PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Candice Davis - Future Mustang Volleyballer

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Candice Davis - Future Mustang Volleyballer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:09 pm

LEAGUE CITY — Marcus Davis knew his daughter had potential to make an impact on the volleyball court even before arriving at Clear Creek High School.

Now a senior who’s completed her career with the Wildcats, Candice Davis is The Daily News’ 2005 All-County Player of the Year after leading a talented Creek squad to the Region III-5A finals. It’s another honor for an accomplished high school athlete who is also a four-year track letterman.

“Even when she was starting to play club volleyball in the seventh grade, I knew she was very athletic,” Marcus Davis said of his daughter. “She’s always been a good jumper. I just told her to keep her grades up, and that she’ll be really become competitive.

Now Candice’s next leap is to Southern Methodist University, where she will play volleyball on a full scholarship — thanks partly to jumping high and partly to keeping those grades at the same height.

Davis has big plans in Dallas, where she wants to play — and dominate — immediately.

“I want to be the national freshman of the year,” Davis said. “That’s my goal for next year. Of course, there’s always competition (for playing time), but there’s a good opportunity for me to play right away.”

The 5-7 middle blocker’s vertical jump helped negate the difference in size across the net, as Davis routinely encountered blockers up to six inches taller.

“Candice plays bigger than she is,” Clear Creek head coach Scott Simonds said. “We’ve often seen her hitting balls off of and sometimes over players that were as tall as 6-2.”

For Davis, it’s not how big you are, but how big you play. She makes hitting through or over some of the Greater Houston area’s best shot blockers sound routine.

“You have to see the court, use your vertical and just be smart,” Davis said. “You have to play the game smart. Size doesn’t matter if you know the game. I don’t like to think of myself as short.”

Simonds, who was named The Daily News’ Coach of the Year, doesn’t see her development as a player slowing. Davis presented a worthwhile project for his program when she broke onto the team as a freshman in 2002.

“Candice came to us as a freshman as very athletic, but pretty raw,” Simonds said. “She could hit the ball pretty hard, but it often didn’t go in and her passing was still very erratic at that point. She worked very hard to get where she is today, and I think the results speak for themselves.

“I expect her to continue to improve when she gets to SMU, and I think she is going to be a force in Conference USA.”

Davis will see her final high school action in the Texas Girls Coaches Association All-Star Game in July, on the home court of a traditional SMU rival, Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, capping a year full of accomplishments.

“She was given leadership awards, the team MVP award, first-team All-District (and now) All-Galveston County MVP,” Marcus Davis said. “She was even the homecoming queen. She’s having a fantastic year, and I’m really proud of her.”

Deer Park stopped Simonds short of leading Clear Creek to the state championship tournament for the first time since 1995. But the Wildcats battled their way through numerous tightly contested matches going to five games — and Creek won the majority of those matches. The Wildcats held off Clear Brook three times in five-game matches, including a come from behind victory in the regional quarterfinals.

Davis was part of a hard-hitting core of Wildcats that included fellow All-County honorees Shamira Washington, Sommer Ivory and Lauryn Douglas.

It was the longest postseason run at Creek during Davis’ career, and the Wildcats’ surge through the regional playoff bracket was a fitting end for the future corporate communications major.

“To get the opportunity to get so far my senior year, with the class of girls I’ve played with for such a long time, it meant a lot for us,” Davis said. “It’s been a fun season.”

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewc ... 881dfec80e
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SmooPower » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:49 pm

I went to Clear Lake, Creek's rival.
SmooPower
Heisman

Return to Other Sports