PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sutton next?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sutton next?

Postby Boston Pony » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Don't care about name, just win baby! Get a coach (up & comers are okay) and get going. The right coach can prove the program can be successful as we all believe that it can be with the type of support that the school is attempting to put together.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Add Scott Sutton's Dad Eddie Sutton to the list of WTF Hires when he came to Fayetteville. Mediocre success at Creighton over 4 years then 1 splash year in the NCAA Tournament-before going to Arkansas
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Boston Pony wrote: Get a coach (up & comers are okay) and get going.

Grant McCasland at Baylor. National Championship and finals as head coach at Midland College - playoffs as head coach at Midwestern - hired as head coach at ACU but backed out and went to Baylor. Has also been an assistant at Texas Tech. He's not Buzz but I do believe he is an "up-and-comer". I know... up-and-comers don't electrify and motivate the masses - Scott Drew didn't at first - but this guy will make a name for himself somewhere, someday. Shoot, given the chance, he might even turn it down. :oops:
Bergermeister

Postby The Q » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Was McCasland one of those named by the NCAA? Or was he actually clean?
The Q
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:45 pm

The Q wrote:Was McCasland one of those named by the NCAA? Or was he actually clean?

I don't know. This was his first season at BU. From what I know of him and his background he is squeaky clean. I've been wrong once (or twice) before. Explore. You never know when you've got a diamond in the rough.
Bergermeister

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:34 pm

If we're talking coaches with a Baylor background, Bliss would be a killer choice.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:27 pm

CoxBizGrad wrote:Sutton interviewed for the Nebraska and Mississippi State HC positions this year.

And was interviewed by Tulsa. All 3 schools said no thanks.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Sutton next?

Postby Dutch » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:If we're talking coaches with a Baylor background, Bliss would be a killer choice.

Bwahahaha
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Sic_em » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:04 pm

And of course, Bliss cut his teeth high on the Hilltop.

Has Orsini talked to Fran Fraschilla yet? There are some other up and comers Orsini should at least talk to.

Grant MacCasland seems like a good guy, but I'm not sure if he's ready to make the jump to HC of a Big East program just yet. He will be ready some day and SMU could probably do worse, but there are some pretty good options out there.

Matt Driscoll - another former BU assistant, has been the HC at North Florida for 3 years now and has the energy and personality to get people excited about SMU Basketball again.

Steve Henson - former NBA player and top assistant for Lon Kruger at OU. A guy ready for a HC job.

Rodney Terry or Kris Ogden at UT - longtime assistants ready to move up

Bob Marlin - HC at SHSU, now at La-Lafayette

Glenn Cyprien - top assistant at Memphis and now A&M. Great recruiter
Sic_em
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 pm

don't fit his profile- what ever in the hell that is..
redpony

Postby Kynd Tulsa Phan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:18 pm

I posted this in the other thread...

Sutton apparently REALLY likes living in Tulsa and is very connected (family wise) to Tulsa. I think he was pretty bummed about not getting the TU gig...or maybe he snubbed TU...I dont know. Eddie was politicking for him to get the Tulsa job radio. Personally I wouldve loved to hire him.

If SMU can get him to Dallas THIS WOULD BE A HOME RUN HIRE for SMU. Great coach, great character and a damn good recruiter. He coaches @ Oral Freaking Roberts and gets quality players.

FWIW: Bryce Drew turned Tulsa down.
Trey was using the powers of Gamehendge to allow the show to continue, to give the band the strength it needed to help break through this barrier
Kynd Tulsa Phan
All-American

Postby Mitch McConnell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:24 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
CoxBizGrad wrote:Sutton interviewed for the Nebraska and Mississippi State HC positions this year.

And was interviewed by Tulsa. All 3 schools said no thanks.

Nebraska is a thankless job and Miss St. is about to be.
Mitch McConnell
Hall of Famer

Postby Kynd Tulsa Phan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Mitch

Did you think Tulsa had a prayer in getting Tubby Smith to come back?
Trey was using the powers of Gamehendge to allow the show to continue, to give the band the strength it needed to help break through this barrier
Kynd Tulsa Phan
All-American

Postby Elm Grove Gopher » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Some at the U would wish that, although Katz has them in next years Top 25 with Mbakwe coming back.

Seriously..no.
Elm Grove Gopher

Postby Mitch McConnell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Kynd Tulsa Phan wrote:Mitch

Did you think Tulsa had a prayer in getting Tubby Smith to come back?

There was no chance of that happening.

And Elm Grove, I followed that talk (which was ridiculous). Some of the unrealistic Gopher fans were brutal and unfounded in their criticism. Tubby lost his best player in each of the last two years in Al Nolen last year (that team collapsed when the PG went down) and then when Mbakwe jacked up his knee against Dayton in that tournament in Orlando, this group was hanging on.

I got frustrated because there were several games they couldn't finish, see Michigan State in Minneapolis. Still, there were 6-7 new faces on that team this year who were figuring it out and Tubby didn't decide on his point guard until Andre Hollins was healthy from his ankle injury. That kid really used the Big 10 tournament the NIT to help him grow.

If they're healthy next year, they'll be pretty good.

Long live The Barn!

Mitch McConnell
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball