PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN: It's Whirl Cup for SMU's Hyndman

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN: It's Whirl Cup for SMU's Hyndman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:45 am

By STEVE DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

No one can accuse SMU's longtime soccer coach of stepping meekly into his World Cup experience.

Schellas Hyndman leaves today for Germany, where he will see 13 matches in 14 days.

He will travel between cities every day except one from today until June 23, a helter-skelter pace that will take him through Frankfurt, Cologne, Gelsenkirchen, Stuttgart, Dortmund, Kaiserslautern and Munich, some with multiple stops.

The tournament starts Friday. Hyndman visits Munich to see the opener, Germany against Costa Rica. He'll take a three hour-plus train ride to see England face Paraguay the next day in Frankfurt, then another intercity train a day later to see Portugal face Angola in Cologne, and so on.

He finishes with Brazil-Japan in Dortmund on June 22. Then it's back to Dallas to run his summer soccer camps.

"It really is a dream trip," he said.

Hyndman, who had some help from soccer contacts in acquiring tickets, is traveling with six longtime friends. And he's paying for his share.

"Hey, I don't want to act like it's no big deal," he said. "It is money. But it's all worth it for the soccer education. The tactics. Seeing what's going on in the game.

"And the other thing, of course, is for the pleasure of seeing the games."

Another prominent Dallas soccer face won't make the trip, however. And that is unusual.

Hunt Sports Group patriarch Lamar Hunt, who has missed one World Cup since 1966, won't attend this one.

"I just can't do all the walking," Hunt, 73, said.

In 2002, he not only went to the World Cup, but Hunt also visited every venue in the co-hosting countries, South Korea and Japan.

His sons will keep the family legacy going. Clark Hunt will attend a few games. Dan Hunt will be in Germany for the duration of the tournament.

Both sons are involved in the HSG holdings, which include FC Dallas.

Lamar Hunt got hooked on soccer by watching the 1966 World Cup. He attended games in Mexico in 1970 and Germany in 1974 but said he got worried about talk of crime in Argentina for the 1978 event and opted not to go. He said he regrets that decision.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:49 am

I am so glad we have Schellas
smupony94

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:15 am

Perhaps a bit of recruiting? SMU Swimming and Track and Field have been very successful in Europe.

:idea:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby PonyPride » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:51 pm

I don't know. They've already signed six, I think -- three HS guys and three transfers -- so I don't know how much room they have left. But you're right, of course .... I'm sure he wouldn't look the other way if he stumbles upon a talented kid.
PonyPride

Postby EastStang » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:55 pm

Aren't there fewer "football" amateurs in Europe? Don't they start grooming them for the European leagues at a fairly young age and they play professionally before they're 18? The really good ones probably already play for a club team.
EastStang

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:48 pm

Schellas has actually added 13 new players for next season. There are many youth players in Europe playing on the age group club teams operated by professional teams that retain there amateur status. The big question is whether the player would qualify academically. Over the years, we have had several great players from outside the US. Schellas could look at possible players for 2007 and 2008.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports