PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

FC Dallas Scouting Report on SMU-Maryland

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

FC Dallas Scouting Report on SMU-Maryland

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:03 pm

In a MLS FC Dallas scouting report on the results of the SMU-Maryland game, the three top SMU players in the game were senior David Chun and freshman Paulo Da Silva and Daniel Lopez. The reviewer seemed most impressed with Lopez who I believe, as I have mentioned before, is our most complete player and probably our CMF of the future. He has been playing out of position at RB but even so has been a reliable, creative stopper in our defense. There is also some passing speculation in the review that Israel Jones might return next year. Jones, a top 2004 recruit, quit the team in mid season. I have not been able to find out why either Jones quit or Jeff Harwell left the team after 16 games. These are both high quality national players and it would be great if one or both did return next fall.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: FC Dallas Scouting Report on SMU-Maryland

Postby PonyPride » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:29 pm

mustangbill67 wrote: .... The reviewer seemed most impressed with Lopez who I believe, as I have mentioned before, is our most complete player and probably our CMF of the future....
You really think so? I know you've mentioned it before, but I just don't see it, for two reasons:

1. he's done a terrific job filling the enormous void left by the graduation of Ugo Ihemelu, and
2. there doesn't appear to be much of a chance of anyone unseating Bruno Guarda -- Coach Hyndman seems extremely impressed with him, and as we know, that's the vote that matters.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:11 pm

I do not think Lopez has to unseat Bruno. There is room for both in the mid field with Lopez playing more withdrawn. Of course the key is finding another stud right back. I just think we are limiting what Lopez can contribute by leaving him in the right back position.

Look at Claudio Reyna, captain of the U.S. National team and currently one of the best MF players in the English Premier league for Manchester City. Before moving to the Premier League he played for one of the top tier teams in Scotland that was loaded with international stars. Claudio was moved to right back because as a great MF player he brought an extra dimension to the RB position and the team was otherwise loaded with top MF players. He excelled at the RB position but as a player with unbelieveable vision, skill and composure, he was clearly playing out of position as his tenure at Man City and on the U. S. National Team has shown.

My support of Lopez is not by any means a criticism of Bruno. I believe they are both very creative, skilled, composed players that together could give us one of the best if not the best midfields in the country. But as you say that is Schellas's call.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports