PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Collegiate Soccer Coming to Fox; SMU on Schedule

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Collegiate Soccer Coming to Fox; SMU on Schedule

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:06 pm

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 7, 2005--The National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA), Fox Soccer Channel and 12 Division I men's soccer programs have reached an agreement to broadcast a "College Soccer Game of the Week" on Friday nights this fall.

"Fox Soccer Channel is pleased to partner with the NSCAA to showcase the nation's top college soccer teams for these exclusive telecasts," said David Sternberg, general manager of Fox Soccer Channel. "Collegiate soccer is a natural complement to our network's lineup of top international and domestic soccer events, and will help us attract new viewers from across the country."

The slate of eight live Friday night matches will feature some of the top teams in NCAA Division I soccer, with telecasts scheduled to begin at 8:00 p.m. Eastern time. The first telecast is scheduled for September 16 and will feature NSCAA-ranked members UCLA (ranked #9) and Penn State University (ranked #23).

Sean Wheelock, a veteran of Major League Soccer broadcasts and other MLS programming, including the MLS SuperDraft, will serve as the primary announcer for each game. "I'm thrilled to be involved with this partnership between the NSCAA and Fox Soccer Channel, which allows top level college soccer to be broadcast nationally every week throughout the upcoming season," said Wheelock. "These telecasts will truly showcase a number of the best teams and players in the nation."

"This is an exciting step forward for intercollegiate soccer," said NSCAA President Schellas Hyndman, the men's soccer coach at Southern Methodist University. "This package is a direct result of a tremendous amount of work in a short period of time, and it stems from the vision of my colleague at the University of Maryland, Sasho Cirovski. We are so appreciative of his efforts on the project."

"This is the start of something very, very big," said Cirovski, the NSCAA Men's Division I Subcommittee Chair. "Having a consistent weekly time slot will increase the visibility and significance of college soccer nation-wide. We look forward toward the future expansion of this package with the goal of highlighting even more programs and players."

The NSCAA and Fox Soccer Channel have hired Santa Barbara, Calif.-based Cultural Videos Communications to handle the live production of all eight games. Cultural Videos' executive producer David Bolton will serve as producer/director for all of the college soccer on Fox Soccer Channel broadcasts.

The schedule, including each team's position in the NSCAA/adidas preseason rankings:

Sept. 16 No. 9 UCLA at No. 23 Penn State State College, Pa.

Sept. 23 No. 5 St. John's at No. 19 Storrs, Conn.
Connecticut

Sept. 30 No. 23 Penn State at No. 1 Bloomington, Ind.
Indiana

Oct. 7 No. 2 Maryland at No. 3 Duke Durham, N.C.

Oct. 14 No. 17 North Carolina at No. 2 College Park, Md.
Maryland

Oct. 21 No. 7 Southern Methodist at No. Tulsa, Okla.
14 Tulsa

Oct. 28 No. 3 Duke at No. 17 North Chapel Hill, N.C.
Carolina

Nov. 4 No. 6 Virginia at No. 10 Wake Winston-Salem, N.C.
Forest

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/sit ... ewsLang=en
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:21 pm

I don't see a Fox Soccer Channel on Comcast.
MrMustang1965

Postby me@smu » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:11 pm

On Comcast Digital Cable it is channel 401
me@smu
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:17 am

Muchas gracias!
MrMustang1965

Postby mustangkip » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:32 pm

SMU sure made a good showing for the college soccer game of the week. Scoring two goals in the last 10 minutes was just awesome to watch especially way down here in South Texas.
Class of 83
mustangkip
Scout Team

Return to Other Sports