PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Men Beat San Francisco to Advance in the NCAA

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Men Beat San Francisco to Advance in the NCAA

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:37 am

SMU beat San Francisco 2-1 to advance to the NCAA second round against UCLA Sunday in LA. SMU totally dominated the game with SF scoring a garbage goal with 3 seconds left. Both SMU goals came in the first half with SMU playing creative, beautiful soccer. Two freshman, Bruno Guarda and Paulo De Silva scored the goals. As opposed to the right sided , ineffective game against Tulsa in the CUSA tournament, the Ponies used the entire field and were exciting to watch. The Ponies were much too quick and skillful for the lumbering Dons that had a few fast players but no skill.

The second half deteriorated into a kick ball match, although the Ponies did have several missed chances. The first half gave a small glimpse into what this young team has the potential to be in years to come if they can stay together, add a few more quality players and play a consistent brand of highly quality soccer. A very enjoyable evening with a fairly good crowd including some students.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:33 am

Corrections. Although the game announcer indicated that Guarda scored the first goal for SMU, it was actually scored by De Silva with an assist by Guarda. De Silva had both goals and as I said several weeks ago, he could evolve into the pure goal scorer that SMU needs.

The second round game against UCLA will be Tuesday in LA not Sunday.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:21 am

mustangbill67 wrote:Corrections. Although the game announcer indicated that Guarda scored the first goal for SMU, it was actually scored by De Silva with an assist by Guarda....
Not that it matters now, but .... no I didn't. It was something like "SMU goal, scored by No. 13, Paulo da Silva .... (pause to verify assist) .... Assist to No. 8, Bruno Guarda." Maybe the cheers were too loud, or the P.A. wasn't loud enough?
I can't believe you'd throw me under the bus like that! :wink:
If (I mean WHEN) we upset UCLA, there's a chance we could host again, depending on which other teams win and lose. I'll make sure we crank the P.A. up a little louder next time! (Got to make sure everyone in Highland Park can hear it, right?)
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:59 am

I guess with the cap over my head I missed the first part of the announcement. Sorry! :D I was also sitting in front of two very loud USF fans (probably parents) whose cries of anguish at the first goal drowned everything out. Also noted that I misspelled Da Silva's name (should not compose late at night). Now that I know you are the announcer, I know where to go to get accurate information. I may be getting too old to be a reliable reporter but I do feel passionate about ;the beauty of the game of soccer when it is played well. SMU does have potential.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:36 pm

PonyPride has his fingers into a lot of SMU things. He is the announcer for the soccer games, he provides the stats for the radio guys during the game for home games and he writes all the great PonyFans.com articles you will find on the home page. He is definitely a good source for accurate information.
PK

Postby PonyPride » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:50 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:I guess with the cap over my head I missed the first part of the announcement. Sorry! :D I was also sitting in front of two very loud USF fans (probably parents) whose cries of anguish at the first goal drowned everything out. Also noted that I misspelled Da Silva's name (should not compose late at night). Now that I know you are the announcer, I know where to go to get accurate information. I may be getting too old to be a reliable reporter but I do feel passionate about ;the beauty of the game of soccer when it is played well. SMU does have potential.
No sweat -- I was just picking on you.
If by chance we do get to host another game, come up (before the game or at halftime) and say hello. And I agree with you, the youngsters have been very impressive in the latter part of the season. Here's hoping for an upset of UCLA!
PonyPride

Postby PonyPride » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:52 pm

PK wrote:PonyPride has his fingers into a lot of SMU things. He is the announcer for the soccer games, he provides the stats for the radio guys during the game for home games and he writes all the great PonyFans.com articles you will find on the home page. He is definitely a good source for accurate information.
You're too kind, PK -- I do what I can. But you should be my publicist!
Where the hell were you when I was between jobs? :wink:
PonyPride

Return to Other Sports