PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DC piece on softball

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DC piece on softball

Postby MustangSally » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:40 pm

SMU should take a swing at softball

by Kara Maiella
September 15, 2005

Division 1 universities across the country are taking a swing at softball, and SMU should too. As far as I am concerned, it is a disgrace — and borderline outrage — that an esteemed and costly university like SMU does not offer baseball or softball. Many people have said to me, “If it is such a big deal why don’t you go somewhere else?” Well, we all have our reasons for being at SMU, and surely mine are nothing extraordinary. I love the campus, SMU is close to home, and Dallas has countless avenues into the communications industry. I ultimately decided softball would end in four years, and I did not want to compromise getting a strong education here by prolonging the inevitable elsewhere. This is a decision I should not have had to make.

I realize there is no space on our main campus for fields, but take a look at our equestrian and rowing teams — has anybody see horses galloping down fraternity row or oars in the fountains lately? If lack of land is the reasoning, then it is unfounded. We could use nearby high school or community fields if we needed time to find land off campus, right? And I’m sorry, but I would really like to know where the $120,000-plus my parents will pay during my four years here will go. I definitely do not eat $2,000 worth of Umphrey Lee food each semester, and what are “general” student fees? That is an alias for a black hole if I ever heard one.

The DFW area is a hotbed for varsity, select, and tournament softball players. I would venture to say we are in the top two or three states in the country as far as participation in this sport. As a lifelong softball player, I was crestfallen to find out that SMU chose an equestrian team over baseball/softball a few years ago. This area has some of the most experienced, talented, and highly recruited players in the country, and those who insist on pursuing it in college will turn a blind eye to SMU.

I feel softball and baseball teams are a much-needed addition to our athletic repertoire, and both would be extremely successful because of the exceptional athletes and coaches at our disposal in the area. I am tired of explaining to former teammates why I cannot play softball in college, and as fun as intramurals are, anyone who has played a sport competitively knows what a letdown they can be. Each semester I meet more former select softball players on campus, and we almost overwhelmingly agree that we would drop every extracurricular we are in and suit up tomorrow if SMU made a team. The players are willing, and surely a local coach would jump at the opportunity to start such a popular sport at a school like SMU. I am tired of excuses for why it is impossible. Other universities with significantly less at their disposal than SMU still manage to have more sports — and stronger programs for them at that.

It is possible, and for whatever my plea matters, I hope someone in authority will take this request very seriously. Perhaps some money can be reallocated from other sports. Could we ask alumni or local donors for contributions? How about a bake sale?

I will be the first one going door-to-door, selling Jell-O or whatever people do these days, if it means we can lace up our cleats again and pummel some softballs for SMU.

Kara Maiella is a sophomore corporate communications & public affairs and psychology major. She may be reached at kmaiella@smu.edu.

Should we have baseball and softball? Of course, but I just don't see it in the cards right now. If anything, we should bring back men's track, build up bball facilities, and THEN see about adding more sports.

Also, I don't really understand the argument "SMU needs a ____ team, then people like me could play!" Did you get offers from other D1 schools? What makes you think if SMU added that team that you'd be on it, wouldn't we recruit high schoolers, not from the dorms? I had a roommate who INSISTED SMU should start baseball solely because "there are so many baseball players on campus, like me." Right, and if UTA brings back football, then a lot of their students would be on the team...

Present an argument for SMU starting a softball or baseball team, but don't use "because I miss playing" as a valid reason for the athletic dept to dump millions into a new program.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Return to Other Sports