMU. It would be a different looking class, but it would probably include Mickey & Frazier. We may still get Frazier. He wouldn't have pulled Tim Quarterman to SMU, that's for sure.

Even if you look at Benford, he's had good success at UNT. Ultimately, Brown has done wonderfully so far, but the other guys have done pretty well also. As for Jank, he's very capable just not dynamic yet. He's gonna have a bear of a time keeping that staff aligned

It's time to stop with the hyptotheticals -- Yes, my only concern is keeping these two dynamic recruiters around. They are selling Brown too. Hoopmanx, sometimes you seem a little dramatic :)
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Ha, I'm not sure how my not being sold on Jank, or him being able to retain Howard, is dramatic. Its very realistic, but that's a few years removed, so no worries. I'm enjoying the now
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:42 pm

can we all agree that I broke this story and deserve your adolation??

you're welcome.

:lol:
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Money talks. I think the donors have seen what happens when you pay assistants good money. I'd assume they'd pay these assists even better when Brown leaves or get other well paid heavy hitters if they move on.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball