PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BREAKING NEWS (for DanFreiburgerForHeisman)

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BREAKING NEWS (for DanFreiburgerForHeisman)

Postby PonyPride » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:36 pm

Flower Mound Equestrian Center named home to equestrian team
Mustangs move to Flower Mound

Feb. 10, 2006

DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU Equestrian team has signed an agreement to have the Flower Mound Equestrian Center (FMEC) serve as its official stables and training facility, Athletic Director Jim Copeland announced today.

"The Flower Mound Equestrian Center is a tremendous facility and we're excited to have it serve as the home to our equestrian program," said Copeland. "In a little over two seasons, we have become one of the top teams in our region - and the nation - and this move will only help us as we continue to improve."

The Mustang equestrian team is in its third season, all under the direction of head coach Jenny Passow. The squad had five riders finish eighth or better at last year's Varsity National Championships. The team also had three riders qualify for the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association Regional Championships, with one advancing to the Zone Championships.

"As the coach of this team, I am extremely happy about our new affiliation with Flower Mound Equestrian Center and their incredibly successful staff," stated Passow.

"Each of them has years of intercollegiate show experience, which will be integral to SMU equestrian's further success in the show arena. The horses and facility fit our every need to train top-level IHSA and NCAA riders, taking them to the top of their disciplines. We are very fortunate to have found Flower Mount Equestrian Center and its amazing trainers."

FMEC is a premier equestrian center in the DFW area. The facility offers a full range of equestrian services, including Hunter, Jumper, and Dressage. The facility also handles horse training and horse management, full-care horse boarding, local, regional, and national horse shows, in-house schooling shows, and clinics.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:47 pm

This is great! Hunter is my favorite discipline. It will be great for the equestrian team members to have a full-service stable for training.

I know a lot of people were upset about having to cut a national championship caliber sport (men's track) but I think in the long run SMU will have more national championships with the fine equestrian team! National championships can only help alumni donations and the overall athletic endowment.

Go Ponies!
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:43 pm

How far it that from the main campus? It sounds great but seems to be quite a commute. But I am sure there are very few if any first rate facilities close in .
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:39 pm

True. The distance from campus is certainly a negative. I'm sure it will hurt the number of fans showing up to watch practice and get autographs, etc.

However, I'm sure the nicer facilities will offset any negatives the distance causes. One thing I am worried about is the cost of gas for the university to transport the team to the facilities for practice. I hope the gas money doesn't detract from the money to renovate Moody or to buy new alternate football jerseys.
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:49 pm

I am sure you will keep us posted on the practice schedule. Maybe I will drop by there on the way to Lubbock next fall for the Tech game.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:27 pm

Flower Mound is in Oklahoma, correct?
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyplayer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:11 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Flower Mound is in Oklahoma, correct?

you really crack me up..................
ponyplayer
All-American

Postby PonyTales » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:01 pm

DanFFH: You can NOT possibly be this into equestrian.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby PK » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:53 am

PonyTales wrote:DanFFH: You can NOT possibly be this into equestrian.
He is close to poking a hole in his cheek as many time as he has stuck his tongue there lately. :shock:
PK

Return to Other Sports