PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why do we have a track?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why do we have a track?

Postby MustangSally » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:53 pm

Bear with me:
I noticed in the soccer enhancement thing that the drawings depict a renovated grandstand at Westcott, but still shows a track around the field. This got me thinking, why do we still have the track there? Since part of it was shortened to make room for Ford Stadium, we apparently can't host meets anymore. Does the team (womens obviously, I know the men are gone) still practice there? I've only really noticed that it's used by casual joggers and keeps the soccer fans a good 40 feet from the edge of the pitch.

Ultimately, I'd always thought that SMU should build an off-campus facility for the non-rev sports, mostly because we are so pressed for space. Imagine if we had a complex a few miles away with a world class track, natatorium, a volleyball gym, tons of practice fields, room for future baseball/softball fields, etc. Would cost a ton of money, I know, but would make on-campus land more available. We are now down to the IM field, the football practice field, Westcott Field, and Ford stadium in terms of open fields for athletic team practice. Not to mention that mens bball, womens bball, and volleyball all share a single court in Moody.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:41 pm

Glad you raised the question. The lack of intramural fields, including club sports like lacrosse, reminds us that we need more space that SMU can respond to with the current campus

Related to the options is whether SMU gets the Bush Library. As I understand it, University Garden apts, Mrs. Baird bakery and the land east of North Central on SMU Blvd., where the closed Cineplex is, gives us alternatives.

As for the track, I imagine Women's Track and Field requires it. Renovating Moody might provide practice courts, including a home for Women's Volleyball.

Most importanly, a new aquatic facility is still numero uno for me. We need it soon or watch our swimming and diving teams erode. Our facilities simply aren't adequate, much less competitive.
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports