PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NIT thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NIT thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:14 pm

UNT wins at LSU to open their defense of last year's championship when they beat UAB for the title. Have to say I am pulling for all the AAC teams to do well in this post season because I really want to believe the AAC is a better conference than all the "experts" seem to think
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: NIT thread

Postby indianmustang » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:27 pm

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby indianmustang » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:43 pm

USF Wins
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:47 am

indianmustang wrote:USF Wins

Good win for them @ UCF. So far, so good for the AAC. Go Ponies tonight!
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:03 am

ACC teams did well with both BC and Virginia Tech winning. Big East lost all of their games with Providence, Xavier & Butler all losing, reinforcing the NCAA committee's decision to invite only 3 Big east teams to the dance
Charleston Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:11 am

Anyone heard any news on the availability of Harris?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby shadowman » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:03 am

The DMN actually had a front page article on the sports page about SMU in the NIT today and said that he should be good to go. They even hade a quote from Harris that he is hoping to be at 100% by game time.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:09 pm

USF is fittingly the last AAC team still standing in the post season. After all, they were the regular season champs. Of course, after what he's accomplished in his last 2 seasons with different programs, Coach Abdur-Rahim is probably an even money bet on his moving on vs staying at USF next year
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:35 pm

USF bounced by VCU. Wake and BC also out so the AAC and ACC are both done in the NIT with nobody participating in the Final Four in Indy (doesn't seem right this even is no longer in MSG)
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:21 am

Happy to see Indiana State win last night. They got hosed by not getting a tournament invite, and I hope they win the NIT.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:33 pm

Hop Sing wrote:Happy to see Indiana State win last night. They got hosed by not getting a tournament invite, and I hope they win the NIT.

Their coach, Josh Schertz is a guy who is going to attract a lot of D-I attention. I watched him build a D-II powerhouse at Lincoln Memorial (TN) before turning that program over to our very own J-Frog (Jeremiah Samarrippas who was our PG before Jank brought us Nic Moore). I'm aware of Schetrz because he coached against a neighbor of mine (Brian Good - HC of Wingate) and LMU consistently won their conference title and made D-!! playoff appearances. He's only been at ISU 3 years now but has rebuilt that program quickly. They ate our lunch in our 1st round game and I watched that game last night and they did the same to Cincinnati knocking down threes and getting back door layup after layup. Schertz recruited 3 point shooters and a big guy in the middle that allows that team to spread the floor and kill you from outside or in the paint. I don't know if they will win the NIT but my money is on Schertz, who is only 48, to be coaching in a bigger program soon. Definitely pulling for them to win the NIT and do believe they could have at least won a 1st round game in the NCAA
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:40 am

Utah made 17 of 29 threes but it wasn't enough to beat Indiana State. ISU wins 100-90 and advances to play Seton Hall (an 84-67 winner over Georgia) for the NIT Championship. In that ISU game, their big guy Robbie Avila had 26 points on 11-14 shooting that included 3-5 from three. He also had 10 rebounds and 3 assists. Would be nice to have a guy like that who can impact a game the way he does
Charleston Pony

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:22 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:In that ISU game, their big guy Robbie Avila had 26 points on 11-14 shooting that included 3-5 from three. He also had 10 rebounds and 3 assists. Would be nice to have a guy like that who can impact a game the way he does

Kream Abdul-Jabbar is the man. Doesn’t really look athletic but he is fun to watch.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Hop Sing » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:06 pm

Go Sycamores!!
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:11 pm

This ISU team is so much fun to watch the way they spread the floor and move the ball on offense. Avila is a great distributor/passer. Hope they go on to win this thing and I will be surprised if their coach doesn't attract attention from P6 programs soon.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball