PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why no Equestrian talk?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why no Equestrian talk?

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:24 pm

I don't know about you but I am really looking forward to the big weekend against Oklahoma State in Stillwater on Feb. 4-5.

I think our team will do much better in a Western show than an English show. I think the Western disciplines match our skills much better.

I'm looking for a huge weekend out of Antonia Stubbe.

What do you think?
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Why no Equestrian talk?

Postby Corso » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:50 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote: .... I think our team will do much better in a Western show than an English show. I think the Western disciplines match our skills much better....
Wow - how'd you learn so much about euestrian? My sister-in-law has tried to educate me, and I really don't get it.

Why are the SMU team's skills better-suited to Western than English? Teach me something so I can dazzle 'em over the dinner table next time I'm over there.

Seriously .... what does our team do that makes 'em better-suited for a Western show? This will get me some major brownie points with the sister-in-law (and will make my brother look really bad if I can talk equestrian more than he can).

Thanks, DanFFH
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:05 pm

Well, they are different disciplines and basically it comes down to the saddle position and the riding style.

Collegiate athletics gives riders the best opportunity to try both styles because by the time you go professional you pretty much have to be either an English rider or a Western rider.

In the English style, you are in more of a hunting position which makes jumping a little more difficult. In Western, the pose is more relaxed and you do not have to use as much leg.

Most people think Western is easier, but it's really not true. It's just a different riding style. Certainly Western is less physically demanding because you get to hold the reins with both hands.

Another major difference which really has nothing to do with skill is the outfits. In English, the riders are dressed in what you would consider the typical equestrian outfits, whereas in Western you can wear whatever you want - which means you can wear what you would consider American western wear (fringe, belt buckles, etc.).

Having seen our riders a few times I just think they might flourish in a Western tournament. Call it a hunch.
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Corso » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:10 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote: .... Another major difference which really has nothing to do with skill is the outfits. In English, the riders are dressed in what you would consider the typical equestrian outfits, whereas in Western you can wear whatever you want - which means you can wear what you would consider American western wear (fringe, belt buckles, etc.)....
You're kidding, right? They change their outfit/uniform between one discipline and the other?

Do all riders do both? Or do you have some who ride Western and others who ride English exclusively?

My brother and sister-in-law want to go see the team compete. Where do they compete, or ride, or whatever you call it? They were smart enough to go to Mrs. Corso and asked if we'd go .... are you going to be there? If so, I'd like to meet you so you can explain what's going on to me, since I'm (obviously) a complete novice.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:21 pm

Some of the riders only compete in one discipline, but in the NCAA most riders perform in both. English is a bit more formal and more of the classic equestrian competition you would see in the Olympics, etc.

Western is a bit more laid back and the riders have a bit more fun and expression with the outfits, etc. I would compare it to a freestyle skating competition but in equestrian it is always about the competition whereas in skating it is more for show. "The rider always competes" - it's an adage that will never fail.

The SMU riders compete locally in Las Colinas I believe. I was fortunate enough to see them last year in Canyon at the West Texas A&M Horse Show. If I am at a meet you will recognize me because I will be dressed in riding pants/boots with and English riding hat and a red SMU football jersey with #1 and HORSE on the back.

I'm so glad Title IX has allowed SMU to have such an exciting and fledgling equestrian team!
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Corso » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:00 pm

You go out in public dressed like that? Riding pants and boots? Isn't an English riding hat that little velvet covered helmet with a miniature visor on it? And a football jersey?

I assume you're kidding.
Or drinking heavily.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:18 pm

Well, to be honest, I am drinking heavily.

But, every time I have been at an SMU equestrian event I have been in my outfit.

Go Ponies!
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Sasser Rules » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:44 pm

"Every time"? How often have you gone?

This is more equestrian talk than there has been in the history of PonyFans.com.
Sasser Rules
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:50 pm

Unfortunately, I've only seen them once live but I've read all of the results on smumustangs.com and tried to follow the team the best I can.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any TV or radio coverage and smumustangs.com doesn't have any real-time scoring or anything.

Based on my knowledge of the equestrian discipline and the one time I have been blessed to see our wonderful team I really think we are on the right track and I think coach Jenny Passow is doing a wonderful job with her riders.
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby couch 'em » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:58 pm

This whole thread is one big sarcastic joke right? "I'm glad for Title IX"??
couch 'em

Postby Sasser Rules » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:06 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote: .... on the right track ....
"On the right track"? Horses? That had to be on purpose, right?
I'm thinking this thread has to be a joke, too. There's no way you're this much of an equestrian fanatic. I mean GO SMU, and all that, but .... I don't know. This is a first.
Sasser Rules
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:13 pm

A joke? You think those wonderful female student athletes aren't riding their tails off and working hard to bring SMU some glory?

They could really use our support. It's a shame smumustangs.com doesn't even keep their results up to date.

I'm sure most people think equestrian is an elite sport for the weatlthy but I just know these wonderful young women are going to bring SMU some well-deserved recognition. Without Title IX, we would not be fortunate enough to have a wonderful equestrian team with great riders and a great coach.

Good luck next weekend in Stillwater! Ride 'em Mustangs!
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMUPhil » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:26 am

*speechless*
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:15 pm

Anyone else think it would be classic to send Peruna to these events to support the girls.... With a little midget in a riding outfit on his back?
couch 'em

Postby PK » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:37 pm

couch 'em wrote:Anyone else think it would be classic to send Peruna to these events to support the girls.... With a little midget in a riding outfit on his back?
Not very PC couch 'em. I believe they prefer to be called little people. :roll:
PK

Next

Return to Other Sports