PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Casey Hibbs, New Soccer Commit

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Casey Hibbs, New Soccer Commit

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:30 pm

Casey Hibbs, a MF from Brenham, Texas is the Ponies 3rd commit. He plays club soccer for the Texas SC out of Houston. This club is one of the tops in the country. It looks like many of the Dallas area stars are commiting to major programs outside Texas so Schellas is mining the Austin and Houston areas for top players.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Corso » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:39 pm

He also has nearly limitless connections in South Florida. I'm not worried at all about his ability to attract top players.
Looks like he saw a little something in Guarda and da Silva and Mirsky (among others).
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:45 pm

Yes, but all those guys came out of the Dallas Texan program. This years crop of Texan top players are going elsewhere. I really hated to see Omar Gonzales a Dallas Texan and in the MLS residency program in Florida commit to Maryland along with Justin Kendro of the DFW Tejanos. North Carolina also got two top Dallas area player commits and New Mexico, Virginia and Santa Clara got several more. I am sure we wil have a super class but I like the idea of having a lot of Dallas area super star players. It is good for the overall athletic program. If only FB and BB could recruit the quality of player we have in the soccer program.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ikus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:34 am

I look at this the way I look at football recruiting. A few years ago, the men were led by Diego Walsh (Florida), Luchi Gonzalez (Florida), Carl Bussey (Plano), Byron Foss (California) and Mishu Fahim (Egypt). That team reached the Final Four. Sure, it's nice to have local kids, but if Coach Hyndman (or Coach Bennett or Coach Tubbs or Coach Selders or Coach Sinnott or .... you get the idea) wants to load up on a class full of players from Delaware, that's fine, as long as they make the Mustangs a better team.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby peaker » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:17 pm

Did anyone ever stop to think this year's local talent knows what SMU recruited last year and as a result are going elsewhere for the opportunity. Not that the programs listed are slouches, just a different opportunity for a more immediate impact.

If I was a player with professional aspirations I would place my future in SMU's track record of turning out professional grade players, even as undergraduates.
peaker
Recruit

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:36 pm

I do not know. All those teams are loaded as well and with SMU's returning talent, a shot at a national championship for the next several years is almost guaranteed. Soccer is no different than FB and BB. Players like to get away from home. If we could get the top Dallas area players each year, we would always have a final four team.

That being said, we do not know where Schellas is recruiting this year to fill in the holes and get quality depth. Could be the US Soccer residency program although many of these kids are going pro or it could be other areas of the US or foreign players. Still many quality recruits out there who have not committed.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports