PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Larry Brown?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Larry Brown?

Postby Mitch McConnell » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:39 pm

C'mon you really think that's gonna happen? I seriously doubt it.

We're in that not knowing stage where people have been told to clam up or don't know anything. The lack of information creates anxiety and that the search is tanking - fair or unfair.

We'll see.
Mitch McConnell
Hall of Famer

Re: Re: Larry Brown?

Postby couch 'em » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:49 pm

hoopmanx wrote:The good news for many of you, is if Larry Brown is hired, I'm done. Tired of being a joke, and that hire is a farce. Great coach, but a horrible idea to build a program long-term. He'll quit a year into the Big East and we'll be sitting here again, in no better a position

Rather have a young long term guy with the right recruiting connections, but you don't think a guy like that could sign on for a couple years to jump start us, bring in some young assistants, black with recruiting connections, and a hc in waiting, and have it be a great deal? The guy did not win NCAA and NBA championships without knowing how to hire assistants. We aren't talking about June who was never successful as a head coach I'm the pros and only marginally successful in college
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:49 pm

I see Mexmustang and SMU's resident street agent thug are at it again making vague, general, uniformed statements about SMU academic admission obstacles. We got the guy over at Rivals talking about how tough it is to get JUCOs in when we've had about 15 in FB and BB in the last few years in FB and BB most of which were NON-QUALIFIERS out of high school-hell one had a GED. Not one person bothered to point out that NCAA requirements for JUCO transfers is going UP not DOWN from 2.0 GPA to 2.5 GPA. GET THAT? NCAA JUCO REQUIREMENTS ARE GOING UP!!!!!!!!!!! See link for 2.5 GPA for JUCOs http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... es-changes

Not to mention the big time transfers in both sports who were on academic probation when they transferred to SMU. None of the experts talking about lowering academic standards bother to tell you what they really mean. They mean they want to admit kids making 620s and 650 SATs( 600 points lower than SMU's average), they want kids who take correspondence courses from diploma mills and they want to admit the kids going to multiple schools to manufacture transcripts. I've posted an official statement from the Baylor Board of Govenors showing Baylor retained the exact same rule that SMU has on SAT floor-it is not NCAA minimum on the non-existent NCAA floor. Otherwise, SMU can admit just about anybody else and has for 4 years. See the SMU APR numbers in FB and BB which have fallen off a cliff

Notice not one mentioned recent modifications to residency requirements or banning of diploma mills. None of these guys mentioned that the NCAA also mandated that students must pass 10 of the 16 required core courses prior to the seventh semester of high school in order for him or her to compete in their first year at college. That means students can’t cruise through the first part of their high school career and load up on required courses at the end-likely at a store front diploma mill. The NCAA is the one who has raised core requirements first from 13 then 14 and now 16 and yes one of those core requirements can be a foreign language core credit.

They kept [deleted] about why there are no athlete friendly majors or special rules for admitting athletes when they've been told a thousand times the NCAA does not allow a school to have special rules for athletes. There is barely an SMU Basketball player in years that WASN'T academically marginal. Hell half our Class had to sit out last year.

The fact is that resident street thug can't identify a single player SMU can't get in and a legitimate, unjust reason he wasn't admitted. When he tries to name a kid he is repeatedly proven wrong-or he names a kid with a criminal record, or he names a kid that went to a diploma mill or he names a kid who basically can't read o.r a Euro who signed BUT was later RULED INELIGIBLE by the NCAA.

Mexmustang goes on and on about SMU raising their core entrance requirements without pointing out the NCAA raised its core requirements too. The fact is that the NCAA has addressed in very recent years almost every single area where SMU might possibly be at minimal disadvantage and SMU is right there where we should be on admissions.

You don't need to bottom 5% to win. The Coaches that go for those guys are the ones that fail to get the better prospects who actually belong on campus.
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CoxBizGrad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Brown is not coming here, but I like the idea. Great visibility, proven, long term success on both the collegiate and pro levels, extremely well connected, and a teacher. Come aboard, bring a couple of excellent young assistants, and have a detailed succession plan.
CoxBizGrad
Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:25 pm

I will say that hiring Brown would bring us publicity and would probably see a major increase in attendance, and he would appear to me to bring some possibilities as a mentor and teacher. That said, I don't want to be looking for another head coach in 2 or 3 years. And, from the football (soccer) history, mentoring rolls with younger coaches being primed for the HC job never work very well, and most are disastrous.

I will support SMU if they hire Brown, but I think they should look elsewhere, especially given the money they are prepared to pay. Get us someone with a proven record who represents a viable long term option. We could really use a guy who can get us good fast, the BE is not place for a slow rebuilding job.

Just my tuppence.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Stallion wrote:I see Mexmustang and SMU's resident street agent thug are at it again making vague, general, uniformed statements about SMU academic admission obstacles. We got the guy over at Rivals talking about how tough it is to get JUCOs in when we've had about 15 in FB and BB in the last few years in FB and BB most of which were NON-QUALIFIERS out of high school-hell one had a GED. Not one person bothered to point out that NCAA requirements for JUCO transfers is going UP not DOWN from 2.0 GPA to 2.5 GPA. GET THAT? NCAA JUCO REQUIREMENTS ARE GOING UP!!!!!!!!!!! See link for 2.5 GPA for JUCOs http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... es-changes

Not to mention the big time transfers in both sports who were on academic probation when they transferred to SMU. None of the experts talking about lowering academic standards bother to tell you what they really mean. They mean they want to admit kids making 620s and 650 SATs( 600 points lower than SMU's average), they want kids who take correspondence courses from diploma mills and they want to admit the kids going to multiple schools to manufacture transcripts. I've posted an official statement from the Baylor Board of Govenors showing Baylor retained the exact same rule that SMU has on SAT floor-it is not NCAA minimum on the non-existent NCAA floor. Otherwise, SMU can admit just about anybody else and has for 4 years. See the SMU APR numbers in FB and BB which have fallen off a cliff

Notice not one mentioned recent modifications to residency requirements or banning of diploma mills. None of these guys mentioned that the NCAA also mandated that students must pass 10 of the 16 required core courses prior to the seventh semester of high school in order for him or her to compete in their first year at college. That means students can’t cruise through the first part of their high school career and load up on required courses at the end-likely at a store front diploma mill. The NCAA is the one who has raised core requirements first from 13 then 14 and now 16 and yes one of those core requirements can be a foreign language core credit.

They kept [deleted] about why there are no athlete friendly majors or special rules for admitting athletes when they've been told a thousand times the NCAA does not allow a school to have special rules for athletes. There is barely an SMU Basketball player in years that WASN'T academically marginal. Hell half our Class had to sit out last year.

The fact is that resident street thug can't identify a single player SMU can't get in and a legitimate, unjust reason he wasn't admitted. When he tries to name a kid he is repeatedly proven wrong-or he names a kid with a criminal record, or he names a kid that went to a diploma mill or he names a kid who basically can't read o.r a Euro who signed BUT was later RULED INELIGIBLE by the NCAA.

Mexmustang goes on and on about SMU raising their core entrance requirements without pointing out the NCAA raised its core requirements too. The fact is that the NCAA has addressed in very recent years almost every single area where SMU might possibly be at minimal disadvantage and SMU is right there where we should be on admissions.

You don't need to bottom 5% to win. The Coaches that go for those guys are the ones that fail to get the better prospects who actually belong on campus.

LOL @ calling someone a 'street thug' on a basketball board, at a school previously labeled in the streets, as being racist. Reminds of a story an African-American coach, that used to work at SMU, told me about his first few days on the job. Apparently, a certain heavy alum told him he needed to recruit in a button down and khaki's, and that his look was too 'hip-hop'. Was that you, Stallion?

Anyway, I digress. The reality behind your book-learned diatribe is that coaches, the ones that actually recruit these kids, find SMU to be a completely flawed model. IUntil you sit down w/any recruit coordinator SMU has had in the last 15 years, and get their take, why would anyone care about your cut'n'paste NCAA by law garbage. That's text, not where the rubber meets the road.

Local AAU & grassroot heads will openly tell anyone that SMU will never get the best locals, so long as admissions are the way they are. I bet you hear more about that, from some of those figureheads, in the coming days. Just a hunch. Beyond that, I've given you countless kids in the past we couldn't recruit due to academics, that our competition had no problem offering and accepting. Beyond that, you unjustly called out our 2010 class, ie Leslee Smith & Vilde, as being academic casualties, when the reality is that those kids were ruled ineligible for discrepancies in their transcripts based on doing most of their schooling in another country. Leslee is on the academic honor roll, and Vilde speaks like 4 languages. Hardly a matter of them being bad students, just a matter of foreign transcripts.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:42 pm

I think that we need to take a serious and hard look at the standard of name-calling that occurs on this board. We are SMU fans, and we will NEVER be hard. We will never have nicknames that read like the script to Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. So please stop pretending you are tough. It's laughable.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm

hoopmanx wrote:The good news for many of you, is if Larry Brown is hired, I'm done. Tired of being a joke, and that hire is a farce. Great coach, but a horrible idea to build a program long-term. He'll quit a year into the Big East and we'll be sitting here again, in no better a position

This post says it better than my earlier post, I agree with this.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby FIVE-O-FAN » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:17 pm

SMU is looking to make a splash with their hire. They want to create buzz (no pun intended). Who else is out there other than Brown that can do this? He would put butts in seats and right now that is as important to the program as anything. I would love to see us hire a guy that is looking to build a program and become the SMU version of Dean Smith. The fact is that that guy, whoever he is, probably has no interest in the SMU job right now. Brown brings instant notoriety to SMU and has skins on the wall. I'd like to get him here for a few years and turn this thing around. Then we have a chance at luring the long term guy that is looking for more than a stepping stone. just my opinion.
FIVE-O-FAN
All-American

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:34 pm

I agree in the fact he would quit 2 years in and we'd be left with another search..I really don't like this idea. Up and coming, if Baylor can do it, we can too. From murders to the NCAA's..
GiddyUp

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:52 pm

FIVE-O-FAN wrote:SMU is looking to make a splash with their hire. They want to create buzz (no pun intended). Who else is out there other than Brown that can do this? He would put butts in seats and right now that is as important to the program as anything. I would love to see us hire a guy that is looking to build a program and become the SMU version of Dean Smith. The fact is that that guy, whoever he is, probably has no interest in the SMU job right now. Brown brings instant notoriety to SMU and has skins on the wall. I'd like to get him here for a few years and turn this thing around. Then we have a chance at luring the long term guy that is looking for more than a stepping stone. just my opinion.

SMU hasn't cared about selling seats since the SWC. These programs just run at deficit, and getting an extra 100 season tix holders, while great, is small potatoes in the overall scheme. Orsini & crew hired June for 2mill plus, and yet we had like 17k for the UCF game this year. Hire to build product over a reasonable stretch, not for marketing splash. Its fleeting. Larry Brown is an amazing coach, but HCIWs work almost never, and hiring a great staff doesn't compensate for an MIA head man, no matter how famous.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FIVE-O-FAN » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:00 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
FIVE-O-FAN wrote:SMU is looking to make a splash with their hire. They want to create buzz (no pun intended). Who else is out there other than Brown that can do this? He would put butts in seats and right now that is as important to the program as anything. I would love to see us hire a guy that is looking to build a program and become the SMU version of Dean Smith. The fact is that that guy, whoever he is, probably has no interest in the SMU job right now. Brown brings instant notoriety to SMU and has skins on the wall. I'd like to get him here for a few years and turn this thing around. Then we have a chance at luring the long term guy that is looking for more than a stepping stone. just my opinion.

SMU hasn't cared about selling seats since the SWC. These programs just run at deficit, and getting an extra 100 season tix holders, while great, is small potatoes in the overall scheme. Orsini & crew hired June for 2mill plus, and yet we had like 17k for the UCF game this year. Hire to build product over a reasonable stretch, not for marketing splash. Its fleeting. Larry Brown is an amazing coach, but HCIWs work almost never, and hiring a great staff doesn't compensate for an MIA head man, no matter how famous.

I don't disagree. I just think that we need a turnaround guy before the builder becomes interested in SMU. I don't know who else is out there right now. None of the names being tossed around on here excite me.
FIVE-O-FAN
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:57 pm

SMU was coached down last year. We have far better talent than the results we saw, in that execution-less, putrid excuse for a system. We need one guy, young & aggressive, that's tireless.

If we're dead set on spending 3 mill, go grab Gregg Marshall. Its not about exciting anyone, it's about making a solid basketball hire & coach. I really don't get where 'exciting' the fans even plays in. Nothing excites SMU fans, short of being soo good, it's better than a greek mixer.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 pm

hoopmanx wrote:If we're dead set on spending 3 mill, go grab Gregg Marshall.

I have to admit that I thought the same thing a few days ago
CalallenStang

Postby Mitch McConnell » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:38 pm

I liked him early
Mitch McConnell
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball