PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Larry Brown?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Larry Brown?

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:58 pm

ponyinNC wrote:can we all agree that I broke this story and deserve your adolation??

you're welcome.

:lol:

What's an adolation?
:wink:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:00 pm

ponydawg wrote:Money talks. I think the donors have seen what happens when you pay assistants good money. I'd assume they'd pay these assists even better when Brown leaves or get other well paid heavy hitters if they move on.

No doubt, and I think Maligi is a guy you groom. I'd say Howard, but he wants to be on an NBA bench sooner than later. The beauty of Crum right now, is that Brown's coaching tree is deep. If someone left, bump up Eric Snow, maybe Hobbie. Both Duncan and Stoudt have bright career. There is some untested depth
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:27 pm

More Larry Brown Publicity...
Yahoo Sports:
College basketball's 25 most intriguing coaches for the 2012-13 season

Pat Forde

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--college-basketball-25-most-intriguing-coaches-for-the-2012-13-season.html

9. Larry Brown, SMU. The landslide winner for weirdest hire of the year, will septuagenarian Brown make this odd move pay off? The man certainly knows basketball. But he’s been gone from college for ages and was famously impatient with pro players – how is he going to handle the modest assemblage inherited here?
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Nacho » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 am

hoopmanx wrote:The good news for many of you, is if Larry Brown is hired, I'm done. Tired of being a joke, and that hire is a farce. Great coach, but a horrible idea to build a program long-term. He'll quit a year into the Big East and we'll be sitting here again, in no better a position

i beg to disagree.
Nacho

Postby Nacho » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:25 am

hoopmanx wrote:The good news for many of you, is if Larry Brown is hired, I'm done. Tired of being a joke, and that hire is a farce. Great coach, but a horrible idea to build a program long-term. He'll quit a year into the Big East and we'll be sitting here again, in no better a position
Nacho

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:35 am

Nacho wrote:

i beg to disagree.

I'm not ashamed of that post, I knew more about the search than most all combined. I fed the services all their info,and it was an orsini debacle. Had I known who he was going to hire, ie assistants,, or the team assembled around him to pick the assistants, I wouldn't have come on so strong. I was also really loud about brown cutting 5 kids and costing us a bunch of wins last year,
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:37 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Nacho wrote:

i beg to disagree.

I'm not ashamed of that post, I knew more about the search than most all combined. I fed the services all their info,and it was an orsini debacle. Had I known who he was going to hire, ie assistants,, or the team assembled around him to pick the assistants, I wouldn't have come on so strong. I was also really loud about brown cutting 5 kids and costing us a bunch of wins last year,

I think even Brown has said that he probably cost the team some wins by cutting those players.
mustangxc

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:40 am

mustangxc wrote:

I think even Brown has said that he probably cost the team some wins by cutting those players.[/quote]

The leslee smith cut was just silly, especially when you see his numbers in the big 10
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:40 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Nacho wrote:

i beg to disagree.

I think hoopmanx was echoing the sentiments of a lot of fans when he made that post. I know the first thing I said when we fired Doh was, "We better not go hire some old guy." Lots of people were wrong on this one. Thankfully we're not in charge.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:45 am

Even those of us that were on board with the higher from day one could never have imagined it working out as well as it has. I don't think anyone saw this coming.
mustangxc

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:26 am

I don't know who has the time to search and dig up these old posts...wish I had that kind of free time!

But thanks for reminding me that I was the "source" of the breaking news...LOL
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SmooBoy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:15 pm

This thread is still classic. Yep, he's obviously too old to win and will quit after one year.
SmooBoy

Postby stangsup4 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:14 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
mustangxc wrote:

I think even Brown has said that he probably cost the team some wins by cutting those players.

The leslee smith cut was just silly, especially when you see his numbers in the big 10[/quote]
I think losing Bernardi was much more important. Kid would be huge for us this year if he were still here.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:18 pm

LB wanted Bernardi to stay.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Oliver » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:50 pm

There's not one person that could have predicted things would have turned out like this. I guess something to be thankful for when the next wave of Peruna's Law comes into effect
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball