PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Duke Hashimoto to RSL

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Duke Hashimoto to RSL

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed May 31, 2006 2:20 pm

SOCCER
Crew trades for goalkeeper
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Shawn Mitchell
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Without a healthy goalkeeper after the loss of veteran Jon Busch to a season-ending knee injury, the Crew wasted little time addressing its most pressing concern.

Columbus yesterday acquired Real Salt Lake keeper Noah Palmer in a trade for the rights to rookie forward Duke Hashimoto and a first-round pick in 2007. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Palmer started and went the distance in a 3-1 exhibition win over the Cincinnati Kings last night in Obetz. A third-round pick in the expansion draft last year, Palmer reportedly was pushing Jay Nolly for Salt Lake’s backup spot.

"Out of all the third goalkeepers in the league, he was definitely the better quality guy," coach Sigi Schmid said. "We were talking to Salt Lake about getting him before Busch went down."

Palmer started one reserveleague game last year before undergoing season-ending surgery on his right rotator cuff. He has made one start in the reserve league this season.

"I was getting frustrated in Salt Lake, but I walked into what looks to be a great situation," said Palmer, who helped Maryland to three straight NCAA College Cup appearances. "I know I’ll really have to prove myself here, though."

Backup Bill Gaudette has recovered from a broken right wrist quicker than expected and was cleared to begin light handling today. Rookie Andy Gruenebaum, who replaced Busch during a 1-1 tie with D.C. United on Saturday, is scheduled for surgery on Thursday to repair a broken right wrist.

Schmid said the Crew is not done pursuing another keeper.

"It’s a stopgap for right now," he said. "We’re still looking."

Hashimoto, a fourth-round pick in the SuperDraft, was not under contract with the Crew, although he played in weekend reserve-league games for Columbus while finishing his business degree at Southern Methodist.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Corso » Wed May 31, 2006 4:20 pm

Good luck in Salt Lake, Duke.
(Columbus will regret trading him!)
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Other Sports