PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA Tournament thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA Tournament thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:42 pm

A couple of things jump out at me after hearing all the selections. This committee loves the MWC and we are about to find out whether they have been hugely overrated or they are the real deal. MWC gets 6 teams and Big East only 3? Time for a MWC vs Big East challenge next year!

Obviously the AAC was disrespected with FAU getting into the 8/9 matchup with the winner getting UConn...and both UAB and FAU being put in the same bracket. Hope the can surprise some people.

Time for the Big XII to prove they are worthy of all the love they got this year with as many teams as they will have competing
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: NCAA Tournament thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:52 pm

and...thanks to NCSU's upsetting the Tar Heels the ACC gets 5 teams in after what most considered a down year for the conference. Will be interesting to see how the ACC teams do
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyME » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:31 pm

I was a Wolfpack fan throughout the ACC tournament (sorry Graceland Tarheel)…paying homage to their vote that got us into the ACC. Having watched most of the ACC tournament, we have a major hurdle ahead of us in terms of talent, depth, and coaching. Anyone thinking that this is a talented team that needs more time to gel is in for a huge wake up call. But we have the resources to become a solid mid to upper mid level basketball program in the ACC if we set the same expectations for bball as we have for football.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:18 pm

Have to admit I'm a college basketball junkie...at least come tournament time. Congrats to Wagner for their 1st ever NCAA Tournament win in what was a pretty exciting First Four game against Howard. That Howard team came back from 17 down and missed three 3 point shots as time expired that could have sent the game to OT. One of my H.S. teammates married a Wagner girl so I had a reason to pull for them.

Now on to Virginia vs Colorado State. One of my regular golf foursome is a Virginia grad and I'm pulling for Virginia to make Colorado State and the MWC look overrated
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:51 am

Virginia looked horrible against CSU last night. Their offense looks worse than ours. Made me wish we could have played them in Ft Myers tournament and I'm reminded Wisconsin beat them by more than 20 points in that 1st round game. They did not look like a team that deserved to be in the NCAA tourney. The way that game started (I think it was a 4-2 game 6 minutes in) I got a kick out of the announcer saying "let's hope this isn't a game where the 1st team to 10 wins!"
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:15 pm

FAU flames out in OT in their 1st round game vs Northwestern to become another "one hit wonder" of the NCAA Tourney.

UAB down 10 at halftime to SDSU. Not looking very good for the AAC.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:55 pm

UAB in a very competitive game as the #12 seed against #5 seed SDSU. UAB down 2 points under 2 minutes to play
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:09 pm

UAB loses and the AAC goes one and done for the tournament

Both UNC and NCSU won yesterday. Clemson up double digit at halftime and Duke plays later tonight. So far, Virginia is the only ACC team eliminated after a really poor showing in their play-in game vs Colorado State who Texas handled pretty easily in another offensively challenged game last night
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:22 pm

Clemson beats New Mexico easily 77-56
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:37 pm

SEC is having a rough time.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm

Terry Webster wrote:SEC is having a rough time.

Aggie$ win easily as a #9 vs #8 but otherwise they have performed really poorly. They have already had both a #3 and #4 bow out. Kentucky doing their all too familiar disappointing loss to end their season
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:24 pm

4 of the 5 ACC teams that got into the dance are advancing to the sweet 16. Even in a "down year" this is one heck of a basketball conference!

On the other hand, not too many of those 8 Big XII teams that got in are still standing. I assume Houston will join Iowa State as their only 2 survivors despite some generous seedings. Clemson Coach Brownell might be right about the committee having been overly influenced by those gaudy NET rankings. We certainly weren't deserving of our NET ranking this year that came largely from beating up on weak opponents
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:33 pm

Big East looking good and if UConn handles Northwestern, all 3 of their invitees will advance to the Sweet 16
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:56 am

Big East and ACC leading the way in terms of winning percentage and the number of teams they are sending on the the Sweet 16

ACC 8-1 .889 4 of 5 advancing
A-10 2-2 .500 none
AAC 0-2 .000 none
Big 12 7-6 .538 2 of 8
Big East 6-0 1.000 3 of 3
Big Ten 6-4 .600 2 of 6
MWC 4-5 .444 1 of 5
Pac-12 6-3 .667 1 of 4
SEC 5-6 .454 2 of 8
WCC 2-1 .667 1 of 2
Charleston Pony