PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's soccer announces signing class

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's soccer announces signing class

Postby PonyPride » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:59 pm

SMU Men's Soccer announces the signing of eight players
Five new Mustangs hail from Texas
March 10, 2006

DALLAS (SMU) - SMU head men's soccer coach Schellas Hyndman announced the signing of eight student-athletes for this coming fall season. They include Jaime Benetiz (Carrollton, Texas), Jared Champlin (Enid, Okla.), Leone Cruz (Round Rock, Texas), Stephen Grant (Miami, Fla.), Casey Hibbs (Brenham, Texas), Craig Hill (San Antonio, Texas), Cameron Holm (Kailua, Hawaii), and Dane Saintus (Arlington, Texas). Five of SMU's newest members hail from the state of Texas.

"We are ecstatic to have these recruits join us at SMU," stated Hyndman. "This is a very good class for us. Each of these players fill an important need for us as we look to return to the College Cup for the second straight year. This class brings depth to our squad and I expected immediate contributions from each of one these young men."

Benetiz is a 5-6 midfielder who attends Creekview High School in Carrollton, Texas. He was named to the 2005 Region III team and the North Texas State ODP team. Benetiz earned first team All-District honors in 2005. He is the son of Manuel and Vilma Benetiz.

A 6-1 forward, Champlin attends Enid High School, where he led his team in scoring and assists last season. He is a member of the TSV Wendelstein club team and is Bezirksliga champions. He is the son of Joel and Kelly Champlin.

A 6-1 defender, Cruz attends Round Rock High School. A member of the U-18 national team pool, he is also a five-year member of the ODP regional team. An NSCAA All-America selection, Cruz was also a member of the U-16 national team pool. He plays club soccer with the Austin Capitals. His parents are Leonel and Cheryl Cruz.

Grant is a 5-8 defender and attends Miami Sunset Senior High School where he served as team captain. A 2005 All-State selection, he was a member of the 2004 Florida ODP state team and 2003 Region III team. He is the son of Herbie and Beverley Grant.

Hibbs is a 6-1 midfielder and attends Brenham High School where he was a four-year starter and served as team captain the last two seasons. A two-time Gatorade Player of the Year, he was named an NSCAA/adidas All-America in 2005 and is a two-time NSCAA/adidas Texas Player of the Year. Recipient of the Diadora Cup Golden Boot in 2006, Hibbs was selected to the NSCAA/adidas All-Southwest Region team in 2005. He earned District Offensive MVP, team MVP, All-Region IV honors and was selected to the Houston Chroncilce's All-Creater Houston Area team in 2005. He plays club soccer with TSC Classic Premier in Houston. He is the son of Max and Sue Hibbs.

Hill is a 6-3 goalkeeper at Reagan High School in San Antonio where he served as team captain. A 2005 NSCAA All-American, Hill totaled 23 career shutouts with 40 starts and posts a goals-against-average of 1.12. A 2005 All-District first-team selection, Hill was a named to the TASCO All-Region IV team. He plays club soccer with the Lonestars SC. His parents are Paul and Michele Hill.

A 5-9 midfielder, Holm hails from Kailua, Hawaii and attends Hawaii Baptist Academy. Selected SMU camp MVP in 2005, Holm led his team in scoring in 2004 and served as team captain. A 2004 All-League second team selection, he was a two-year member of the Hawaii state team. After his freshman year, Holm earned first team All-League honors. He plays club soccer with the HSC Bulls. He is the son of Robert and Shizuko Holm.

