PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN Article

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN Article

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:26 am

Nice article on the soccer program which is the most successful at SMU consistently, year in and year out.

Anyone know what the plans are at Westcott field? SMU needs to "ponyup" and keep it one of the top progams in the country. The soccer facilities need an upgrade desperately.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby giacfsp » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:18 pm

My understanding is that money is being raised as we speak. I would think a national championship would go a long way toward convincing the got-rocks donors to Pony Up.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:13 pm

I agree that we need to upgrade Westcott in some way, but....has Westcott hurt us to date? Seems we have an elite program with Westcott....I am sure athletic $$$$ need to be funneled elsewhere right now? Long Live Drew Pittmen
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby No Cal Pony » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:05 pm

It is true that monies could be spent in many ways, but our soccer program deserves better. We might not be hurting, but imagine what Hyndman could do with a tool like an upgraded Wescott.

Then again, our swim teams deserve better that Perkins too. Better get those big wallets open.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:14 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:I agree that we need to upgrade Westcott in some way, but....has Westcott hurt us to date? Seems we have an elite program with Westcott....I am sure athletic $$$$ need to be funneled elsewhere right now? Long Live Drew Pittmen

It would take several years to get something built so it's time to start now.

And yes, Perkins and Moody need desperate help as well while all these enormous building go up all over campus every 6 months from the $$$$$ endowment fund.
Pony_Fan

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:31 pm

I posted this on the football page so the soccer bashers and the disinterested would understand what the soccer program does for the football program. Looks llike the only readers of the post are the soccer fans. As a former football player and still avid fan especially of Pony ball, I cannot understand what some of our football fans have against soccer. It is truly one of the most physically demanding games as well as wonderful to watch once you understand the tactics and skill required to play at a high level.

My post:

For those of you who doubt the effect our men's soccer program has on SMU athletics overall, please read the DMS Calvin Watkins piece posted on the ponyfans homepage.

"The model for success within the SMU athletic department starts and ends with men's soccer. No other team sport is as competitive or held in such high regard nationally."
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:25 pm

Gee I missed the bashing that you were referring to. :?
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:58 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:Gee I missed the bashing that you were referring to. :?

This is not worth arguing about but it is there on the "football" page going way back.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports