PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Possible Head coaches Names

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Possible Head coaches Names

Postby Dukie » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:23 pm

Byington to Vandy, so he's off the market.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... k-byington
Dukie
Heisman

Postby indianmustang » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:29 pm

Who can we get at this time no assistant coaches
Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:06 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
White Helmet wrote:Lanier has a job before we make a hire. Stamford made a hire, Michigan and Washington too. If we don’t hit a home run it will be an (unsurprising) disappointment…

Rice jumping on Lanier so quickly made me think of the Sonny Dykes/Rhett Lashlee announcements

I hope this is the case (i.e. that we already have our next HC in the hopper).
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:39 pm

I have absolutely no inside information to back this up, but I believe that Lanier's dismissal involved more than just the late-season collapse standing alone. I also suspect that we have had 3rd party talks with our next HC for some time and that we will find out his name very shortly. Until the contract is signed there will be a Plan B in place.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby indianmustang » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:47 pm

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:17 am

Why haven't we hired a coach> Because his team is still playing. Maybe its the Duke or Purdue coach. Or any Big East tournament team coach. Let's try and shoot the moon on this hire.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:59 am

Louisville is the only big time program left looking for a coach, so this should get wrapped up soon.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:03 am

Okie State is looking, but that isn’t big time basketball in my opinion
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:58 am

Hop Sing wrote:Okie State is looking, but that isn’t big time basketball in my opinion

Have to disagree on Okie State. They have a much more significant basketball history than SMU. Eddie Sutton had a good run there but it was Coach Iba who put them on the map. We may have had the Doc Hayes era, but Iba was a basketball legend by comparison
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Hop Sing wrote:Okie State is looking, but that isn’t big time basketball in my opinion

Have to disagree on Okie State. They have a much more significant basketball history than SMU. Eddie Sutton had a good run there but it was Coach Iba who put them on the map. We may have had the Doc Hayes era, but Iba was a basketball legend by comparison

I agree that they a stronger basketball history, I’m just stating my personal present day opinion. Dallas-ACC vs Stillwater-Big 12. Saying they aren’t big time was too harsh, but I still think we win that competition today.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:27 am

Hop Sing wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

I agree that they a stronger basketball history, I’m just stating my personal present day opinion. Dallas-ACC vs Stillwater-Big 12. Saying they aren’t big time was too harsh, but I still think we win that competition today.

Hope so. We have David Miller but they probably still have T. Boone Pickens money to compete with!
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:37 am

are we still in search mode or are we in silent negotiating mode? anybody know for sure.
IMO unless you are locked into one of the 'sweet 16' coaches we don't seem to be making much progress.
redpony

Postby Topper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:29 pm

redpony wrote:are we still in search mode or are we in silent negotiating mode? anybody know for sure.
IMO unless you are locked into one of the 'sweet 16' coaches we don't seem to be making much progress.

Looks like its Enfield
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:04 pm

IMO totally underwhelming. I was hoping for a big splash hire- aka shaka smart or similar. maybe we aren't as committed to winning as we thought.

some comments from usa today - He took a loaded roster and has guided it to the bottom of the Pac-12. USC just no-showed at Stanford. It got blown out by Oregon State. A team with this much talent should not be this bad.

Sounds kind of familiar to me
redpony

Postby Otto » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:07 pm

Topper wrote:
redpony wrote:are we still in search mode or are we in silent negotiating mode? anybody know for sure.

Looks like its Enfield

What makes you say that? His name has been floated out there, but is there any reason to believe Miller & co., are serious about him?
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball