PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Home from a glorious afternoon in Chapel Hill!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Home from a glorious afternoon in Chapel Hill!

Postby carolina stang » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:20 pm

It was a proud day to be a pony fan. On a chilly overcast day in Chapel Hill, the Mustangs put away the Tar Holes in Double OT. Mustang nation you would be proud at how loud the SMU contingent was. Approximately 6-7 SMU player families came as well as No Cal and his son and my son and me. My friend from last week, the former SMU soccer player came down from Roanoke with his daughters. Believe it or not, WE WERE LOUDER THAN THE NC FANS who were surprisingly sedate. No Cal said the NC crowd was probably down since everyone was watching UNC-Kentucky basketball on TV. Still we were certainly outnumbered, yet made more noise. Two of the Moms kept a steady chant of S-M-U and we all chimed in. At the end we all raced down to the bottom of the stands to exchange hugs and high fives with the players. They then assembled together and we all sang VARSITY. I tell you, it was one of my proudest moments as an SMU alum.

GO PONIES!!ALL THE WAY TO A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!
carolina stang
Varsity

Postby MustangSally » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:19 pm

Awesome, wish I could have been there.

This week, I will seriously be checking out plane tickets to NC. I'd love to be there and cheer on our Mustangs.

Just curious, where is Cary, I thought NC State was in Raleigh? Is there soccer stadium in a nearby city or something?
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby indianmustang » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:25 pm

they are 2o min from each other
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:30 pm

how many stang fans were there?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby carolina stang » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:15 pm

Counting all the parents, No Cal and myself and our boys and our friend from Virginia and his daughters, I would say 15 to 18 tops unless there were others we didn't see. (Highly doubtful there were others-we all found each other!)

I saw Copeland from a distance down on the field after the game. He was hugging Coach Hyndman.
carolina stang
Varsity

Postby carolina stang » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:21 pm

By the way, Cary is very close to the Raleigh Durham airport. Anyone coming to the game next Friday by air can find many nice hotels right there at the airport. I've stayed at the Marriott in the area before.

The game according to the brackets on the NCAA site says the game will either be at 4 or 6:30 p'm. eastern this coming Friday, the 9th.
carolina stang
Varsity

Postby No Cal Pony » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:58 pm

As Carolina Stang mentioned, it was one of the great moments of my SMU life. So sweet to beat nc at their home field. Anyone who thought they might've come to the game only to miss it. missed one fine performance. I feel that if this team shows up in NC next week, the championship is ours to lose. I was very impressed by the play. The team got beat at moments, but made a very strong tar head team look weak. Again, for those not paying attention, SMU beat unc AT HOME. As carolina noted, i was moved as those of us in attendance sang "Varsity." A very proud moment for SMU Soccer, and SMU overall.

After the game I also made sure to thank the parents, in particular, Jay Needham's dad. Jay played OUTSTANDING. He made a huge impact on the game. Everyone played well, but Jay's d on Hunter and Ashe were magnificent. He even took a very intentional kick to the groin by Hunter. (Hunter should've been given a red card IMHO.) It was a wonderful day. Great to see carolina in attendance, and meet some other alumni in the area. East, sorry to not have seen you. You missed one heck of a performance. WAY TO GO PONIES!!!

As carolina mentioned, Copeland was there. Part of me wanted to go out and smack the guy. But I was to giddy to think such bad thoughts for long. To every parent of the boys on our team, glad to see you. We WERE louder than all those tar holes. You should be proud of your sons, which of course, I know you are. But you should also know we are so proud of them too. I think my son wants to grow up to play socder for SMU now!!!

Any recuit leaving the DFW area for unc, think about that again. My lord.

GO PONIES!!!!!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Webmaster » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:13 pm

The Ponies were only the second road team to win in Chapel Hill all year -- no small feat, indeed.

Congratulations!
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:19 am

Great job!! Man I really REALLY am thinking about going out to the National Title game if we get there. How fun that would be. Or atleast get like a watching party in Dallas going to cheer them on from home.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:43 pm

c-stang,

so glad you and the other hangers-on were there for the vic. sorry i missed your call.

oh we see the varsity...OVER THERE!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby EastStang » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:52 pm

I'm definitely there on Friday. Couldn't get anyone to go to the UNC game and it had to be a one day up and down trip and 10 hours was just too much. Once I have my ticket to the game locked down, no excuses, I'll be there. Anyone for a round in Pinehurst on Saturday?
EastStang

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:14 pm

NoCal...why did you have to soil an otherwise positive / decent post with your MrMustang7635-like "smack Copeland" reference?? Can't we EVER simply enjoy our success (limited as it seems..), why do we constantly "[deleted] in our nests"? Congrats to the men's team...well done. Long Live Jet Leonard.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

good point

Postby Eddie P » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:03 pm

you know, i was about to ask the same question: Why the [deleted] comment about Copeland. Man, the only thing I continue to learn about the INTERNET is that it's really easy to talk [deleted] about someone. WOW! If Copeland wasn't there, some [deleted] would say: "Copeland doesn't support all the sports" or some stupid [deleted] comment such as this. But no, the man flies to NC and supports our team and he gets criticized. Hey No Cal Pony; you are obviously one of the few and far between fans and lord knows we need more of you. That being said, forgive me for lashing out on what I really feel are petty, silly, non-productive and midget-minded comments about Copeland. If you have a beef, then why don't you voice them to him. He's not hard to find at any sporting event...or yell at me...I'm also not hard to find... look for the dark skinned short stocky guy yelling at "previously mentioned" sporting events. I assure you I will be pleased to engage you in discourse.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby No Cal Pony » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:23 am

Eddie and Hix, you two need to relax. I think that I earn the right to make any comment I would like. Hence, why I didn't delve into the whole issue I have with Copeland. By the way Eddie. I have written. I have made my voice heard, for what it is worth. But I am not going to let the anger I have over the state of SMU athletics have ruined a great, GREAT day. Were you there? So stop your bellyachin', you two sound far more lame than I. Have you nothing better to do than to try to call someone out, someone you don't even know, Someone who has tried to do as much as they can for their alma mater? And hix, I did just enjoy the moment. I just let my anger at copeland go. It was a moment to celebrate the efforts of one heck of a SMU club! I was horse after from yelling. Did you come out for the game? I don't remember seeing you there.

And did I criticize the man for being there? NO. In fact I was glad to see it, even though I fully expect our AD to be at such an event. Meanwhile carolina and I were high fivin' the boys and their parents. Congrats to Coach Hyndman. I realize he can go on without any validation from me, but the boys seemed pretty high that other people came out to root them on. And when THEY got us started on Varsity, I just about lost it. I think that maryland will be tough, but I also feel this is a chance for a championship. As I said, I feel it is theirs to lose. The team has grit and heart as big as anything.

I think the only people worked up about my copeland comment are you two. Maybe you just need to relax and have a nice, tasty beer. That's what I did after the game. Also, I'm a bit bummed and p.o.'ed that we have the 4pm time. That means 'Ill have to miss the match, but I will be there Sunday. Watch out maryland , here come the Mustangs!! By the way,

GO PONIES!!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:32 am

It has nothing to do with being at the game or not.....is that your retort? That is lame.......Like MrMustang6176, who was going to to get in the face of the President of the University and or give "Copeland" a piece of his mind, you felt compeled to "smack" the AD....glad I wasn't at the game, would had been embarASSing.....I guess the real issue / problem is, folks like you and MrMustang72153 think it is cool / acceptable / board worthy / a really neat rant to make these type of statements / comments..and btw, I am cool and calm..are you? Long Live Randy Phillips.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Next

Return to Other Sports