PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Harwell and Chevannes Back on Roster

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Harwell and Chevannes Back on Roster

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:54 pm

A new 2006 roster of 32 players has been posted. Included are Jeff Harwell and Adrian Chevannes, two outstanding players who dropped off the roster last year during the season. The return of these guys, a strong freshman recruiting class and the addition of several highly touted transfers bodes well for the season. The competition to start or even play will be fierce. It should be very interesting.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:06 pm

gonna be brutal trying to cement a spot in the starting line-up. i figure nearly every spot is open excluding needham, gonzales, guarda, da silva, maybe sandbo. whata u guys think?
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby saprissa13 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:44 pm

I would tend to agree, although this situation may be disheartening for the vast number of players Schellas has brought in. It sort of sends the message that if you're not ready to fight for a spot, there is no place for you on this team. Also glad to see Harwell back, he certainly showed flashes of brilliance during his shortened season.
saprissa13

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:18 pm

Do not forget Daniel Lopez in your starting lineup. A national under 20 player along with Sandbo, he was outstanding last year although playing out of position at right back. Although I do not have the figures before me, he may have had as a freshman more minutes than any other player.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:54 pm

saprissa13 wrote:It sort of sends the message that if you're not ready to fight for a spot, there is no place for you on this team.
If you weren't going to make kids fight for their spot on the team, what is the point in having so many players to begin with, For the same reason you have more than one player at any position, it is the competition for playing time that makes them all better. Any kid who is not willing to "fight" for his playing time probably needs to be on a club team some place.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:59 am

Sandbo will have to fight too. Remember last year, he got benched and we went on a tear. So, no position is safe. Everyone will need to produce or will see the game from the sidelines. Its nice to be in that position for one our teams. I wish we had the problem in basketball.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby saprissa13 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:49 pm

To be absolutely clear, I have no problem with competiton in a squad, especially one of our caliber. However, with the recent deluge of players, Schellas will likely not be able to take chances like he did last year with a player like Danny Hernandez or Mirsky or Bruno. We may instead give more time to transfers who are bigger, stronger, more experienced, leaving behind potential gems who may not get a chance to shine. Obviously if they're coming in not ready to work, then they can join me on the intramural field. I just hope Schellas hasn't given himself too hard of a task picking a team.
saprissa13

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:44 pm

saprissa13 wrote:To be absolutely clear, I have no problem with competiton in a squad, especially one of our caliber. However, with the recent deluge of players, Schellas will likely not be able to take chances like he did last year with a player like Danny Hernandez or Mirsky or Bruno. We may instead give more time to transfers who are bigger, stronger, more experienced, leaving behind potential gems who may not get a chance to shine. Obviously if they're coming in not ready to work, then they can join me on the intramural field. I just hope Schellas hasn't given himself too hard of a task picking a team.

I am sure you mean Danny Lopez not Hernandez. None of these guys are a mystery to Schellas. While freshman do not have the college experience of a returning starter or experienced tranfers, many of the top freshman have extensive club, ODP and national team experience as well as international experience at a top level. They are not like college football freshman. They can come in and be highly competitive for a starting position. Most of them expect to start. The main key to making the starting lineup is not age or experince but the best players who have the ability and willingness to play in Schellas's system.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports