PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

North Texas hires Benford

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: North Texas hires Benford

Postby RunningStang » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 pm

So do you think Larry Brown will offer him the head coach in waiting position now that he is a head coach? :lol:
RunningStang
Junior Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:38 pm

LHS81 wrote:The North Texas Community College fans don't seem excited about the hire. :mrgreen:

They're mostly a sourpuss group anyway.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 pm

NTSU board is so choice-I was over there for like 3 minutes and saw advertisements from 3 correspondence course schools.

I don't know why they would bitch-I think its a great choice for that school
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MeanGreenMachine » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Stallion wrote:NTSU board is so choice-I was over there for like 3 minutes and saw advertisements from 3 correspondence course schools.

Don't know who is [deleted], but they are idiots if they are. No, this a great hire. I was sorry to see Jones leave, but LSU is tough to say no to. Benford will keep our sparkling basketball tradition alive in Denton. I look forward to another 20+ win season in 2012-13. Getting pretty commonplace around these parts. Hey, after Brown leaves you at the altar in January or so, you should come up to the Superpit and root us on as we begin our drive to the Tournament.
UNT: The premier research institution of North Texas and only university in D/FW with both medical and law schools! Leading the way for D/FW now and in the future!
MeanGreenMachine
Scout Team

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:15 pm

MeanGreenMachine wrote:
Stallion wrote:NTSU board is so choice-I was over there for like 3 minutes and saw advertisements from 3 correspondence course schools.

Don't know who is [deleted], but they are idiots if they are. No, this a great hire. I was sorry to see Jones leave, but LSU is tough to say no to. Benford will keep our sparkling basketball tradition alive in Denton. I look forward to another 20+ win season in 2012-13. Getting pretty commonplace around these parts. Hey, after Brown leaves you at the altar in January or so, you should come up to the Superpit and root us on as we begin our drive to the Tournament.

If Benford has success we will probably take him from you.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby redpony » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:05 pm

We just view it as OJT at the semi-local community college until he is really ready for big time bball.
redpony

Postby LHS81 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:01 pm

We should be supporting the local junior college teams.
2015 INDIANAPOLIS OR BUST
LHS81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MG_Eagle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Hope all is well with you guys as I haven't been on here in a long time.

I don't think the UNT folks dislike the Benford hire but I think most on the board including myself would have probably preferred Fran Fraschilla. That said I do think Benford is a good hire for us and should continue the momentum of our recent basketball success. One more thing, I think our AD has constantly stated that he prefers to go with a proven HC versus an assistant and he didn't with this one. If we were going to hire an assistant many of us were vouching for Shawn Forrest since he's been known to be a good recruiter and already knows our boys. Time will tell how this hire turns out but I think it could be really good one.

As for Larry Brown, it is obvious he's going to be with you guys in the short term but I think this season is really critical for some serious success and turnaround. If this season doesn't turn out well or on an uptick I just don't know if many good recruits will come to SMU given his age. I realize there is a coach in waiting but I'm not sure what any of that means...see Will Muschamp. But on the whole coaching hires are always a crapshoot anyways so who really knows how any of these coaches will turn out.

That said good luck to all you guys this season and beyond and I think in a few years we could have 4 schools having pretty good success in men's basketball in SMU, UNT, TCU and UTA. Local college basketball is getting really good and fun. Good luck to you guys!
MG_Eagle

Postby papawasamustang » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Still would love to see a tournament with all 4 locals. Would be fun.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:03 am

papawasamustang wrote:Still would love to see a tournament with all 4 locals. Would be fun.

For sure.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby PerunaDontCare » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 am

Jones is gonna be missed. He was a great coach.
PerunaDontCare
Scout Team

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:41 am

I think Benford is a good hire for NT
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Comet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Winner of - UTA vs. UNT

vs.

Winner of - TCU vs. SMU

Winner gets the DFW trophy
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby UTArlingtonMaverick » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:03 pm

UNT: The premier research institution of North Texas and only university in D/FW with both medical and law schools! Leading the way for D/FW now and in the future!

Not exactly. Of the three major state universities in DFW, UNT is the least research intensive. 2011 Research Expenditures per the Higher Education Coordinating Board: UTD $93.2 million, UTA $65.9 million, UNT 25.4 million. I don't have SMU's numbers, but I'd sure bet they exceed $25.4. UNT is significantly behind, but trying hard to play catch-up.

UNT (Denton) does not have a medical school or a law school. The medical school is a free-standing institution in Fort Worth, and the proposed law school belongs to the system but will go over to UNT Dallas. However, if you get to make claims to sister system institutions, then I claim UT Southwestern as UT Arlington's medical school....and UTA has a great law school in Austin on the South Campus...not so realistic, but analogous claims.

Moving on to more reasonable grounds, I think the UNT basketball hire is a very good one.
UTArlingtonMaverick

Postby mrydel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:28 pm

UTArlingtonMaverick wrote:UNT: The premier research institution of North Texas and only university in D/FW with both medical and law schools! Leading the way for D/FW now and in the future!

Not exactly. Of the three major state universities in DFW, UNT is the least research intensive. 2011 Research Expenditures per the Higher Education Coordinating Board: UTD $93.2 million, UTA $65.9 million, UNT 25.4 million. I don't have SMU's numbers, but I'd sure bet they exceed $25.4. UNT is significantly behind, but trying hard to play catch-up.

UNT (Denton) does not have a medical school or a law school. The medical school is a free-standing institution in Fort Worth, and the proposed law school belongs to the system but will go over to UNT Dallas. However, if you get to make claims to sister system institutions, then I claim UT Southwestern as UT Arlington's medical school....and UTA has a great law school in Austin on the South Campus...not so realistic, but analogous claims.

Moving on to more reasonable grounds, I think the UNT basketball hire is a very good one.

Please, I must insist that if you are going to come onto our board and discuss our neighbor to the north, that you must refer to them by the proper name. NTSU. It is a Mustang etiquette rule. :D
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball