PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Vanderbilt drops men's soccer

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Vanderbilt drops men's soccer

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:28 am

Vanderbilt has announced it is dropping men's soccer and adding a women's swimming team. Another title IX victim. Do not know if Vandy has any players SMU would be interested in. It has not been a strong soccer presence in DIV I.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Vanderbilt drops men's soccer

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:00 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:Vanderbilt has announced it is dropping men's soccer and adding a women's swimming team. Another title IX victim. Do not know if Vandy has any players SMU would be interested in. It has not been a strong soccer presence in DIV I.
They were pretty good a few years ago. They came to Westcott Field and gave the Ponies a heck of a battle. I won't miss their fans, though -- quite possibly the whiniest "we got robbed by the refs" bunch this side of the women's fans at UTEP and A&M.

Sad to see this happen, though. Vanderbilt was always a great place to play a great sport and get a great education.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby peaker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:17 pm

They must be whiny because it is usually the homeside at Westcott that is being robbed by the officiating.
peaker
Recruit

Postby MustangSally » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:12 am

If this trend continues, that's not good for us. While it makes us the big fish in the pond, the pond shrinks every time another school loses soccer. I'm worried soccer won't ever make a comeback at any of these schools because it's not marketable or as popular as baseball, football, or bball. As long as ACC, PAC10, and BIG10 schools keep fielding teams, that gives us name programs to beat up on! Go Mustangs!
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:41 pm

Vanderbilt was an SEC team that did not join CUSA for Men's soccer. So our only league casualty is ECU.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Does it seem odd to anyone else that BCS conferences can't afford to field men's soccer? I would think that with all the money they are raking in from being part of the BCS that they wouldn't have any problems funding whatever teams they wanted, including the additional women's teams so that they can add men's teams.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:03 pm

Vanderbilt while it is a BCS school is kind of in the same boat as SMU. High tuition costs eat up a ton of money and remember, they have several times come close to shutting down football. However, another reason some of these conferences like the Big XII are not making a move in Men's soccer is because they were not competitive with other small schools in their own state in soccer. The MVC and CUSA are quality soccer conferences filled with Mid-Major schools. However, the ACC clearly has the best teams followed by the PAC-10, CUSA, BE, MVC, and Big Ten. Except for Indiana, none of the Big Ten teams have shown much in soccer.
EastStang

Postby Dutch » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:21 pm

Damn Title IX. Damn girls' rights. how freaking rediculous this has been, and how horrible is the damage it has done to sports rather than propmoting it. Men's sports support girls' sports through money, fans, etc. and end up suffering all the while. 'gotta be equal' BS.

tune into a WNBA game, LPGA tourney, or, well, i can't think of another girls' professional sport off hand. the attendance speaks for itself. and come to think of it, the WNBA has been a money vacuum since it's formation only supported financially by the NBA shareholders (read:owners).

i guess women's tennis does okay - people watch them on TV (because they're hot - sort of defeatist to the girls' movement) and in europe (they don't count).
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:25 pm

Phil_Bennett's_Mustache wrote:Damn Title IX. Damn girls' rights. how freaking rediculous this has been, and how horrible is the damage it has done to sports rather than propmoting it. Men's sports support girls' sports through money, fans, etc. and end up suffering all the while. 'gotta be equal' BS.

tune into a WNBA game, LPGA tourney, or, well, i can't think of another girls' professional sport off hand. the attendance speaks for itself. and come to think of it, the WNBA has been a money vacuum since it's formation only supported financially by the NBA shareholders (read:owners).

i guess women's tennis does okay - people watch them on TV (because they're hot - sort of defeatist to the girls' movement) and in europe (they don't count).
Well, you obviously missed the PC boat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PK

Postby Dutch » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:32 pm

when did the boat leave for Port Charles?
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports