PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

vs Maryland Game Thread

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby SmooPower » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:31 pm

THE COMEBACK HAS BEGUN
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:34 pm

would have to be one of the greatest comebacks ever
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SmooPower » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:36 pm

it's possible
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:38 pm

Schellas needs to recruit some larger bodies if possible. I realize they are freshman, but they are little.
Pony_Fan

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:57 pm

Well it was a good season and we have almost everyone coming back. Still hurts that we couldn't even get to the National Championship though.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:12 pm

FINAL
Maryland: 4
SMU: 1

Great job Mustangs. You played your hearts out all season long. We're certainly proud of you!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby jkflamebo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:03 pm

very very hard to watch the entire game of this one. it really seemed like today smu was playin in white against some inferior opponent. i went to nearly every home game and saw what this team is capable of. i really had no idea this years team can go this far this year, i woulda expected this run next year or so. regardless, i think smu will have a sensational year next year more than ever. we had a great season and lets leave it at that with this young team. by the way, apparently jeff harwell quit the team some time ago and does anyone know if alex smith is eligible to come back next year and play alongside paulo?
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:39 pm

Well we got beat by a mature, highly skilled, physical,well disciplined team. We will get better but it is a long and hard road to the College Cup. As Schellas has said this team plays well together but it is not his best team tallent wise. We have some holes to fill and while we have many small fast skilled players, we need to recruit some linebacker size fast skilled players. They are out there but all the top programs are after them. Does anyone know why Jeff Harwell quit the team. He was a very promising freshman?
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby that's great raplh » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:30 pm

good job kids
that's great raplh

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:56 pm

As I said, earlier, great run. We need some big bodies to beat teams like Maryland. We were out muscled all day. Not for lack of heart, but size.
EastStang

Postby PonyPride » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:11 pm

One hell of a run by our guys this year. And you're right, they're not a huge team, but they're plenty big enough. You look at Needham and Mirsky and Gonzalez in the back -- they're fine. Yes, we could use a bigger scorer up front, but with enough speed, small guys can be effective, too (see Duke Hashimoto, Luchi Gonzalez, etc.)

I've watched this team for nearly 20 years, and I think this is Coach Hyndman's best coaching job since I've been around Mustang soccer. The way he rallied the troops after the slow start was simply incredible. Congratulations, Coach Hyndman, and congratulations, Mustangs, on a fantastic year.

And seniors David Chun, Duke Hashimoto, Michael Uremovich and Kellan Zindel: thank you!
PonyPride

Postby No Cal Pony » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:26 pm

I agree with you Pony Pride. Your points are right on. Cheers to the whole club.

Also, to those who didn't hear. World Cup draw was announced today. Estimated viewing audience for the event was 230 million. That's right, 230 million people watched the draw. (Which is sort of like watching a lottery event.)

USA is ranked #8 in the world.

Let's see some Ponies on the team!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:32 pm

This has been a pretty remarkable senior class. A lot of talk on here about needing bigger players - Uremovich is the only one in the group with any height, but these are four of the toughest players I've ever seen. They are amazingly resilient - they got beaten on all year long, and they kept on coming back. Here's hoping we can find four more just like them.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:05 am

time to hit the weight room boys!
ALEX LIFESON

Previous

Return to Other Sports