PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Looks like women are out of CUSA tourney

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Looks like women are out of CUSA tourney

Postby MustangSally » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Watching the gametracker thing, the women's soccer team, seeded 2nd, just lost 1-0 to ECU.

What I hate is this stupid rule where if it's in overtime for so long, that it goes to a single person shootout for the win. I think that is totally cheap because it takes the "whole team" aspect out of the game and goes back to raw talent of a single player. Maybe I'm just bitter because we've lost at least a few NCAA tourney games from this rule (i think to aTm two years in a row).
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby peaker » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:15 am

I do not see them getting in however stranger things have happened with the NCAA's Tournament selection committee. A first round exit in the conference tournament does not bode well for a team that plays in a perceived weaker conference. Plus a 5-0 loss to Cal, a home loss to UNT and a home loss to Rice do not favorably distinguish the resume.

The Big 12 & SEC will get about 6 teams per conference into the tournament based on reputation, yet their 5-6 teams are equal or lower caliber of the top teams in Conference USA. We had the same issues when we played in the WAC and they will not change until the Conference USA starts showing better against quality out of conference opponents.

Everbody cross their fingers.
peaker
Recruit

Postby PonyPride » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:59 pm

Thanks, peaker. I had just about gotten past the UNT/Rice trainwrecks.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:37 pm

mustangs in NCAA tournament
indianmustang

Postby indianmustang » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:37 pm

they face NORTH TEXAS
indianmustang

Postby peaker » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:41 am

Amtrak is up and running. What an opportunity to avenge an earlier loss!

I have released my crossed fingers and started to scratch my head on this one.

Rice beats SMU during the season, wins the conference tournament in convincing fashion, only to earn the opportunity to play Cal in the opening round. Meanwhile UTEP loses to Rice in the finals and is rewarded by getting to play Texas who did not have a typical Texas year (watchout for the picks). Our fair haired girls draw North Texas in the opening round. Not to slight the UNT faithful but the last four SMU teams, arguably better than this year's version, earned first round games against Texas, Texas, Texas A&M, & West Virginia, all ranked teams at the time of the game.

Conference USA gets three teams in the tourney, all from the western division.

Good luck to all the teams, but more luck to SMU. Beat unt and beat tamu.
peaker
Recruit

Return to Other Sports