PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Two SMU Soccer Commits Named All American

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Two SMU Soccer Commits Named All American

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:44 pm

SMU soccer commits GK Craig Hill and MF Casey Hibbs, both south texas products, have been named to the 2005 NSCAA/adidas Boys High School All-America Team. The other SMU commit, Leone Cruz is an Under 18 national team player. Very interested in who else Schellas will bring in to complement a final four team that returns most of its starters.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:02 pm

Weren't you telling us how much of an uphill climb recruiting was for us? Looks like we are doing OK. :D
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:46 pm

What I am talking about is our ability to successfully recruit a class primarily from the top 40 players in the country year in and year out. These are the players who probably will have the opportunity to go pro at some point. We always get a few of these and we have had some top rated classes but we are not as consistent as some of the other top rated major programs. So far this year only Cruz fits in this top 40 category. These are players who are or have been in the US residency program (the pool for the Under 17 national team) or who have otherwise regularly played on the national level in the US or elsewhere. The two high school all americans are very good players but I do not believe they are considered top 40. Maybe I am unrealistic but I would like to see the Ponies not just be in the dance each year but to be a consistent final four contender.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:56 am

Name the teams in the last 10 years that have made multiple trips to the final four. By my research there were six of them. Indiana, Maryland, St. Johns, SMU, Stanford and UCLA. That's it. Maryland took four trips before it won. That's pretty heady company. In fact the only two teams with more than two trips in the past 10 years are Indiana and Maryland. So, we are in a pretty elite strata already. Where are the other top 40 going. All to one school or scattering to the winds. As I said earlier, improve the home game atmosphere at soccer games, and you'll pull in more recruits, its as simple as that. Ever been to a soccer game at Maryland or Indiana? They give new meaning to the term "home field advantage". Any wonder why they have an astounding record over the past decade and why recruits go to those schools. The Maryland-SMU game was an eye openner.
EastStang

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:13 am

Many of the top 40 go pro either here or abroad. Of the ones that go to college, it just seems to me that programs such as UCLA, Indiana and Maryland get more than their share of these top players. I agree that fan support, stadium, press coverage and tradition play a large part in this. We have a fantastic, high level national program we should all be proud of and we do compete for the top players. I would just like for us to get more of them on a consistent basis. Not only to make us a better team but also for the pleasure of watching them play. Of course, an unknown factor is how many scholarships or partial scholarships we have available in any given year and how many of these top players would qualify for other kinds of financial aid.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby that's great raplh » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:43 pm

i'd like to see a championship brot to SMU
that's great raplh

Postby smupony94 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:02 pm

Just another example of why we need to invest more into the soccer program
smupony94

Postby that's great raplh » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:05 pm

we need to invest in the track program
that's great raplh

Postby smupony94 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:29 pm

I was just playing on smumustangs.com and in the bottom corner I noticed a small link for the SMU Soccer Campaign. First I had heard of this.
smupony94

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:38 pm

that's great raplh wrote:we need to invest in the track program

hey gordon, isn't phish getting back together next halloween?
Pony_Fan

Postby smupony94 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:10 am

Pony_Fan wrote:
that's great raplh wrote:we need to invest in the track program

hey gordon, isn't phish getting back together next halloween?

Where did you hear that?
smupony94

Postby No Cal Pony » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:29 am

we are getting off the topic, but supposedly phish has set aside msg and the spectrum for shows over halloween timeframe.

quick, what member of phish was a student at SMU?

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:17 pm

No Cal Pony wrote:we are getting off the topic, but supposedly phish has set aside msg and the spectrum for shows over halloween timeframe.

quick, what member of phish was a student at SMU?

Go Ponies!

We need to have a PonyFans reunion at the show then
smupony94

Postby smupony94 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:50 pm

smupony94

Postby No Cal Pony » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:15 am

94, I'd be interested. Though I miss the earlier days. Just one bus and hanging out w/ Page and the rest. Best time was either at the Palace in Hollywood or the Arlington Theatre in Santa Barbara. Had some good times showing the guys around LA while they were recording Hoist.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Next

Return to Other Sports