PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's soccer

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's soccer

Postby Corso » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:52 pm

The men's soccer team has gotten back on its feet, I think. After getting pasted by Notre Dame and #1 Indiana, the Ponies beat West Virginia and South Florida over the weekend. Defense looks good. Goalkeeping needs to get better, and clearly the offense hasn't clicked yet. I think there's a ton of talent there, but a lot of youth and inexperience. Of course, we went through a slow start a few years back with youngsters, as I recall, and they turned out well -- I think that group was the foundation of our Final Four team.

Keep at it, Ponies. See you at the tournament this weekend.
Go Mustangs!
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby me@smu » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 pm

Let's not forget the NCAA screwed us and took our top goal scorer just before this season...so it is pretty reasonable to think our offense would suffer a little.

With the talent that we recruit every year, we will be fine and in good shape for the post season and future.
me@smu
Heisman

Postby Corso » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:43 am

What happened to that big defender, Adrian Chevannes (sp?) from last year? I thought he was a freshman last year.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby cheesepony » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:57 am

Most importantly, those close to the program know that Brent Irwin did ALL the "heavy lifting" for the program, including most of the recruiting contacts, etc..... I found it a little disheartening that a top 5 program would be lazy enought to sign 7-8 players from 1 Club team - albeit the Texans. I find it hard to believe that there were not other top tier players throughout th ecountry to bring in - Shellas was training that Dallas Texans team in spring - did he take the lazy way out?
cheesepony
Recruit

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:19 pm

the freshman talent on this team is simply disgusting. come out and see these kids if schellas puts em out. harwell, bruno, palo, hernandez, and even sandbo's not bad for a frosh goalie. trust me, when im a senior here, we'll be favorites in possibly each game to win
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby Otto » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:13 am

Hope we have a big turnout tonight at the game -- Alabama isn't always thought of as a hotbed for soccer talent, but UAB traditionally has a pretty good team. The Ponies need to get off to a good start in C-USA games .... STARTING TONIGHT!

See you at Westcott Field -- GO PONIES!
Otto
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:49 pm

Otto wrote:Hope we have a big turnout tonight at the game -- Alabama isn't always thought of as a hotbed for soccer talent, but UAB traditionally has a pretty good team. The Ponies need to get off to a good start in C-USA games .... STARTING TONIGHT!

See you at Westcott Field -- GO PONIES!
I'll be there.
Sunday, too.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:46 pm

Thanks for the soccer team reports.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Return to Other Sports