PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Soccer Stadium

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Soccer Stadium

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:04 am

Made my first trip to the soccer stadium at TCU for the Horned Frogs vs A&M game on Sunday. (4-0 Aggies) First class facility!!! There were about 2,000-3,000 fans in attendance... tents, tailgating... terrific atmosphere. They had a fully stocked and manned concession area, burgers on the grill, fajitas on the plaza, a "dippin' dots" concession, and lots of frog gear, posters, etc. available. Overflow crowd could sit on the grassy slopes under the shade trees. Are there any plans to expand our soccer complex once the new parking garage is built? (like the elimination of some of the adjacent dorm parking to create a concourse to facilitate a more fan-friendly environment?) TCU definitely did it right.... and their new baseball park is a gem, too. And their track & field facility is very nice. Somebody is putting up big buck$ and they're doing things right!
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peaker » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:25 pm

TCU does have a wonderful facility however did you notice that it is difficult to see sideline play nearest the stands. Kind of like watching an MLS San Jose earthquake game at Spartan Stadium, on the near side all you see are moving heads and no soccer ball. Also, I think the football team uses the far area for practice.

I like the fact that you can visit the concession stand and restrooms without having to leave the facility. I have not noticed how close the althlete's training rooms, etc. are to TCU's soccer complex, which if remote can be a bummer for the athletes.

Did they ever erect lights?

Coaches Hyndman and Cossaboon anounced at the Soccer Kickoff Luncheon that after the fall season there will be improvements to Westcott Field. Apparently the field is not a full width pitch so in order to widen it they are moving the jump pits and pole vault pit. They will also improve drainage. The track will remain.
peaker
Recruit

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:50 pm

No lights at TCU, yet. That was a question I asked yesterday. They're supposed to go up before the beginning of NEXT season. I think the new coach will make huge strides in the womens program. It would be nice if we could have some of that red brick facade with Ford or Dedman architecture and put up a concession stand, restrooms, locker rooms (at least for use during games) and a plaza area like outside Ford (take out the row of parking closest to the bleachers).
Bergermeister

Postby PK » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:38 pm

Up grading of our soccer facilities is planned in the near future (don't have a date or a definition of near future, but it is going to happen). It will include bricking in the stands, adding concession stands and restrooms...I believe.
PK

Stanford

Postby Boston Pony » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:03 am

The Stanford system is one that we could copy. They have only one concession stand set up but the fields are close enough that they can share them. At Stanford, soccer/lacrosse, softball and baseball are all beside each other and the restrooms & concessions are shared. Westcott could link with Ford to utilize the tremendous set up at Ford. With little cost, you could build a plaza to link them with additional concessions. During football games you could use that plaza for family friendly activities before the game...just some thoughts.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:02 am

Improvements at Westcott would be great to see. The field is OK, but needs to be better (larger, better drainage system, better lights, etc.) And the stands, etc., are pretty primitive. Upgrade that stadium and the already-impressive recruiting will get even better.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:07 pm

Westcott can be improved and we don't have enough playing fields for lacrosse, intramurals, etc. BUT,

The Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving Teams should be at the head of the list, and that includes rennovating Moody. As top flight Division 1A programs, we need to invest or teams will erode and, in the case of Men's Track & Field, disappear.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:33 pm

With the announcement that Westcott Field improvements will occur after the season (CUSA Tournament is next month) has SMU made any project plans or drawings public yet?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Return to Other Sports