PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MEN'S SOCCER CLAIMS No. 1 RANKING

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

MEN'S SOCCER CLAIMS No. 1 RANKING

Postby PonyPride » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Men's soccer ranked #1 in all four national polls

SMU sports a 6-0-0 record, including four wins over nationally-ranked teams

Sept. 12, 2006

DALLAS (SMU) - After claiming victory in its first six games of the season, including four wins over nationally-ranked teams, the SMU men's soccer team has climbed up to the No. 1 ranking position in all four national polls released this week.

The Mustangs hold the top spot in the NSCAA/adidas poll, Soccer Times.com Coaches' poll, Soccer America.com poll and the College Soccer News.com poll.

The last time SMU held the top spot in all four polls was at the end of the 2001 regular season when SMU entered the NCAA Tournament undefeated with a record of 19-0-0. The Mustangs closed out that campaign with a 21-1-0 record after a 2-0 loss to St. John's at SMU's Ford Stadium in quarterfinal play.

SMU (6-0-0) closes out its homestand with a contest against Centenary (1-4-0) Tuesday evening (Sept. 12) at Westcott Field. Kick-off is set for 7:00 p.m.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:18 pm

Terrific news. As a Non-revenue sport junky, this is very cool. Good luck Ponies for the balance of the regular season. Get strong for your long, post season run.

8)
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:52 pm

Hey CUSA is no longer a cake walk. UAB, Kentucky, South Carolina have been nationally ranked as well. UCF hired one of Schellas' assistants, so they won't be a pushover. Tulsa always gives us fits. So, there's still a lot of soccer to play. We also have New Mexico this week. Also a tough team. No rest for the Mustangs. He is making sure that we're going to be tough come the end of the season.
EastStang

Postby Big10Ponyfan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Congratulations, boys!! You deserve it. That's a rough non-conference schedule to get through. Good luck the rest of the way.
Big10Ponyfan

Postby SMUltimedia » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:08 pm

As a senior, I went to my first ever soccer game tonight and I have to say it was a lot of fun.

With all evening (and mostly Saturday) games to go, all this sport needs is a little pregame tailgating or happy hour and I think it could be way more fun than football.

After all, they win.
SMUltimedia
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:25 am

If you think tonight was fun -- pounding the college version of a high school JV team -- you should have been there over the weekend when the Ponies beat a couple of top-20 teams. The Ponies cranked it up several notches over what we saw tonight. Brown is a terrific team, and SMU just unraveled those guys. I'm not ready (yet) to say this team is better than the team a few years ago that spent most of the year at No. 1, but this bunch is on the way. The starters are kicking major tail and the Ponies are getting better production from their reserves than any team in the last 20 years. I've never seen a team this deep. C-USA is better than it's been in years, so winning the conference crown and maintaining the top spot in the polls will be no cakewalk. But the potential this team is enormous.
PonyPride

Return to Other Sports