A 6-0 forward, Dane Saintus is the younger brother of current SMU soccer player Dario Saintus. Dane currently attends Lamar High School in Arlington and plays club soccer with the Dallas Texans, which won the 2005 national championship. Named team MVP the last two high school seasons, Dane earned first team All-District honors the last three seasons. His parents are Ronald and Danielle Saintus.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm

Not a bad class at all. Two All-Americans and several all staters. Hibbs and Cruz look like real studs. Holm might be another one of Schellas' island gems. Not 5 All-Americans, but two every year makes 8 out of 11 on the pitch every year an All-American. And these guys will push starters for playing time which is what you want.
EastStang

Postby Ponymon » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:20 pm

Benitz is also no slouch. You need to read the thread about the 2006 soccer class below to get an idea of his abilities, which appear to be considerable! 8)
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:03 pm

A solid class with Cruz, as one of the top recruits in the country, being the highlight. It will be interesting to see where this class is ranked in comparison to the other top soccer schools. I would be surprised if we made the top ten. There were about five or six top national recruits from the Dallas area and we got one of them (Cruz). The number 1 recruit in the country (Jonathan Villanueva) is from Dallas and he went to Virginia with his second choice being Maryland. We did not get anyone from the residency program. I wonder if we are going to have any transfers or if either Jeff Harwell or Chevannes will return next fall.

I hope this post does not sound negative. We had a top 10 class last year and thie 2006 class should complement our team very well. But is it enough to make the final four again? I do not know. I do know that I hate to see top DFW national team type players going east to teams we will have to compete against in the tournament. I have only one goal, a national championship. Schellas has been one of SMU's biggest assets but we still do not have a ring.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:24 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:A solid class with Cruz, as one of the top recruits in the country, being the highlight. It will be interesting to see where this class is ranked in comparison to the other top soccer schools. I would be surprised if we made the top ten. There were about five or six top national recruits from the Dallas area and we got one of them (Cruz). The number 1 recruit in the country (Jonathan Villanueva) is from Dallas and he went to Virginia with his second choice being Maryland. We did not get anyone from the residency program. I wonder if we are going to have any transfers or if either Jeff Harwell or Chevannes will return next fall.

I hope this post does not sound negative. We had a top 10 class last year and thie 2006 class should complement our team very well. But is it enough to make the final four again? I do not know. I do know that I hate to see top DFW national team type players going east to teams we will have to compete against in the tournament. I have only one goal, a national championship. Schellas has been one of SMU's biggest assets but we still do not have a ring.
It's about time to get over the Final Four hump!

Is Maryland stacked again?
Pony_Fan

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:03 am

Are they ever. New class includes three from DFW including Omar Gonzales a 6-5 phenom.

March 5, 2006

University of Maryland SID

Maryland head coach Sasho Cirovski today announced the incoming recruits for the 2006 team. The group includes eight freshmen from five states, including players from some of the top clubs in the nation and two who are currently members of the U.S. U-17 team. The Terps also added Richard Costanzo, a transfer from Penn State who was the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2004.

The incoming high school seniors are: Omar Gonzalez (Dallas, Texas), Jeremy Hall (Tampa, Fla.), Jason Herrick (Elmhurst, Ill.), Justin Kendro (Irving, Texas), Josh Mikulewicz (Frisco, Texas), Tyler Mishalow (Fairfax, Va.), Jon Ports (Perry Hall, Md.), Drew Yates (Severna Park, Md).
Costanzo, a native of Pittsburgh, Pa., will enroll in the summer and have three years of eligibility.

"From top to bottom this is one of the strongest classes that we have brought in to Maryland," head coach Sasho Cirovski said. "We have skillful players, fast players, tall players, quick players, but the common ingredients are that they are all highly competitive people, have great character, are proven winners and have a great feel for the game.

"Obviously, we lost a tremendous group of players in our senior class. However, the combination of this incoming group with our high quality returning players, I am confident that we will continue our tradition of playing attractive and entertaining soccer. I can't wait to for preseason to begin to integrate this tremendous incoming class."

Richard Costanzo
Forward/Midfielder
5-9, 170
Thomas Jefferson HS (Penn State)
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Costanzo scored four goals and led Penn State with seven assists as a freshman in 2004 en route to earning conference freshman of the year honors and consensus freshman All-America accolades. He missed the 2005 campaign due to injury. As a high school standout at Thomas Jefferson, Costanzo was the Pennsylvania state player of the year as a senior, a two-time NSCAA All-American and a two-time regional All-American. He was twice named the WPIAL Player of the Year and helped the Jaguars to the 2002 state championship. He was also member of the U-18 national team pool in 2004. Costanzo played club with current Terp Stephen King on FC Delco.

Cirovski on Costanzo: "Richie is a skillful and physically tough player. He is driven young man with a great knowledge and appetite for the game. With his versatility, he will compete for time at striker, outside mid, or outside back."

Omar Gonzalez
Forward
6-5, 200
Bradenton Academy
Dallas, Texas
Gonzalez joined the U.S. Soccer Residency Program in January of 2005, and earned eight caps and scored three goals, including the winning score against Costa Rica in the CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament, securing the U.S. a spot in the FIFA U-17 World Championship. Gonzalez plays club soccer on one of the nation's top teams, the Dallas Texans, and was a USYSA All-American in 2005. In his two seasons at Skyline High prior to residency, he was a first team all-district player.

Cirovski on Gonzalez: "Omar has physical qualities that translate well to the college game, but what separates him are his extremely versatile technical skills and a soccer savvy beyond his years. He will be an imposing physical presence on our team, and he is capable of making big plays in both penalty boxes."

Jeremy Hall
Midfielder/Forward
5-10, 160
Bradenton Academy
Tampa, Fla.
Hall has been a member of the U.S. Soccer Residency program since 2003, and has earned 22 caps with the U-17 team. He started 12 international games in 2005, including the U-17 World Championships in Peru, making six starts. A two-time NSCAA/adidas All-American and a USYSA All-American in 2005, he was also selected to the 2004 and 2005 Parade All-America teams. As a member of the successful HC United club team, he helped the team to the Sun Bowl championship in 2005 and a pair of Atlanta Cups in the Division level.

Cirovski on Hall: "Jeremy is a silky and dynamic offensive talent. He is equally adept with both feet, has a great shot and is excellent in the air. He will compete to contribute immediately as a wide midfielder or as a striker."

Jason Herrick
Forward
5-10, 155
York HS
Elmhurst, Ill.
Herrick comes to Maryland after a successful career with the powerful Sockers FC Chicago club team, and is the first player from that club to join the Terrapins. He helped that team to four Illinois State Cup titles, as well as the Region II semifinals from 2003-05. The Sockers were a Dallas Cup finalist in 2004, and Herrick was a member of the SYL Select Team and was invited to the adidas ESP camp in 2005.

Cirovski on Herrick: "Jason is a tough, tireless worker and a competitive striker. He has a great feel for the game and has exceptional vision to put other players into play. I expect him to continue our long tradition of great forwards with his proven ability to score big goals in big games."

Justin Kendro
Midfielder
5-9, 150
Nimitz HS
Irving, Texas
Kendro is a four-year letterwinner at Nimitz High, where he has also served as team captain in three of those seasons. He was a first team all-district selection in 2004, and was the district's Utility Player of the Year in 2005. He has been a member of the North Texas ODP team since 2000, and a member of the Region III ODP team since 2002. He was also captain of the state ODP team from 2000-05. He was a member of the adidas All-American ODP Inter-regional team in 2004, and was invited to the adidas/ESP Camp in 2005.

Cirovski on Kendro: "Justin is a cross between Michael Dello-Russo and A.J. Delagarza, and will compete immediately for a spot on the back line. He can play as a center back or outside back, and as a transformed forward, he has an understanding of how to read the game defensively."

Josh Mikulewicz
Goalkeeper
6-2, 185
Frisco HS
Frisco, Texas
Mikulewicz is a two-time first team all-district selection for Frisco High in Texas. In 2005, he set a district record with 12 shutouts and registered a 0.92 goals-against average for the season. He helped lead his team to a third-place finish at the USYSA national championships in 2004, and a runner-up finish in 2005. His team was also a two-time champion at the Disney Showcase (2002-03), and won five-straight state cup titles from 2001-05.

Cirovski on Mikulewicz: "Josh has tremendous upside as a goalkeeper. He is technically very clean, has good feet and is a calming presence in goal."

Tyler Mishalow
Midfielder/Forward
5-11/160
James W. Robinson
Fairfax, Va.
Mishalow is heading into his senior season at James W. Robinson as team captain after helping the Rams to a second-place finish in the Patriot District a season ago. He scored four goals and five assists as a junior and was named to the all-district second team. Mishalow played club for Braddock Road Youth Club (BRYC), which produced former Terrapins Abe Thompson, Clarence Goodson and Jason Arnold. He also was a member of the DC United U-18 team. His father, Gene, played professionally for the Washington Diplomats and is the coach of the BRYC.

Cirovski on Mishalow: "Tyler is a skillful player who is technically strong. He possesses a coach's mind and has a great feel for the game. As his physical maturity and experience increases, so will his contributions."

Jon Ports
Defender
5-8, 150
McDonogh School
Perry Hall, Md.
Ports comes to Maryland after a successful career at the McDonogh School under coach Steve Nichols. As a senior and team captain of the Eagles, Ports was first team all-met, all-south, all-state and an All-American. As a junior, he earned all-state and honors and second team all-met recognition. In his high school career, he scored 29 goals and registered 28 assists. Ports played club for the Casa Mia's Bays, winning five state cup titles and a pair of national championships.

Cirovski on Ports: "Jon is an extremely versatile player who is capable of playing seven or eight spots on the field. He is a fierce competitor and will flourish in the right spot."

Drew Yates
Midfielder
6-1, 180
DeMatha HS
Severna Park, Md.
Drew Yates, a three-time NSCAA All-American, helped lead DeMatha to a perfect 23-0 record and the WCAC title as a senior. He was also named the Washington Post Player of the Year and the Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Maryland after scoring 14 goals and adding 10 assists. Yates spent his junior year at the U.S. Soccer Residency Program after playing two seasons at Curley High. In 2005, he was an adidas/ESP participant and was selected to the all-star game. Yates also played for the two-time national champion Casa Mia's Bays team that is one of the most accomplished club teams in the nation.

Cirovski on Yates: "Drew is a very gifted, technical player. He has the rare ability to run at people with the ball at either foot. He has a very good feel for the game and will be an exciting player for our fans to watch. Drew will compete to contribute immediately at both the midfield and forward positions."
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:39 am

Winning the National Championship will do that. Three straight appearances in the College Cup will do that. We had a young team this year and are returning the bulk of our team from last year's fine team. Add in some solid new players and with some luck, we'll be back next year. Maryland recruited a bunch of studs, but they are all freshmen. Many of the Dallas elite youth teams were at the soccer cup. They saw three SMU fans and 2,000 Maryland fans, you think they noticed?
EastStang

Postby WildHorse » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:A solid class with Cruz, as one of the top recruits in the country, being the highlight. It will be interesting to see where this class is ranked in comparison to the other top soccer schools. I would be surprised if we made the top ten. There were about five or six top national recruits from the Dallas area and we got one of them (Cruz). The number 1 recruit in the country (Jonathan Villanueva) is from Dallas and he went to Virginia with his second choice being Maryland. We did not get anyone from the residency program. I wonder if we are going to have any transfers or if either Jeff Harwell or Chevannes will return next fall.

No, we don't have a ring -- yet -- but if hacks like Jim Boeheim and Mack Brown can get rings, then a great coach like Coach Hyndman surely will get one sooner or later. He not only recruits well, he develops less-heralded players and makes them into fantastic college players (see Duke Hashimoto, etc.) He is a fantastic coach, and will bring a championship to the Hilltop!
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Other Sports