PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Men- Wescott field

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Men- Wescott field

Postby smusoccerguy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:06 pm

I know Wescott field was just redone, and the bleachers seat more than enough for the amount of fans that attend, but would the Men's soccer team since they are #1 and all, have any chance of playing a game in Ford Stadium?

Does anyone know if this is even possible, although I know highly unlikely, but wouldnt that be a much more intense setting when we play ranked teams??
smusoccerguy

Postby PonyPride » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:22 pm

I highly doubt it. The last time the Ponies played in there, they were 21-0 and ranked first in the country, and got knocked out of the NCAAs by St. John's. It's a better facility for the fans, but the Westcott grass is still grass, which is preferable over any artificial surface. Plus, Ford would look emptier with the same-sized crowd. Let's sell out Westcott before we worry about it -- I don't see Coach Hyndman OK-ing that unless Steve-O really leans on him, and that's not likely.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUPhil » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:59 am

Also, in Ford, since a soccer field is wider than a football field, it was difficult to see the sideline play because of the brick wall. The field was so close to the wall that they put in those blue pads at the corners (I think they're still there) and a proper corner kick was near impossible because you couldn't back up to kick it. Not to mention how lame a 3-5000 person crowd looks in a 32,000 seat stadium. Stick with Westcott and get loud and rowdy!
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:20 pm

SMUPhil wrote:Also, in Ford, since a soccer field is wider than a football field, it was difficult to see the sideline play because of the brick wall. The field was so close to the wall that they put in those blue pads at the corners (I think they're still there) and a proper corner kick was near impossible because you couldn't back up to kick it. Not to mention how lame a 3-5000 person crowd looks in a 32,000 seat stadium. Stick with Westcott and get loud and rowdy!

Welcome back from the abyss, phil! You going to make it to Ford anytime this season?
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports