PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's soccer climbs to No. 9

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's soccer climbs to No. 9

Postby Webmaster » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:05 pm

From the SMU athletic department:

Men's soccer moves up to ninth in NSCAA/adidas poll
SMU at ECU, South Carolina for final two regular-season games

Oct. 25, 2005

DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU men's soccer team moved up to the ninth spot on this week's NSCAA/adidas national poll released Tuesday by the organization. SMU, owners of a seven-game winning streak, improved to 9-4-2 on the year and remain unbeaten in Conference USA play (7-0) with a come-from-behind 3-2 victory at Tulsa last Friday before a packed house and a national television viewing audience.

In other national polls released this week, SMU is 15th in the Soccer Times.com poll, 24th in the Soccer America.com poll, and 16th in the College Soccer News.com poll.

The Mustangs are looking to capture their eighth (consecutive) regular-season conference title this weekend with two road games beginning Friday at East Carolina and Sunday afternoon at South Carolina. SMU won regular-season conference titles in 1997, 1998, and 1999 as a member of the Western Athletic Conference. While an affiliate member of the Missouri Valley Conference, SMU won the regular-season championship in 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2004.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:52 pm

It appears we are gaining experience and success at the right time. Perhaps this post season the Ponies will continue to win!

Go get 'em Mustangs!
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Otto » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:16 pm

I've been to a bunch of games this year, and the team that's running out there now doesn't even resemble the early-season version. Mynor Gonzalez and Jay Needham are studs in the back, and I've been really impressed with freshman Ryan Mirsky back there.

MF David Chun remains an absolute stud. He seems to spend half the game on his back, as opponents keep knocking the hell out of him, but he gets back up and comes back for more. Kellan Zindel's last home game was his best of the year -- by far, in my opinion.

I'm a little concerned about the goalkeeping. Steve Sandbo is hurt, and Matt Wideman seems talented, but lacks experience (and he's not as big as Sandbo). This, to me, is the key down the stretch.

Congratulations on the ranking, Ponies -- give 'em hell!
Otto
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:49 pm

We still need someone to step up and be a consistent scorer. Although I do not want to be perceived as negative (which i am definitely not), my observation is that our more offensive minded players tend to hold (and lose) the ball too long in the bottom third of the field. We need more vision and creativity that may come from experience.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyFan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:17 am

I don't know the statistics for the year, but in the games I've seen, it seems like our best scoring threats are Duke Hashimoto and .... Jay Needham, who is a defender. What's the chance he could be moved up to the midfield for his final season at SMU next year?
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:55 pm

Not likely. He's an extraordinary defender, and messing with that would be a mistake.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 pm

I still believe our best long term scoring prospect is paulo da silva. Everytime I have seen him, he looks dangerous around the goal. I guess time will tell. I saw somewhere that Schellas already has a 2006 commitment from a top notch defender out of the national soccer academy in Florida. I will try to find more info.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Higher Authority » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:39 pm

Definitely find out what you can!
And PLEASE tell us he's signing a striker or two -- big, pure goal scorers.
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby indianmustang » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:59 am

we can clinch conference title today if we win
indianmustang

Postby EastStang » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:58 am

Let's bury ECU tonight. Although clinching the regular season title, may not mean much to us. We are now playing for seeding in the NCAA tournament which means no slipping up against anyone. Let's run through this weekend and the CUSA tourney like crap through a goose.
EastStang

Postby indianmustang » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:23 am

lets take one by one title at a time
indianmustang

Postby indianmustang » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:51 pm

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

SMU clinched the Conference USA men's soccer regular-season title with a 7-0 win over East Carolina on Friday in Greenville, N.C. The Mustangs (10-4-2, 8-0), on an eight-game winning streak, have earned a conference regular-season title five of the last six seasons.

Five players scored, including seniors Kellan Zindel and Duke Hashimoto with two goals each.

The Mustangs will host the C-USA tournament Nov. 9-13
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:37 pm

well, we didn't look like a top 10 program today in Columbia. Got whipped pretty badly (3-0) by a bigger, more physical USC team. I sat w/Jay Needham's parents and younger sister who assured me this looked like a "letdown" game after having clinched the CUSA title Friday. I hope so, because we had very few (good) shots on goal today and it seemed like USC was beating us to every contested ball.
Charleston Pony

Postby giacfsp » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:18 pm

I expect the goal today was to avoid injury, and little else. I did notice that a bunch of reserves got a lot of minutes. The blowouts at the beginning of the year were concerning, but this is a different team now. This had to be a major letdown game, and as long as nobody got hurt, the outcome means little. If we win the C-USA tournament, or even make the finals, I expect we'll host an NCAA playoff game or two.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:13 pm

After losing in the 1st round of the tourney, are they guaranteed a bid??
Pony_Fan

Next

Return to Other Sports