PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU 1 Central Florida 0 thoughts

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU 1 Central Florida 0 thoughts

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:55 pm

1. SMU was clearly the better team in all areas of the game. We had numerous close scoring opportunities while UCF was only threatening on a couple of occasions. If we were more thoughtful and creative with our passing, this team would be very dangerous. A lot of mindless passes kept UCF in the game.

2. Defense, Defense. Defense- Schellas has Daniel Lopez and Mynor Gonzales (both true mid fielders) playing the outside backs with Needhan and Mirsky playing in the middle. This has shored up a defense that was rather porus the beginning of the season. Lopez and Mirsky, both freshman played the entire game as did Gonzales. This defense is very good. I believe that Daniel Lopez (DMN player of the year last year) is probably the best SMU player. He will be a star if he stays around and probably the future center midfielder. He plays with tremendous maturity , skill and class.

3. I have complained before that we need a true goal scorer. This is where the loss of Alex Smith really hurt. Freshman Paulo Da Silva who scored the winning goal looks like he could be a player. Schellas needs to find a way to keep him on the field as he played only about a half total.

4. All in all I see a team with great potential for the future especially if Schellas can add a few key pieces. The Dallas Texan freshman recruits, Harwell, Lopez, Guarda, Mirsky, da Silva and Oliva are all quality players who are playing a lot for this team which bodes well for the future.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:09 pm

If the SMU soccer team (currently with a 5 game winning streak) peaks and maintains that level of play during and after the CUSA Tournament in November does it have the talent, depth and maturity this season to advance deep into the NCAA tournament?

How is fan attendance at Westcott Field?
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:49 pm

attendance appears to be down a little from the last couple years. They've been drawing more like 4-500 per game compared to 7-800 the past couple years. Would be nice to see some major facility upgrades. The product on the field is worth the price. I'm looking forward to catching the team when they come to SC in a couple of weeks
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU 1 Central Florida 0 thoughts

Postby PonyPride » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:09 am

mustangbill67 wrote: .... 2. Defense, Defense. Defense- Schellas has Daniel Lopez and Mynor Gonzales (both true mid fielders) playing the outside backs with Needhan and Mirsky playing in the middle. This has shored up a defense that was rather porus the beginning of the season. Lopez and Mirsky, both freshman played the entire game as did Gonzales. This defense is very good. I believe that Daniel Lopez (DMN player of the year last year) is probably the best SMU player. He will be a star if he stays around and probably the future center midfielder. He plays with tremendous maturity , skill and class.
I need to see more of Lopez -- he's good, but he hasn't blown me away just yet. Mynor Gonzalez is a true midfielder? Wasn't he a defender on the Guatemalan National Team? The thing about him is that he always looks like he just rolled out of bed. He looks absolutely disinterested in what's taking place on the field, and ne never looks like he's running that hard. But he's nearly flawless in the back. He never makes a silly turnover, he never gets faked out, and he never allows his man to get goal-side position on him. And he's also extraordinary serving the ball on set pieces. Needham is an absolute rock, the anchor of the defense. He's sort of like Gonzalez in the fact that he's not flashy, but he's remarkably consistent, and he's bigger and faster. In addition to his free kicks, which are terrific, he also can go forward as a target on corners. He's a stud. And Mirsky has been a really pleasant surprise -- he's a big body, very strong. He has an occasional breakdown, but he's got good speed, and he's exceptionally accurate when heading the ball.

mustangbill67 wrote: .... 3. I have complained before that we need a true goal scorer. This is where the loss of Alex Smith really hurt. Freshman Paulo Da Silva who scored the winning goal looks like he could be a player. Schellas needs to find a way to keep him on the field as he played only about a half total.
I agree, I think da Silva seems to have a ton of potential. I like Duke Hashimoto, but I wish he was six inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. He's tough as nails, and doesn't get knocked around nearly as much as you'd think a guy his size would, and he has a knack for last-second goals. But he's not much of a target on set pieces because of his size. He's more of a slasher -- and a good one -- than he is a pure striker. I'd think that would have to be priority No. 1 in recruiting: a pure scorer.

mustangbill67 wrote: .... 4. All in all I see a team with great potential for the future especially if Schellas can add a few key pieces. The Dallas Texan freshman recruits, Harwell, Lopez, Guarda, Mirsky, da Silva and Oliva are all quality players who are playing a lot for this team which bodes well for the future.
Glad you mentioned Harwell. When I first saw him, I wasn't too sure about his attitude -- he plays like a guy who you'd like on your team, but he's also the kind of guy whose aggressive style might make you want to hit in the mouth if you had to play against him. But as tough and aggressive as he is, he's also equally talented. He still has to learn some before he absorbs everything Coach Hyndman wants him to do, I think, but he's the kind of guy that will make big, game-deciding plays before he's through. I didn't like him at first, but now I'm a true Harwell fan.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports