PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Non-revenue facilities

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Non-revenue facilities

Postby Water Pony » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:02 pm

From the Jim Copeland article, here are first rate ideas. Watch for developments. There are rumblings:

"A new swimming facility to replace the ancient Perkins Natatorium would also be nice, Copeland said.

“Both our swimming teams are really good,” he said. “I mean, they're really good. How they have done that, (in Perkins) — I'm still amazed. If we could find a major donor to put in a natatorium, that would really give us a shot in the arm as well.” :D

A “mini-campaign” is now underway to upgrade the soccer facility, Walcott Field, said Copeland, and the golf teams are in discussions with The Dallas Athletic Club about a new team facility there.:
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:31 am

I would love to see a bigshot step up and build a world class swimming facility.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Re: Non-revenue facilities

Postby Damon'sDaMan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:47 am

Water Pony wrote:From the Jim Copeland article, here are first rate ideas. Watch for developments. There are rumblings:

"A new swimming facility to replace the ancient Perkins Natatorium would also be nice, Copeland said.

“Both our swimming teams are really good,” he said. “I mean, they're really good. How they have done that, (in Perkins) — I'm still amazed. If we could find a major donor to put in a natatorium, that would really give us a shot in the arm as well.” :D

A “mini-campaign” is now underway to upgrade the soccer facility, Walcott Field, said Copeland, and the golf teams are in discussions with The Dallas Athletic Club about a new team facility there.:
I was under the impression that most of the money for a major upgrade to Westcott Field has been raised, and I thought the golf facility at DAC is already underway. Not true?
Damon'sDaMan
Junior Varsity

Postby davidsmu94 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:03 am

Wonder what Jim thought of the Track team that finished 4th at NCAA outdoors the last year they were around. That team had a track that was partially cut off due to ford, only two full time coaches (that they shared with the womans team) and a shoe string budget.
davidsmu94
Heisman

Re: Non-revenue facilities

Postby ponyplayer » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:12 pm

Damon'sDaMan wrote:
Water Pony wrote:From the Jim Copeland article, here are first rate ideas. Watch for developments. There are rumblings:

I was under the impression that most of the money for a major upgrade to Westcott Field has been raised, and I thought the golf facility at DAC is already underway. Not true?

not underway yet, however everything is in place, heard they have the blueprints on display at DAC..............................
ponyplayer
All-American

Postby Mickey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:05 pm

davidsmu94 wrote:Wonder what Jim thought of the Track team that finished 4th at NCAA outdoors the last year they were around. That team had a track that was partially cut off due to ford, only two full time coaches (that they shared with the womans team) and a shoe string budget.

They finished 3rd and if they would have gotten some points from some middle distance runners as expected they might finished higher, perhaps won the championship.
Mickey
All-American

Postby abezontar » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:41 pm

Hopefully, the recent spending by the athletic department means they are actually going to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to having competitive revenue sports. Hopefully, they can make us a consistent success in revenue sports. Hopefully, those revenue sports will start bringing in money so that we can start bringing back some of what we have had to hack off.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:51 am

Damon'sDaMan -
Your statement:

Does that mean they are planning new 'brick' bleachers & a pressbox or simply new turf?

Just curious. :?:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PonyPride » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:54 am

Based on the artist's rendering I saw (a few months ago), they bricked in the area under the bleachers, designed a new press box (hopefully with air conditioning!) new lights for the field (badly needed) and I think new turf with a new drainage system. I'm not sure where the financing stands.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:05 am

sounds nice to me -

i don't care for soccer but its a product we have & a product we must sell -
if that is indeed the case - that should really look nice with ford next door & the adjoining buildings - all with the same architecture -

any pictures on the web we can see?

whoops - i found this on the athletic site
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/sch ... omplex.pdf

interesting :P
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Other Sports