PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Interesting Soccer Thread on SMU

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Interesting Soccer Thread on SMU

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:06 pm

This is from Big Soccer on what is wrong with SMU Soccer

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthre ... erid=73254
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:23 pm

Some nitwit suggested that when UT starts to throw money (uh .... starts) a men's soccer program, he wants to erase SMU from the soccer recruiting map. Good luck with that, pal. I'm sure UT will back the Brinks truck up to some high-powered coach's house, so they'll land some good players. But as long as Coach Hyndman is around, we won't have any reason to be worried.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:00 am

LOL :lol:

kind of funny in a way -

for many of us older fellas living in today's wacko times, you can probably say that today's 'hardass' was yesterday's open-minded happy-go-lucky coach -
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PonyPride » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:46 am

Coach Hyndman is a disciplinarian in the sense that he expects his players to do things the right way, and that means the way they play, the way they practice, the way they carry themselves off the field, the way they represent the team and the university and the way the handle their academics. Yes, he's extremely demanding, which might also explain why he's won more games than all but just a couple of active coaches in the nation. If there's one coach who could rest on his laurels (his record and reputation), it's Coach Hyndman, yet he never does. The notion that he's too tough on his players is comical. Mess up, and he'll tell you about it, and he won't be subtle. But to suggest that he's too rough? Please. I've seen countless coaches in professional and college sports dress down their players far worse than Coach Hyndman, and in the nearly 20 years I've covered his team (OK, that stings a little), he's as fair and professional a coach as I've seen in any sport. The whiners on that site are insane. Want to see how good he is? Wait until he retires.
Hopefully that won't be for a long time.
PonyPride

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:02 am

well said ponypride!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:02 pm

There have always been prima donnas with attitude at the pro level and now with ODP, national, regional and state teams and the residency program, we are seeing some of that in the top college programs that rely on this level of player. Of course, good coaches such as Schellas will not tolerate a player like this for long. In addition, with the time demands on top players from their college and national teams, it takes dedication and hard work to succeed academically.

I posted this thread as an example that SMU Soccer is being talked about on boards other than ponyfans. There is a lot of interest in college soccer at the nationa level and all the exposure SMU gets (which for the most part is positive) can only help in recruiting and national reputation.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon May 01, 2006 10:27 am

As long as Coach H remains on board we'll have a quality soccer program. Sure some kids won't come and some will leave because he's a tough coach. Happens to great coaches all the time. Ask Bobby Knight. The thing is that they know when they know what they'll be getting when they come here, and they'll have a great education and will be better for having played here and they get to date hot chicks at SMU. SMU has been to the final four twice in soccer in the last six years. Players know if they come to SMU they'll have a chance to go dancing. Only Indiana, New Mexico and Maryland can make similar claims.
EastStang

Postby giacfsp » Mon May 08, 2006 12:32 pm

Even after Coach Hyndman retires -- which I hope never happens -- we'll have a quality program. He has created such a reputation within the soccer community, and Texas has so many good players, that quality coaches would line up to take over the program. First in line, I would guess, would be Brent Erwin .... who coached for Steve-O at Central Florida after serving as Coach Hyndman's assistant (and ace recruiter) at SMU. He might be a little green now, but I don't see Coach Hyndman retiring any time soon. If we're talking 5-10 years from now .... I bet Coach Erwin gets a long look.

Thankfully, this is one bridge I hope we won't have to cross for years to come.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon May 08, 2006 12:35 pm

As long as SMU has the only Division I men's soccer program in Texas, it will have an excellent opportunity to succeed.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports