PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cooper signs with FC Dallas

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cooper signs with FC Dallas

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:48 pm

Looks like we will get to see him play against the Ponies in the Spring scrimages.

FC Dallas gets its man from Manchester
Former Jesuit star picks MLS over Manchester United

08:53 PM CST on Monday, February 6, 2006
By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

The first day of Kenny Cooper's return to Dallas couldn't have been scripted any better.

FC Dallas only hopes the rest of the homecoming goes as well, with Cooper becoming the impact forward that team officials say he can be.

Cooper, 21, the son of former Dallas Tornado goalkeeper Ken Cooper Sr., was signed Monday to a multiyear contract as a free transfer. He obtained his release from English soccer power Manchester United, where he spent 2 ½ years in the developmental reserve program. For any player, let alone an American, to voluntarily leave Man U for MLS qualifies as a surprise.

"At this time in my life, I really felt it was the best thing to do and a great situation for me," said Cooper, who described Manchester United as a first-class organization. "It's a personal choice. I was ecstatic to hear there was interest in me to come back. I jumped at it right away."

Cooper will have a chance to play immediately instead of possibly waiting years for a chance with Manchester United.

FC Dallas coach Colin Clarke scouted Cooper three times in the last 18 months, once sleeping in his car on a trip to Blackpool, England. He praised Cooper's skill and size and described him as a strong finisher.

"It is a big deal," Clarke said. "Normally the good players are going the other way [to Europe]. Now we have a chance to bring one back from Manchester United and actually balance it."

A news conference at Cooper's high school alma mater, Jesuit, brought out multiple generations of Dallas soccer. Cooper's father and Jesuit coach Charles DeLong were among several former Dallas Tornado players in attendance. FC Dallas owner Lamar Hunt came, despite not arriving from the Super Bowl until 1 a.m. Monday.

"It's very special to see, the next generation coming forward from the roots all those years ago with the Tornado," Hunt said.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:10 am

Just wait until he meets Ugo Ihemelu the next time Dallas plays Los Angeles.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:58 am

It will be interesting to see if FC Dallas also tries to get in on former SMU Forward Alex Smith. KC has the rights to pick him up, but FC Dallas could attempt to make a move.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports