PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sutton next?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sutton next?

Postby Kynd Tulsa Phan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 pm

I didnt think so either.

It wouldve been cool seeing thats where he got his start. I hope he continues to be successful @ his MINN.

Im pretty happy with Danny Manning and the staff hes put together so far.

Anyway - back to Sutton talk.
Trey was using the powers of Gamehendge to allow the show to continue, to give the band the strength it needed to help break through this barrier
Kynd Tulsa Phan
All-American

Postby Mitch McConnell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm glad Danny's getting his chance. I wish him well. I'm sure Self pushed pretty hard for that.
Mitch McConnell
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 am

redpony wrote:I really think we are missing the boat by not interviewing Cameron Dollar. In addition to his coaching abilities he also has strong backing from nike - our new supplier.

If we hire Cameron Dollar to be our HC, I'll be the guy on the news arrested for setting fire to Moody
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponypatrick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:04 am

papawasamustang wrote:Sutton, Thompson, Jones, Menzies, or Cross, all fit the bill. They aren't a step down by any means.
Time to stop the "elephant hunt".

I like the quote below re: Thompson. It's a perfect example of the type of coach SMU should hire as their next HC. Thompson should be the choice IMO. Sutton & Jones a close second.

Brooks Thompson – Thompson is considered a rising star in the profession and also has quite a playing pedigree from his days in the NBA. Could be ready to take the next step in his career.

Brooks James Thompson (born July 19, 1970) is a retired American professional basketball player who was selected by the Orlando Magic in the 1st round (27th overall) of the 1994 NBA Draft. A guard from Texas A&M University and Oklahoma State University, Thompson played in four NBA seasons for five different teams. He played for the Magic, Utah Jazz, Denver Nuggets, Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks.

Thompson attended Littleton High School in Littleton, Colorado. Thompson was named the Colorado player of the year in 1989 and lead Littleton to 24-0 record and the state 4A title.

In his NBA career, Thompson played in 168 games and scored a total 760 points. On November 26, 1996, as a member of the Nuggets, he scored a career high 26 points against the Suns.

He also played for a few games in the Greek league for Iraklis Thessaloniki.

On April 19, 2006, Thompson was named head coach of the men's basketball team of the University of Texas at San Antonio.

On November 15, 2009, Thompson and UTSA defeated The University of Iowa. It was UTSA's first ever win versus a Big Ten Conference school.

+ 1................Spot on !!!!!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:19 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
redpony wrote:I really think we are missing the boat by not interviewing Cameron Dollar. In addition to his coaching abilities he also has strong backing from nike - our new supplier.

If we hire Cameron Dollar to be our HC, I'll be the guy on the news arrested for setting fire to Moody

Cameron would be a very solid pick. Every bit as good as Sutton, Thompson, Jones, Cross, Arrow etc
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony^ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 am

If Villanova can do it . . . .

Why can’t SMU?

“It’s difficult to win anywhere,” Villanova coach Jay Wright said. “Everybody has figured out it’s important to be good in basketball, even the big state schools that love football. It’s important, and everyone is putting a lot of money into it.”

Wright has coached Villanova for 11 seasons. Despite competing in the rugged Big East, the Wildcats made seven consecutive NCAA appearances from 2005-11. Wright has taken Villanova to four Sweet 16s, two Elite Eights and one Final Four.

Villanova has a few hundred more students on campus than the 7,000 of SMU. But Wright doesn’t see the size of his school or its academic standards as a handicap when he recruits his fertile home turf against the likes of Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina.

“If you’re a private institution in a metropolitan area, that’s who you are,” Wright said. “You can’t try to be like Nebraska or Oklahoma. You are who you are, and you’ve got to find people who fit your culture.

“We just try to be the best Villanova we can be. We can’t compare ourselves with Louisville and UConn and try to do things like they do. We have to do things that fit our culture and be the best we can be.”

So Wright recruits players who fit the culture. He sticks to the Northeastern corridor. Four of his players are from New Jersey, three from eastern Pennsylvania, two from New York and another from Maryland. He does have one player from Florida, but there’s a reason — the player grew up in New Jersey and has family there.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist projects as a lottery pick off national champion Kentucky. He’s from Camden, N.J., and his choice of a college came down to Kentucky or Villanova.

“There are so many players in our region,” Wright said, “that you can’t be afraid to lose them. Everyone comes into the area to recruit them. You can’t be afraid to battle — and lose some battles.

“You can’t have an ego about it. It’s not about the battles you lose, it’s about the battles you win, the guys you get. Duke comes in here. Carolina comes in here. You still have to go after those kids and compete for them.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20120412-gosselin-why-villanova-should-be-smu-s-model-on-how-to-achieve-basketball-success.ece
Pony^
All-American

Sutton next?

Postby WordUpBU » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:44 am

Sic_em wrote:And of course, Bliss cut his teeth high on the Hilltop.

Has Orsini talked to Fran Fraschilla yet? There are some other up and comers Orsini should at least talk to.

Grant MacCasland seems like a good guy, but I'm not sure if he's ready to make the jump to HC of a Big East program just yet. He will be ready some day and SMU could probably do worse, but there are some pretty good options out there.

Matt Driscoll - another former BU assistant, has been the HC at North Florida for 3 years now and has the energy and personality to get people excited about SMU Basketball again.

Steve Henson - former NBA player and top assistant for Lon Kruger at OU. A guy ready for a HC job.

Rodney Terry or Kris Ogden at UT - longtime assistants ready to move up

Bob Marlin - HC at SHSU, now at La-Lafayette

Glenn Cyprien - top assistant at Memphis and now A&M. Great recruiter

Really like Driscoll. Very good recruiter as an assistant in Waco.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby DFW HOYA » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Pony^ wrote:If Villanova can do it . . . .

Not much to compare between the two. The Big Five schools (Pennsylvania, Temple, Villanova, St. Joseph's, LaSalle) have such a mythology in that area it's hard to compare them to any other area.

Vanderbilt might be a better comparison.
DFW HOYA
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Basketball