PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Well darn.... USA related

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Well darn.... USA related

Postby ThadFilms » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:02 am

Our national side really screwed the pooge today (or yesterday as it were)... just a disgusting display of a lack of heart.

BEAT ITALY!

And I think that's a plea more than a battle cry.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SmooPower » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:14 am

Rather disappointing, yes. :oops:
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 am

Donovan and Beasley should have been called out for their lack of ambition and quality play during hte run-up to the World Cup. They just carried that poor form over. Both were horrible and the US attack lacked any imagination. A very poor performance by the US team, and while I didn't expect them to win against a very good Czech or Italy team, I expected them to show a little more.
JasonB

Postby ClassOf81 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:46 pm

Beasley was pitiful yesterday. I can't ever remember seeing a national team player turn the ball over that often. He looked terrified to even be on the field.
No way he can be allowed to start against Italy.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:27 pm

This team is overrated. It has shown no creativity in the offense and appears a step slow on the defensive end. It may be time for a new coach with new ideas. While Donovan may be a star in MLS, he pales against world class competition. He needs to get over his "home sickness" and attempt to get on a top club overseas where he can improve his game at the highest level. It says a lot that our top go to guy plays MLS rather than Premier League, Bundesliga, Spainish League or Series A.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big Easy Pony » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:04 pm

Agreed. Anyone who watched Brazil today realizes that while we've come miles in recent years, our climb into the world's elite is equally long, if not longer.
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby jkflamebo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:53 pm

what's the score gonna be tomorrow guys, any bold/outrageous/heroic/stupid predictions? im callin 2-1 United States of America
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:54 pm

Actually, I agree with your prediction.
Brian McBride scores the game-winner in stoppage time.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby PonyPride » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:00 pm

That will be impressive, especially after he had his face split open in the first half.

Why do networks keep hiring Brent Musberger and letting him do prize gigs? NBA finals? World Cup? That guy is brutal.
PonyPride

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:01 pm

US played well today especially after being relegated to only 9 players early in the second half. The tie is OK under the circumstances.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:32 pm

That referee should be removed from the tournament. He was TERRIBLE. To be fair, he did not determine the outcome -- he was equally pathetic each way. But he was flat-out awful. Mastroeni's ejection was OK, I guess he came in hard, spikes up. But Pope never should have been booked, and there were countless calls -- both ways -- that were just wrong, not just a matter of opinion. Considering the officiating, a 1-1 tie against Italy was terrific.
Need to come up big against Ghana.
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby me@smu » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:59 am

Mastroeni shouldn't have seen a straight red for that tackle...he came in late but that is a yellow card offense. I loved the effort USA put forth today, that is what we needed to see and got a good result.

Only two scenarios that we go through now though are: 1)Italy beats Czech and we beat Ghana. 2) We beat Ghana really bad and Italy beats Czech with the difference in the games resulting in a +4 to the US. Any others I have missed?
me@smu
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:48 am

Even if we win and Italy wins, making up the goal differential is the killer. We would be tied with CR and G. We are currently -3 while CR is +1 and G is even. So if Italy were to win 1-0, we would need to win 4-0 to advance. I believe that is correct. If CR were to lose by more goals, this would make it easier for us.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hal » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:31 am

I don' think that's right. If we win and Italy wins, Italy will will win the group with 7 points (win over Ghana, tie with U.S., win over Czech Republic). The U.S. would be second with four points from our impending win over Ghana and our tie with Italy. Ghana and the Czech Republic would have have three points each, so the goal differential.

The goal differential only comes into play if the Italians and Czechs tie (and of course we beat Ghana), if my math is right.
Hal
Varsity

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:48 am

Your right. I failed to figure in the three points fior the win. But if CR and Italy tie, CR will be +1 so we will need 5 goals to none, I believe to advance.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports