PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Equestrian Lauren Hester

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Equestrian Lauren Hester

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:29 pm

Westlake Village, CA – April 7, 2006 – Of the two Meritorious Awards given this year by the West Coast Active Riders organization, both went to young riders that train with Karen Healey of Westlake Village, CA. The award was given to 15 year old Carly Anthony of Redmond, WA, and 18 year old Lauren Hester of San Juan Capistrano, CA.

The award gives young riders a $1,000 show credit at competitions held by four different show managers: Tom Struzzieri, Dale Harvey, Larry Langer, and Robert Ridland.

In order to qualify for the award, the student/riders must have a GPA of at least 3.0, must fill out a questionnaire that includes describing “what a horseman is”, and write an essay on why the award would be helpful to them.

A WCAR Selection Committee representative commented, “Both of these girls, through their applications and through our research, demonstrated their dedication to the sport, their skills as riders, and their desire to compete in the jumper divisions at the more advanced level. This decision was very difficult as we felt all of the candidates had great qualities.”

Lauren Hester is currently a student at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX. She has trained with Karen Healey for four years, in which time she became an accomplished equitation and jumper rider. This year, Hester is aiming for the North American Young Riders competition with her mount Oxford.

Hester is a member of WCAR and was “really excited” about winning the Meritorious Award. “The idea came from my parents, Marsha and Larry Hester,” Lauren Hester explained. “I applied last year too. My focus is on school, and I didn’t expect to get rewarded for it.”

“Horse shows are expensive,” Hester acknowledged. “This award will be very helpful.”

The extra money for shows will also be a big boost for young Carly Anthony, who attends the Bear Creek School in Washington, but travels to show in California with her mother, trainer Cara Anthony. Carly is also on the varsity basketball team at school.

Carly Anthony has only recently begun training with Healey and made her first trip to show on the East Coast last year in the Medal Finals. “We respect Karen,” said Cara Anthony. “We’ve known her and her accomplishments. We wanted to choose somebody to help Carly with the basics of equitation. She was the best.”

Carly Anthony mentioned, “Karen puts all of her own hard work and effort into helping you. She understands that sometimes you might have a bad round, but that you just have to apply what you learned the next time. She’s a great person, and I enjoy riding with her.”

The Anthonys have also been members of the WCAR for many years and have been trying to figure out a way for Carly to show more in California. “It’s an amazing program,” Cara Anthony remarked. “These four show managers were so generous. It’s an expensive sport for kids like Carly, so this is really great that a program pays for things that are meaningful and where you can feel the reward immediately.”

“I like the competition in California,” Carly Anthony stated. “I get more experience for Medal Finals this way, and it really helps my riding.”

With the help of the WCAR Meritorious Awards, Carly Anthony and Lauren Hester are two names to keep an eye on in the future.

http://www.equestrianmag.com/news/heste ... -4-06.html
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:01 pm

MM65 -- have you been hanging out with DanFreiburgerForHeisman again? I thought he was the only equestrian hooligan on this site.... :wink:
PonyPride

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:34 pm

This is fantastic news! Hopefully this award will only bring positive and wonderful national recognition for our fantastic EQUESTRIAN TEAM!!!!!

Keep up the good work, SMU equestirans!

MUSTANGS! RIDE EM'!!!
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Other Sports