PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Well darn.... USA related

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby JasonB » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:23 pm

JesuitPony wrote:What a disappointing World Cup for our side. One goal? We only scored one ####ing goal? I am not sure if the problem is with the coaching, the current crop of players, the experience and/or style of American players, or what, but I hope that USA Soccer looks long and hard in the mirror and makes sure that we have a team that can compete in 2010 (assuming we qualify). We have a world class player in Freddy Adu in the pipeline. Let's hope they bring him along right.

The changes start with MLS. One of the major things they could do is raise the minimum salary level. The top tier players are of good quality, but the minimum salary needs to raise so that the entire rosters are strong. This develops depth and also forces people to compete for jobs, which makes them better and develop faster. The main problem with the US team is that nobody is challenging Donovan for a spot in the lineup, even though he has played poorly for country and club for the last 3 months.

US soccer has certainly upgraded the talent level over the past 10 years, but they need to find players who can push Donovan and Beasley and they need to find a coach willing to adjust the system and sit players when not in form.

We are lucky in that the US team will be a better team in 2010, but if MLS steps it up now, we can make sure that the 2010 team will be a success.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:43 pm

Arena needs to step down and hand over the reins to a new coach. He's taken this team as far as he can take them. It's time for a new era in USA soccer - one where we do not lose to GHANA!
CalallenStang

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:08 pm

Arena has done a fantastic job with the US national team but I agree it is time for him to step aside. We need a new set of eyes as to player potential. This is a new era in US soccer and we need someone with new ideas and creativity. We are at best a mid level team on the world scene and we will not go to the next level until a majority of our national starting players are playing at the highest level on a regular basis, which means in the Premiership or the various top European leagues. MLS is and will continue to be a good soccer league but it is not on a par day in and day out with the top leagues in the world, which is where most of the world class players play. I doubt if we currently have anyone who could even start for most of the top national teams.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:15 am

mustangbill67 wrote:Arena has done a fantastic job with the US national team but I agree it is time for him to step aside. We need a new set of eyes as to player potential. This is a new era in US soccer and we need someone with new ideas and creativity. We are at best a mid level team on the world scene and we will not go to the next level until a majority of our national starting players are playing at the highest level on a regular basis, which means in the Premiership or the various top European leagues. MLS is and will continue to be a good soccer league but it is not on a par day in and day out with the top leagues in the world, which is where most of the world class players play. I doubt if we currently have anyone who could even start for most of the top national teams.

Gooch would start for most national teams. Donovan would be fighting for a position, but at right mid, not up top or in the middle. Beasley would be fighting for a left mid or left back position for most teams. Reyna would start for most national teams. But, other than that, yes, you are correct we don't have a lot of players who would start on top level national teams.

In 2010, the US will have a very good team. I would like to point out that next year, there will be 12 US players playing in the EPL. Right now, the US team is caught in a spot where there are a lot of injuries, and a lot of players that are either too young or too old to succeed on the international stage. In 2010, the mix is going to be a lot better, because a lot of good players (Adu, Donovan, Beasley, Dempsey, Eddie Johnson, Convey, Gooch, Bocanegra, Gibbs, Demerit, Hanneman, Howard, Nguyen, Whitbread, Simek, Spector, Cooper, Rolfe, Jaqua, Marshall) are going to be more into their prime.

It is definately time for Arena to step aside. When coaches stay at the national team level for too long, they start coaching "not to lose" instead of staying aggressive and coaching to win. We need a coach who is going to bring a new level of understanding to the US game. Hopefully a Dutch coach who will place an emphasis on defensive organization combined with offensive flair.
JasonB

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:08 pm

Don't forget our Mustang Ugo on defense. He has the toughness that we need on the back line.
EastStang

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:07 pm

EastStang wrote:Don't forget our Mustang Ugo on defense. He has the toughness that we need on the back line.

Don't disagree but the jury is out on him. We need to see how he progresses against players with a higher degree of skill and pressure before we know what we really have. Playing well at the college and MLS level does not necessarily translate into playing well on the world stage. Being fast and tough is only a part of the equation. Developing a high level of skill and being able to execute that skill while under world class pressure is what it is all about. That is why we need a national coach with an outstanding ability to judge potential and to put those players with true potential in a position to have a chance to reach the top level.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:43 pm

Skill is definitely important at a higher level, but in the World Cup, quickness and toughness on defense are clearly needed. A quick fullback who challenges opponents can really help. I think as the "U.S. style" develops you will probably see it evolve into tough hard hitting fullbacks and a mixture of offensive styles.
EastStang

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:07 pm

Man that sucked.

Might have set US soccer back ten-fifteen years, if not for Adu. I mean people will watch again four years from now only because people will say, ahh I'm not watching this time - only because of Adu, can the response be "yeah, but..."

Still a major, major setback.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:54 am

Quotes from Bruce Arena after the U.S. was sent home from the world cup.

"More Americans must extend themselves in challenging European environments. MLS is no preparation tool for facing sophisticated opponents in the World cup grinder. We need more of our younger, talented players...in a year-round soccer environment. We need them playing in more intense games to help develop them mentally, as well as soccer-wise."

Exactly! Landon Donovan are you listening?
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:09 am

MLS are you listening? I'm tired of our "major" soccer league being no more than a bush league! If we can't get the quality up by relying on American players, then bring in players from elsewhere! In Europe, the teams have star players from around the world. We need to have that here!

But that will only happen when people start to go to games, and people will only start to go to games when MLS starts catering to the local people by allowing them to name teams instead of catering to already knowledgable soccer fans by naming teams things like "Real Salt Lake" or "Chivas USA" (I didn't even know where that team was located until I looked it up...they are in Los Angeles by the way).
CalallenStang

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:30 am

I am a FC Dallas season ticket holder and while the games are enjoyable, the level of play is no where near the level in England, Europe, South America or even Mexico that I see on TV. I do not believe the team names have much to do with attendance and I also believe the MLS has to proceed with baby steps as far as increasing payroll costs. The level of play does seem to be getting better every year. Once there are more soccer friendly stadiums such as the one in Dallas, more effective marketing across the country and progressive increases in the level of play, attendance will increase. There is pending prioposal to allow each team to carry one star international player off the books but I do not know where this is going. The bottom line is that all our recognized star players need to be playing regularly in a higher level league. The MLS lshould be a vehicle for other players to become recognized and gain a berth in a higher level league. BTW, Chivas is the Dallas Cowboys of Mexican soccer. MLS put a Chivas owned team in LA because of the hugh Hispanic population
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:43 pm

Yes, I know who Chivas is, but with a name like Chivas USA, I didn't know what city they were from. I'd be fine with Los Angeles Chivas.

I liked the Dallas Burn nickname better than FC Dallas, I like the Houston Dynamo name better than Real Salt Lake, etc. The American public is used to supporting teams that go by cities and nicknames, and the best way to market right now is by having a nickname. If you don't believe me, let's look at the facts:

Los Angeles Galaxy last year drew an average of 24,204 fans. Chivas USA: 17,080. They play in the same stadium.

Since that's the only market that we can look at a team both with an American-nicknamed team and an international-nicknamed team in the same stadium, that has to be the comparison we draw.

As far as your assertion that the MLS needs to be a developmental league, I agree for the status quo. But as the MLS continues to grow, it needs to eventually start competing for players internationally. This, I think, is 10-15 years away.

I do think they need more soccer-friendly stadiums and better marketing, but that's not the only problem the MLS has right now.
CalallenStang

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:12 pm

I do not think we really disagree about much except I prefer FC Dallas. As to Chivas, I recall reading somewhere that last year Chivas was trying to get by on its name alone with litttle marketing and money being put in the team. That was supposed to change but I do not have any attendance figues to compare for this year.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ThadFilms » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:44 pm

JasonB wrote:In 2010, the mix is going to be a lot better, because a lot of good players (Adu, Donovan, Beasley, Dempsey, Eddie Johnson, Convey, Gooch, Bocanegra, Gibbs, Demerit, Hanneman, Howard, Nguyen, Whitbread, Simek, Spector, Cooper, Rolfe, Jaqua, Marshall) are going to be more into their prime.

I'd like to add Dallas Jesuit product (and one time SMU recruit and current FC Dallas star in the making) Kenny Cooper to that list. I think he has great upside, and after a couple years seasoning in the MLS, I think a return to Europe could be in the cards. At that point, I think he will be more than ready to compete and win a national side roster spot.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:23 am

mustangbill67 wrote:I do not think we really disagree about much except I prefer FC Dallas. As to Chivas, I recall reading somewhere that last year Chivas was trying to get by on its name alone with litttle marketing and money being put in the team. That was supposed to change but I do not have any attendance figues to compare for this year.

We'll see how the final attendance levels come out. FC Dallas does have a better logo, I'll give you that.
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports